DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic's GPS receiver support new European GPS (Galileo)

peros550

Reactions
Hi ,

I 've read in the news that a new positioning system similar to American GPS and Russian GLONASS is about to start operating. It's called Galileo and it is supposed to be offering better accuracy than the current systems. I 've also read that some smartphone suppliers are already using compatible GPS receives and the additional functionality may be unlocked using software updates.

Do we know if Mavic's GPS receiver will support Galileo?

I mean essentially how a satellite works is that it it transmits its current position and time to earth at given intervals. Your devices are never transmitting anything to the satellite. As long as Galileo is sending coordinates and time just like the other GPS satellites, I don't see why it won't work.

From my understanding as well, it is a different 'standard' if you will. Just like the Mavic supports GPS and GLONASS as 2 different systems then the device in question will need to specifically support Galileo.

Hi, my question is: why the aplication UAV Forecast show the alternitive to choice the galileo satellite?
They added Galileo just to make their app look "better".
Like several "features" in UAV Forecast, the GPS forecast is not needed at all anyway.
Wherever you go in the world, there will always be plenty of satellites for you to use.

Have a look at the Software Modification forum, DJI Super-patcher by brett8883, enables the use use of the Galileo GPS system amongst other things.

It works now use DJI_Super-Patcher-master to modify your drone i get 26 to 30 sats now!!!!

It works now use DJI_Super-Patcher-master to modify your drone i get 26 to 30 sats now!!!!
And does that do improve anything at all in any noticeable way? !!!

YES!!!! it seems to stay within a meter or so instead of 5 try it for yourself.today flew in 25mph winds stay locked in as a mother.And the more sats the merrier in my book.

YES!!!! it seems to stay within a meter or so instead of 5 try it for yourself.today flew in 25mph winds stay locked in as a mother.And the more sats the merrier in my book.
I agree on the apparent improvement in stability. Also on the extra satellites, they should give you a better chance of having more of them in better positions for a good gps fix maybe with more redundancy to better cope with shade from trees, buildings and the landscape.

If your Mavic was only holding position within 5 metres even in 25 mph winds, that's way out of normal.
As for the more, the merrier concept, we already have that using GPS + Glonass sats.
If the 20+ sats that offers isn't more than enough, you have other problems.

Without Galileo the UAV Forecast app says I shouldn't fly today or tomorrow. With Galileo it shows as good to fly (12+ sats) for most of that time. I had 19 sats when I flew this afternoon. A huge thanks to Brett8883 and his Super-Patcher that makes Galileo reception possible on my Mavic.

Without Galileo the UAV Forecast app says I shouldn't fly today or tomorrow. With Galileo it shows as good to fly (12+ sats) for most of that time. I had 19 sats when I flew this afternoon.
UAV Forecast is giving you a false idea of satellite availability.
No matter where or when you fly, unless you fly in a canyon or under cover, you'll always have many more satellites than you'll ever need.

And with GPS + Glonass you should be seeing approx 20 sats anyway wherever you are.
The GPS function in UAV forecast is completely useless.

Yes it does support it if you mod your firmware and yes it does work and people can say what they will about it. But when it comes down to GPS SATS the more the merrier if you ask me..

Reactions: MaviCam
Yes it does support it if you mod your firmware and yes it does work and people can say what they will about it. But when it comes down to GPS SATS the more the merrier if you ask me..
The more the merrier only works up to a point and that point was reached when you have GPS + Glonass systems together.
There's nothing at all to be gained from using yet another system.

The more the merrier only works up to a point and that point was reached when you have GPS + Glonass systems together.
There's nothing at all to be gained from using yet another system.
Maybe... but I have situations, like yesterday when I was filming petroglyphs in a narrow canyon. I’m used to having 18-22 says, but only got 10... just engulfed to feel comfortable.

Maybe... but I have situations, like yesterday when I was filming petroglyphs in a narrow canyon. I’m used to having 18-22 says, but only got 10... just engulfed to feel comfortable.
To get a good sat fix you need enough sats and you need a good spread of sats (sats not bunched close or in a line).
If you are in a narrow canyon, most of your sky (and the sats there) is blocked out and you'll never see them.
If you have access to Galileo sats, you'll only see the ones that are in that open slot and you won't get any advantage.
The people saying more is better don't have much understanding of how GPS works.
More sats won't help in a narrow canyon - more sky would.
With an open sky, there are already more sats than anyone really needs to get as good a fix as is possible.

To get a good sat fix you need enough sats and you need a good spread of sats (sats not bunched close or in a line).
If you are in a narrow canyon, most of your sky (and the sats there) is blocked out and you'll never see them.......
True enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98