DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Pairing/binding 2nd controller (RCN1) Lose Fly-away Coverage?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I bought the Mini 3 with the DJI RC controller. I have a controller from my Mini 2 (RCN1). So far I've only used the DJI RC with the Mini 3. But I'd like to use the RCN1 as well as I have a Magi/DroneMask that I can use with the RCN1 and my phone. Also from time to time I want to use my tablet with the Mini3

I was searching for instructions to pair the RCN1 with the Mini 3, but the presenter said that if I "bind" the RCN1 to the Mini 3 now, I lose my fly-away coverage. I'm a bit confused by terminology and practicality.
1) Is there a differennce between "pairing" and "binding" the controllers w/ the Mini 3?
2) If fly-away coverage is voided, is that only with one controller or both? The DJI RC was "bound" (paired") first with no other so far.
3) I'm ok with updating firmware on the controller, but do not want to update anything that will irrevocably turn RID on. What do I need to know?

FWIW the Mini 2 is going to DJI Care/Refresh tomorrow so I'll just have the extra controller lying around for a few weeks.

Thanks in advance

I think I got this...but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I just went through this as I wanted to use my RC from my Mini3 Pro with my Mavic 3 and my FPV controller (not the pistol grip) with my Avata. It is my understanding that you can pair them easily but in doing so you do not have fly away coverage because, as I understand it, it is the binding that locks them together in a manner that DJI can use to determine the cause of a mishap. Perhaps the logs are not recorded on the controller fully unless it is "bound"? I can't advise about turning RID on or off in terms of firmware but it's my understanding that binding is required to maintain fly away coverage. If you don't care about that you can simply pair the controller. There is some limit of 5 flights or some nonsense that I don't have details on since I simply bound my controllers. Upon finishing that series of flights I bound one controller back to the Mini3 and am going to leave the other controller bound to my Avata as I use it much more often than my FPV now.

As I understand this stuff to work, establishing the "linking" that provides the control mechanism between the controller and the drone is as simple and easy as it ever was. But that, as has previously happened, linking a 'new' controller to a drone (for control purposes ) removes the "linking" (for control purposes) between the old controller and the drone.

HOWEVER the "bindings" established for the purposes of fly away insurance complicate the process.
It is my understanding that in order for the insurance to be valid the controller must be bound to the drone PLUS/and the drone must be bound to the DJI account of the 'purchaser of the insurance'.
I do not think that there is a 'direct' "binding" between the controller and the DJI account of the insurance purchaser.

If you "link" ( for control purposes) another controller to the drone then fly the drone using that second controller, but WITHOUT "binding" (for insurance purposes) the second controller to the drone, and lose the drone, then it is my understanding that you are not covered.
I also believe you will ONLY be allowed to make a limited number of flights, 5?, using an un"bound" controller and that once that limit is reached subsequent takeoffs will not be permitted i.e. the drone is grounded, it might be interesting to see if a 'third' controller would permit the drone to fly for another 5? flights..
I assume that, once the "bound" controller is re-"linked" (for control purposes) to the drone, the 'grounding' of the drone will be lifted and it can be flown again.

BUT I believe you can "unbind" the original controller from the drone ( = undo the insurance binding) and then "bind" ( for insurance purposes) the second controller to the drone ( = establish a new insurance binding between the second controller and the drone) and I think the drone is then covered by the insurance.
Similarly if you wish to go back to the original controller you must "unbind" the second controller and 're'-"bind" the original controller blah blah blah.

I suspect that flight logs will be recorded irrespective of the status of the controller to drone "binding".

If I am wrong in any of this someone PLEASE correct me.

Last edited:
@akdrone @Yorkshire_Pud
Thanks for your replies. I will go wiith your presumptions about the 5 linked/paired but "unbound" flights. I don't see flying my Mini 3 with the RCN1 very often. It would primarily be to use my DroneMask for some occasional, casual FPV enjoyment and occasionally when I want to use my tablet. Not sure how frequent or often I'd use the RCN1 as the DJI RC controller is super smooth with the Mini 3. Is the Mini 3 programmed to fly smoother than the Mini 2, or is the smoothness in the RC controller? The RCN1 with the Mini 2 felt like it had dead spots slightly off of center, so there would be some response, then a gap of no additional response when pushed a bit further, then sudden response when pushed slightly beyond that. None of that with the Mini 3 and the DJI RC. Is it the 2-barrel V/H movement in the DJI RC vs the "ball" that the RCN1 uses?

@akdrone @Yorkshire_Pud
Thanks for your replies. I will go wiith your presumptions about the 5 linked/paired but "unbound" flights. I don't see flying my Mini 3 with the RCN1 very often. It would primarily be to use my DroneMask for some occasional, casual FPV enjoyment and occasionally when I want to use my tablet. Not sure how frequent or often I'd use the RCN1 as the DJI RC controller is super smooth with the Mini 3. Is the Mini 3 programmed to fly smoother than the Mini 2, or is the smoothness in the RC controller? The RCN1 with the Mini 2 felt like it had dead spots slightly off of center, so there would be some response, then a gap of no additional response when pushed a bit further, then sudden response when pushed slightly beyond that. None of that with the Mini 3 and the DJI RC. Is it the 2-barrel V/H movement in the DJI RC vs the "ball" that the RCN1 uses?
did you look at the EXP profiles for the joysticks of the Mini-2/RCN1, I find that values of 0.5 ( a straight line graph) give the most predictable and smoothest responses.

did you look at the EXP profiles for the joysticks of the Mini-2/RCN1, I find that values of 0.5 ( a straight line graph) give the most predictable and smoothest responses.
Yes. I played with them extensively and even started a thread talking about where the slow/smoothness settings should be used or EXP. Dead spots in sticks. Drove me crazy when flying indoors. I recently started collecting footage for a project that was indoors and the Mini 3 and DJI RC had all the control I could want. I don't recall how I have the settings set on that combo. Whatever it is, it works. The input/response is quite sensitive, but no dead spots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78