DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

I'm finally on board that this is indeed an issue. I've tried every possible setting in a scientific way (with and without Polar's ND filters). Guess I'm going to have to contact DJI support. Sigh.

Dude. I'm sorry. I returned mine twice and finally have a usable unity. Have you tried resetting the camera settings. That always worked for me although it was only a tempory fix. It seemed that as soon as I started messing with camera settings again it would come back. Some say that if you do a full factory reset using the assistant software NOT the app that it will fix it permenatly, but I can't vouch for that.

Dude. I'm sorry. I returned mine twice and finally have a usable unity. Have you tried resetting the camera settings. That always worked for me although it was only a tempory fix. It seemed that as soon as I started messing with camera settings again it would come back. Some say that if you do a full factory reset using the assistant software NOT the app that it will fix it permenatly, but I can't vouch for that.
Same for me, it keeps reverting back to water color and mushy crappy images.

After trying all sorts of thinks to get rid of the watercolour effect and bad focus problems I tried the suggestion posted here to reset the camera and went back to filming in 2.7k and auto and it seems to work. Anyone know if you set the focus manually and then turn the aircraft off to change batteries does it reset the focus? I think I know what the answer will be. I do think the focus and watercolour is linked in the way that if you have blur on the right or left side you almost always have the watercolour effect as well. To rub salt in the wounds of the mavic camera problems I have been flying a Spark supplied to me at the same spots as my mavic and on my 50' TV I'd have to say the Spark footage looks better! and no rubbish focus system!

After trying all sorts of thinks to get rid of the watercolour effect and bad focus problems I tried the suggestion posted here to reset the camera and went back to filming in 2.7k and auto and it seems to work. Anyone know if you set the focus manually and then turn the aircraft off to change batteries does it reset the focus? I think I know what the answer will be. I do think the focus and watercolour is linked in the way that if you have blur on the right or left side you almost always have the watercolour effect as well. To rub salt in the wounds of the mavic camera problems I have been flying a Spark supplied to me at the same spots as my mavic and on my 50' TV I'd have to say the Spark footage looks better! and no rubbish focus system!

How do you reset the camera? I never heard of this feature!

since filming with +1 sharpening i have no more watercolour issues,however i do then need to use neat video to sort the video out afterwards.
Either way it is pretty ****** with an expensive drone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same for me, it keeps reverting back to water color and mushy crappy images.
Please understand: the watercolor effect and mushy pics are not an issue for the Mavic, it's a "feature" of the poor camera, and all complaints&claims to DJI or even Mavic exchanges (except of some really ****** peaces) will not sort this out. (also the vignette effect / red hot spot under some light conditions etc.)

There were reported (by customers, not by DJI) only two ways how to reduce this AFAIK:
1) stay on FW .700 with so far the best compression algorhytms with not so bad noise reduction, and/or
2) use +1 sharpening, correct exposure (shutter/ISO with correct ND filters), and eventually also filming in 2,7k (to reduce flickering effect)

yes - there is also the third way - use postprocessing, what has to be combined with both previous bullets anyway...

Hope this helps a bit, cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you reset the camera? I never heard of this feature!

I am not sure if the "Reset" in the menu also clears all cutom values set for the camera,
the same as Reset but without deleting the parameters is switch to PAL/NTSC... but you have to do this always with the new battery before the filming (what su*ks a bit).

I completely understand what you mean.

I have a bebop and I thought I might have been just favoring the bebop camera but the quality that the bebop has is really bad none compared to the mavic. The bebop is wifi only so the steaming back to your phone isn't as great as the mavic but the end result is extremely different. If my bebop reached the same distance as the mavic I would have just stayed with the bebop.

I love my mavic if pretty much gets treated better then I treat my self but the video and pictures aren't what I was expect but over all I do love to just fly around with it

Reactions: ross4443
Bebop
ad92976297a03fe565e9d2d921a676b6.jpg

Mavic
2698dedf168274dd66dc1a94b5ae9309.jpg

Although the mavic pic looks good it's very choppy when you zoom

I had this issue shooting a project in Costa Rica. Going from 4k to 2.7k was the solution. the issue was all in the blacks/dark greens of the jungle. I take it by this thread that the problem in 4k isnt being solved.

Anybody could post their observations on the new fw 01.04.0000 in regards to color quality? DJI mentioned something about vivid colors and I was wondering what could that mean.

thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: dazzer71
Anybody could post their observations on the new fw 01.04.0000 in regards to color quality? They said mentioned something about vivid colors and I was wondering what could it mean.

thanks

This is a test shot from this afternoon of the new Helix mode, shot in Panorama mode which is +1 Sharpness, I like the new colouring, very true, australia is now very dry as we head into summer bush fire season.

Reactions: peros550
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair