DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dog attack after 20 minute fixation

Mark Heath

Reactions
A few days ago flew my Mavic in a secluded area with no dogs around. After launching a dog arrived and was fixated on drone. Regardless of height or where I went the dog followed. After 20 minutes automatic landing sequence was initiated. By now a group of helpers had assembled who tried to create a secure screen to prevent dog attacking, but with an acrobatic leap the dog got the drone. Fortunately only a blade was broken, and rear legs had come off. Realized I had lost the clips to attach rear legs but found the piece next day. Anyone have solutions how to avoid this (apart from making certain no dogs are around!). Did think of landing drone on car roof but I felt it was inadvisable. No structures with flat roof to land on. Has anyone any bright ideas? Catching it with hand (which some have learnt to do) is possible way out.

Hand catching is easy ... once you've got to grips with it (sorry). Some people disable the downward sensors but honestly, just grip it tight and keep the left stick pulled down - bit unnerving the first few times but it soon becomes second nature.

A few days ago flew my Mavic in a secluded area with no dogs around. After launching a dog arrived and was fixated on drone. Regardless of height or where I went the dog followed. After 20 minutes automatic landing sequence was initiated. By now a group of helpers had assembled who tried to create a secure screen to prevent dog attacking, but with an acrobatic leap the dog got the drone. Fortunately only a blade was broken, and rear legs had come off. Realized I had lost the clips to attach rear legs but found the piece next day. Anyone have solutions how to avoid this (apart from making certain no dogs are around!). Did think of landing drone on car roof but I felt it was inadvisable. No structures with flat roof to land on. Has anyone any bright ideas? Catching it with hand (which some have learnt to do) is possible way out.

Why didn't you gain some altitude while you had the chance, before your battery started to get low?

I doubt a dog can follow a drone 200 foot in the air..

And why would you fly the drone unitil its battery got to critical?

Reactions: Skymax and drakkor
Hand land would be the simplest. If you knew the dog is chasing it, why didn’t your fly around in circles for 20 mins, or until the dog got dizzy and pass out?

Reactions: AgPhotoWings
You always see posts about bird-strikes but I think this is the first dog-strike. Bird-dog anyone? I thinking either hand catching (to quote everyone else) or landing on the car would have been your best option.

As long as you don't calibrate the compas on or near them it should be ok. I have never experienced problems from landing on car hoods.

Metal may affect operation of the compass outside of calibration.

You might have a problem, you might not. I'm personally not enamored with landing on metal objects to the point where I'm interested in risking my drone.

Not landing on a car roof!
Ordinarily perhaps, but as a way to land out of reach of dog absolutely worth doing, after all a recal is easier than fixing what has now happened.

How’s the dogs teeth after you kicked it :mad::eek::oops:

you shoulda did a kamikaze dive on the dog a few times,woulda been fun and scared him off also :)

My dog also fixates on my Mavic, she does stop barking as soon as i gain enough altitude, i;m told the sensors mess with a dogs hearing.
If i loose VLOS, I just look to my dog who seems to be able to spot my bird on RTH long before i do, she comes to my side(my dog) & sits as i bring her in (my bird) for a landing.
There have been times when a neighbour dog joins the party & runs around us, barking like mad. My dog (Australian Blue healer) won't stand for this & instantly chases the party crasher off, returning to my side on landing.

I would have mentioned to the dog's owner that these propellers on your $1000+ device are spinning at a few thousand RPM. Mention that you don't want to see the dog hurt itself or your device, and that you'd like their contact info ASAP, especially if the dog isn't on a leash. Get the dog owner to get their dog out of the way.

LMAO, they removed my Sig 380 post. Plan B, tell the dog in a very calm voice that he can only lick the props...when spinning of course.

My dog also fixates on my Mavic, she does stop barking as soon as i gain enough altitude, i;m told the sensors mess with a dogs hearing.
If i loose VLOS, I just look to my dog who seems to be able to spot my bird on RTH long before i do, she comes to my side(my dog) & sits as i bring her in (my bird) for a landing.
There have been times when a neighbour dog joins the party & runs around us, barking like mad. My dog (Australian Blue healer) won't stand for this & instantly chases the party crasher off, returning to my side on landing.

This is actually a very valid point I hadn't considered before, the dog must be able to hear the high pitch sound the ultra sonic sensors produce..

Reactions: AgPhotoWings
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure