DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the Mavic 2 Pro Controller have GPS?

I dunno, there are quite a few lost drone posts where RTH didnt go to where the OP’s were standing - because they moved.
I haven't seem any of those cases but if you are moving well away from your launch point and use RTH to bring your drone back and land it, I'd have to write that off as user error.

Reactions: AMann
Thanks to everyone for your response and feedback! I live in a big city in Canada and the restrictions are quite limiting.. I am lucky to live by the water and can fly without much trouble.. I often take off with nobody around and all of a sudden two or three people are on the scene, most do not even know I am flying.. The people who notice are most intrigued and have lots of questions which is good.. I just wanted to know if I have to move quickly and change my home point I know I will have to use the drone location and not my current location. Thanks..
I am really enjoying my drone .. I feel like a kid.. I am most amazed at the quality of the footage when I few it.. tx again..

If phone is giving internet to iPad, it’s GPS will be shared. I use a Bluetooth Dual Electronics gps 160

I don't think using a phone's hot-spot also shares the phone's GPS with the tablet.
Of course that could be proven using a map program and moving around. Does the map track YOUR movements?
Which brings a third reason for GPS: the map and where you are on it, not just the set homepoint during takeoff which came from the AC.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
Which brings a third reason for GPS: the map and where you are on it, not just the set homepoint during takeoff which came from the AC.
The map doesn't come from GPS and unless you move well away from the launch point, you can see where you are on the map.

I don't think using a phone's hot-spot also shares the phone's GPS with the tablet.
Of course that could be proven using a map program and moving around. Does the map track YOUR movements?

Test: google, sharing iPhone’s GPS with IPad
You can also pre-fetch the map.

The map doesn't come from GPS and unless you move well away from the launch point, you can see where you are on the map.
Where you are on the map DOES require GPS If you move while flying. The DRONE will show its location on the map without GPS device.
So, the answer is still, YES! you need GPS for that.

Anyone remember the Android Go 3 fiasco of Jan 2016? It recorded one's map position over 2 miles WNW from one's actual position? That was thought to have caused fly-aways, and inaccurate "Max distance reached"

Reactions: prometeo
Some cellular providers used to give gps location based on triangulation of the transmitter location of the phone in relation to cell towers. There was no GPS chip at all.

using IPAD mini 4 with no internal gps.
Question
IF the display doesn't have a GPS receiver or is not connected via hot spot can the OP even change the RTH position to RC?
I would not THINK they could. I do not have any way to test this or I would. Not a problem for me but for some it may be important.

Question
IF the display doesn't have a GPS receiver or is not connected via hot spot can the OP even change the RTH position to RC?
I would not THINK they could. I do not have any way to test this or I would. Not a problem for me but for some it may be important.
The app gives two options for resetting the home point.
One is the current location of the controller - not possible without GPS in the tablet.
The other is the current location of the aircraft, which is just as good for almost all flying from cars or boats and does not need a GPS enabled tablet.
When you are on a moving boat or car, you don't actually want the drone to land at the home point.
The aim is to prevent the drone zooming off to the launch point when it calculates the battery is only enough to just get back.

Some cellular providers used to give gps location based on triangulation of the transmitter location of the phone in relation to cell towers. There was no GPS chip at all.
I thought the device did that calculation.

That's location data but it's not GPS data.
Just like location derived from wifi is not GPS location data.

I am not sure that we all know what happens when the home point is reset. My understanding is that resetting it sets it to the drone’s current position, rather than the controller’s position. That is what happens when you take off and the drone records it automatically. Why do you think it does it differently when you do it manually?

I am not sure that we all know what happens when the home point is reset. My understanding is that resetting it sets it to the drone’s current position, rather than the controller’s position. That is what happens when you take off and the drone records it automatically. Why do you think it does it differently when you do it manually?
Read post #32 above for an explanation

Reactions: Kilrah
If phone is giving internet to iPad, it’s GPS will be shared. I use a Bluetooth Dual Electronics gps 160
one of my settings is using ipad + BT160. I thought It was not working. I briefly disconnected from the controller cable and when tried again, it worked!. Now I use a 6Plus , some times has the same "weak signal" error and the fix is the same. Hope it halps

Thanks all. i found this question relevant and helpful as I'm another with an ipad wifi only in a box sealed still. I think Meta4 summed up the answer well in saying the following cant be used. So for me (and I'm sure the OP) its up to us if these features are worth paying the extra for GPS/Cellular unit. For me they are and i thank you. Ive been trying to find out what other features the wifi only ipad cant take advantage of. So yeah, if you want the below features then you will need to either fly on your phone (built in GPS irrelevant of data connectivity) or a GPS/Cellular Ipad.
"
1. Follow me flight .
2. Resetting home to the current location of the controller - used if flying from a moving car, boat etc

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr