DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dog attack after 20 minute fixation

Yeah, if this were a parking lot situation, landing on the roof or trunk of your car might be helpful. Somewhere that you can reach and the dog can't.

I own two dogs, they are rarely off-leash. My eldest dog is slower than usual, so sometimes I let her off-leash, but always have VLOS (can you have VLOS on a dog?) and with my youngest dog, she's always always on harness/leash because she will choke herself out trying to run after something on a collar.

I don't think dogs should ever be off-leash without the owner being present, and the dog being trained to respond to commands. If your dog doesn't respond to commands, it shouldn't be off-leash. There are tests for that.

Of course, we're assuming that the dog and drone are in a public area, not over private property not owned by someone else.... That might change things a bit. A public park: are drones allowed? A dog park: no drones allowed. Private property not owned by you: did you get clearance? Is the dog a stray or an owned dog?

Reactions: Hyghlander
My dog also fixates on my Mavic, she does stop barking as soon as i gain enough altitude, i;m told the sensors mess with a dogs hearing.
If i loose VLOS, I just look to my dog who seems to be able to spot my bird on RTH long before i do, she comes to my side(my dog) & sits as i bring her in (my bird) for a landing.
There have been times when a neighbour dog joins the party & runs around us, barking like mad. My dog (Australian Blue healer) won't stand for this & instantly chases the party crasher off, returning to my side on landing.

I also have an ACD (Australian Cattle Dog or Blue Healer) who has a definite opinion about the drone. She knocked it out of the air once. It had prop guards at the time so she was not hurt. The guards however...

I was calibrating the IMU one evening recently and my wife tells me she is cowering in bed with her. Just shaking - totally stressed. I had removed the props, so that could not be the issue. Did some research on the ultrasonic sensors. They are within the range of hearing for a dog, so I assume this is the issue.

Now I launch the MP at least 50 feet away, dog on leash, and try to fly a path that puts a lot of space between her and the drone. As I want to fly down around the mossy trees and over nearby waterfalls, her behavior is a problem. How have others been able to deal with it?

A few days ago flew my Mavic in a secluded area with no dogs around. After launching a dog arrived and was fixated on drone. Regardless of height or where I went the dog followed. After 20 minutes automatic landing sequence was initiated. By now a group of helpers had assembled who tried to create a secure screen to prevent dog attacking, but with an acrobatic leap the dog got the drone. Fortunately only a blade was broken, and rear legs had come off. Realized I had lost the clips to attach rear legs but found the piece next day. Anyone have solutions how to avoid this (apart from making certain no dogs are around!). Did think of landing drone on car roof but I felt it was inadvisable. No structures with flat roof to land on. Has anyone any bright ideas? Catching it with hand (which some have learnt to do) is possible way out.

Two things, if you think you could have a dog issue again, spend the money on "dog repellent" check google and amazon, perhaps a pet store. I had a problem about 30-years ago with a neighbor's dog that the neighbor let run loose in the morning and I rode my Harley to work about the same time, in spite of my complaints, I finally resolved the issue with a squirt gun full of vinegar ( I actually liked the dog, but he hated the Harley… and I did not want to hurt him so I used vinegar and it worked). Worse case, get a can of "bear spray"

Next, lots of folks gave you advice to try hand catching, Good suggestion! I agree, now go watch some YouTube Videos on the subject and you'll learn a lot faster the How's and Wherefores…

Metal may affect operation of the compass outside of calibration.

You might have a problem, you might not. I'm personally not enamored with landing on metal objects to the point where I'm interested in risking my drone.

All metal is not magnetic and doesn't interfere with compasses. Most roofs and hoods are aluminum. I've taken off and landed on my car many times. No problems with compass calibration or drone performance.

In this case, it sounds like landing on the car or hand catching the drone would have resulted in the dog jumping up on the car of the pilot. I'm curious about why someone didn't restrain the dog. Was the owner not there?

Wow 2018 till yesterday. Old thread,,was the dog owner found yet ? Reading this went from dog attack to landing on steel or bonnets,good read I might add,,,yeh not the dogs fault,he or she obviously was triggered by sound or inaudible sound by the drone,same as the phantom mechanical sonar,,some humans also can pic this up like a dog hears it,myself has experienced this,sometimes drone on a table you can hear it working away if your ears are tuned ,some have it some dont,just like a car mechanic,,,read the engine by sound ,,,
Back to dog...its good some created a make shift barrier to try land but that's not fool proof since dog got teeth and no one wants a chomp, hard at the time not to get bit panicked but you as the pilot needs to remove yourself from the landing area to diffuse the situation or at least try,,yeh I've landed on bonets and roofs and sheds also,,its not till you launch off that object that your compass is affected even though your drone seems normal,,,dogs hungry by now too and that dog owner needs a good talking too

Last edited by a moderator:
Difficult scenarios really because the dog could jump up on you if hand landing etc

Any chance of luring the dog away eg across a field then in sport mode fly away fast go high and take a long way round to come back to you position and come in to land asap before the dog could get back? Just a thought.

(Good spot re 2018 🤔😉)

A few days ago flew my Mavic in a secluded area with no dogs around. After launching a dog arrived and was fixated on drone. Regardless of height or where I went the dog followed. After 20 minutes automatic landing sequence was initiated. By now a group of helpers had assembled who tried to create a secure screen to prevent dog attacking, but with an acrobatic leap the dog got the drone. Fortunately only a blade was broken, and rear legs had come off. Realized I had lost the clips to attach rear legs but found the piece next day. Anyone have solutions how to avoid this (apart from making certain no dogs are around!). Did think of landing drone on car roof but I felt it was inadvisable. No structures with flat roof to land on. Has anyone any bright ideas? Catching it with hand (which some have learnt to do) is possible way out.
I had exactly the same scenario, but no one around to help distract the dog. Hand several times.

On another occasion, the same dog tried to get the drone once it was on the ground but props still spinning for that couple of secs before they stop. I had loitered high and flown around to try and lose the dog. The battery force landed. I was going for a hand catch but the dog was jumping all over me so landed instead. Put my hand out to cover the drone to protect the dog. Drone bit me instead. Slightly broken skin, not much else. The owner was always at the other end of the park. Eventually he got the message and kept dog on lead as it is a dog on lead park anyway. I've tried luring the dog away and racing back. Surprising how fast a young dog can run once it is obsessed with something. It was always the same dog. No other dogs bothered.

My solution is hand catch my M2 pro and Minis. I practice it regularly for times such as crazy dogs or so I can change my landing area at the last second if people walk into my self declared "safety zone". Not intimidating once you have the hang of it. It also makes you look like a pro to passers bye and perhaps alleviates some of their concerns about safety as you "must know what your doing". At least that's been my experience. You can purchase Chefs cut proof gloves from cookery stores. I prefer to catch without them.

The one drone I wont hand catch is my FPV. No Way!

Last edited:
you shoulda did a kamikaze dive on the dog a few times,woulda been fun and scared him off also :)
That might have been my inclination. Either that, or the fly around in circles thing. Or just a flat out top speed run. Not many dogs can outrun a drone.

The best plan might have been to lead it away for a while, and then come straight back to you at max speed. That would probably work.

If you had the power left...

TCS

if you think you could have a dog issue again, spend the money on "dog repellent"

I fall back on the dog repellant. If a dog is out of control and is trying to "attack" your drone, it is also a danger to people near by and would probably bite anyone trying to restrain it. I am sure that spraying "doggy away" on an unrestrained, out of control dog is not illegal in any local. Besides trying to hand catch your drone while the dog is jumping and snapping at it leaves you open to either getting bit by the dog or the drone... Hover the drone, Spray the dog...

After reading this, I've decided to order a payload carrier for mine. Simple solution. Launch with a hot dog underneath. If a dog becomes a nuisance, fly away, drop the hot dog, and fly back for a quick landing. Hopefully it's a slow eater without any friends. Problem solved!

The most permanent solution is to fight the dog with the drone, help him learn a healthy respect for flying buzzing things.

Use sport mode.

:p😆😆

Ok, this has me thinking. If you're willing to go with a little extra weight, I'm thinking you can mount a 1-3 barrel hot dog launcher like a potato gun. That will get the dog, or a small pack, further away to give you more time to land. I might do a kickstarter. :p

Ok, this has me thinking. If you're willing to go with a little extra weight, I'm thinking you can mount a 1-3 barrel hot dog launcher like a potato gun. That will get the dog, or a small pack, further away to give you more time to land. I might do a kickstarter. :p
The problem is, buns come in packs of 8, while hot dogs come in packs of 10.

This is sure to complicate the entire operation, and cause a logistical nightmare.

Fix this long-standing problem, and you can retire in obscene comfort.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy