DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does leaving gimbal clamp on damage the gimbal?

Bunraku

Reactions
Hi

Just started my Mavic pro and stupidly forgot to remove the gimbal clamp.

Seems OK, and I don't expect to do it again. However can this break your gimbal or is it something that you could do a hundred times and never do any damage?

Thanks

Your motors are trying to stabilize and are straining against the mount every time you leave it on before, so it's definitely not something to repeat over and over again.

It's a bit like forgetting to release the hand brake on your car. A few times OK. Leave it on too long, it'll damage it.

Ah the good old days. :)

Similar to your parking brake, if you leave the clamp on too many times, you will eventually get an odor of burning electronics, meaning your gimbal motors have overheated. In the old days, that distinct burning smell in your car meant only one things, your rear brakes were frying due to forgetting to disengage your parking brake. Thankfully, my new car has an electronic parking brake, so the car wont move if it's on. Wish the Mavic had either no gimbal lock, ala Spark, or a warning message that will not let you fly unless it is removed. The current message will let you fly for as long as you want with the lock on, on the Mavic and Phantom 3 series. A nemesis for newbies.

Hello how is everyone ? I live in the Dayton Ohio area was wondering does anyone know anyone that has actually worked on or replaced the gimbal assembly on a mavic pro recently wrecked mine it doesn't appear that the rubber bands are stretched or broke but the whole camera assembly has broken off and stretch the cable that goes up into the front of the mavic pro I ordered a tool kit off of eBay and soon will order the camera and necessary pieces to fix it but very nervous about attempting to fix it can't really afford to send it to DJI or pay one of these drone shops can anyone please help

Hello how is everyone ? I live in the Dayton Ohio area was wondering does anyone know anyone that has actually worked on or replaced the gimbal assembly on a mavic pro recently wrecked mine it doesn't appear that the rubber bands are stretched or broke but the whole camera assembly has broken off and stretch the cable that goes up into the front of the mavic pro I ordered a tool kit off of eBay and soon will order the camera and necessary pieces to fix it but very nervous about attempting to fix it can't really afford to send it to DJI or pay one of these drone shops can anyone please help

Im starting a new thread for you so that you can get more direct answers:

Replacing the gimbal assembly

Reactions: silverdragon
Most everyone has done this when new. I expect it comes from nerves to trying to remember everything. To overcome this I taped a short piece of ribbon that reminded me until it became a habit to remove in preflight checklist mentally

Reactions: Former Member
Nobody here knows for sure.
One thing is sure. A lot of people do this and none of their gimbals seem to have been damaged.

Could your gimbal be damaged by restricting it? I think that's certainly a possibility.

Hi

Just started my Mavic pro and stupidly forgot to remove the gimbal clamp.

Seems OK, and I don't expect to do it again. However can this break your gimbal or is it something that you could do a hundred times and never do any damage?

Thanks
Gimbal Clamp; Anybody here want to prove it that leaving Gimbal Clamp on for 100 times will damage Gimbal? Not me. That way we will know for sure, And the posts
on this thread will not be guesses as someone has said.

Reactions: Vegasdad
I put a miniature "Remove before flight" tag on it with a short length of braided fishing line so it is outside the dome cover. Works every time.

Reactions: Former Member
I never use the gimbal clamp just for that same reason, "forgetfulness"

That's foolish if you transport it. The gimbal is very delicate. DJI didn't put it there for show.
I have my complete kit in a Pelican Case with foam padding. I can drop it without fear of damage. And it sits in the back of the Land Rover Defender getting all kinds of rough rides.

Eric

Nobody here knows for sure. The posts in this thread are guesses IMO.
I’m with you, Mrs Treat. Seems very likely Mavic Pro is engineered not to destroy itself when gimble doesn’t respond as expected. Has anyone even heard of a gimble motor/control/structure failing, except from external stress, like a crash?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000