DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don’t fly it indoors !

Flying indoors is a skill like anything else. Practice in a field on calm days in atti mode, eventually you'll be a master. If course sometimes **** happens, like the AC turns on, your cat grabs it, or you get distracted. Happy flying.

I am flattered you all think the drone misbehaved but this crash was purely a pilot error in that I went left when I should have gone forward .lol
If you are new and flying indoors make sure there is plenty of light and put the drone on the ground facing away from you so that your left is drone left and so on. Then go very slowly. I did this to test my mavic mini indoors. I went up, left, right, forward and back. I then did a 360 and went back down. I just wanted to make sure it was all working while the weather outside was a no-go.

Reactions: Arnu69
When you get your mavic mini,Don’t fly it indoors. All the advice I been getting and YouTube clips suggest don’t fly it indoors. So I got a mavic mini and for the first 2 weeks I didn’t fly it indoors. Weather has been terrible here in London with 70 mph winds and rain and for a whole week now I ain’t been able to fly. So I thought why don’t I have a little fly indoors ? I thought no, you shouldn’t really fly it indoors. Oh what’s the harm? So I flew it indoors. It crashed into the refrigerator almost immediately and hit the hard tiled surface with a painful sounding smash!!! Totally my fault, luckily no damage occurred and all I had to do was recalibrate. I won’t be flying it indoors again.
I had a similar experience. Opened a tech support incident for it. Had the mm, read all sorts of things about if before flying. Finally took it up, inside one evening. Got a sensor error message and it started to act weird. was able to get it landed etec,. Subsequently, have flown it multiple times outside with no problems.

I've read other posts about similar problems and most/all talk about tying to fly inside, in low light conditions. this is what I was trying to do.

I strongly suspect tat my problem was trying to fly in conditions where the sensors couldn't sort out gps coordinates or sort out ground position (low light couldn't locate the ground).

There are several other posts that talk about the same problem happening long afterwards but, in my case, I've had no more problems since then (been flying int normal light conditions, with good gps).

Good luck,

Reactions: Arnu69
I've flown indoors with no issues, had a no GPS warning and also low-light. It was above a well patterned rug, and managed to keep its height and position very well.

I did also fly inside a warehouse, better lighting, but still no GPS. Tried to fly directly in line with a conveyor belt, but it did fly off-line, but I put that down to possible magnetic interference, as it was passing steel support columns along its flight path, managed to get the shot I was after though.

Prop guards and CineSmooth mode, and you should be fine!

I would not use Cine Smooth option for flying indoors, I prefer at least the P mode, because if something does happen and the drone starts to drift harder towards any direction you may not have enough control in Cine Smooth mode do counter the bad move and it may just no be enough by a tiny lil bit to charsh your drone.

I fly micro 3D helis as my main hobby, trust me it takes a lot of practice to learn to fly a micro 6CH heli, the 450 size ones seem much easier to fly, once you get the overall hang that is. It is good to have control over your drone, and Cine Smooth cuts some of that control out. I even fly in Sports mode indoors, its very simple, just have to get the skill and you won't even think about it.

I like to fly in small, indoor places - hence the microhelis and not normal size ones. I guess the 5 years experience of flying them helis indoors has actually paid off now, I feel like I have full control of my drone at all times - and its super easy to fly the Mini.

:)

cool cool

When you get your mavic mini,Don’t fly it indoors. All the advice I been getting and YouTube clips suggest don’t fly it indoors. So I got a mavic mini and for the first 2 weeks I didn’t fly it indoors. Weather has been terrible here in London with 70 mph winds and rain and for a whole week now I ain’t been able to fly. So I thought why don’t I have a little fly indoors ? I thought no, you shouldn’t really fly it indoors. Oh what’s the harm? So I flew it indoors. It crashed into the refrigerator almost immediately and hit the hard tiled surface with a painful sounding smash!!! Totally my fault, luckily no damage occurred and all I had to do was recalibrate. I won’t be flying it indoors again.
I got the prop guards with mine. No problem flying in the house. I only hit a wall once, but I guess once would do damage without the guards.

I been afraid to fly any thing indoors except my ******.
Anyways, so I read all of this thread. :)

How would you know if the lighting is good enough for the vision sensors to keep it stable?

Just asking about MvMn at the moment?

Rod

I been afraid to fly any thing indoors except my ******.
Anyways, so I read all of this thread. :)

How would you know if the lighting is good enough for the vision sensors to keep it stable?

Just asking about MvMn at the moment?

Rod

The light is sufficient if Go4 or Fly does not say low light warning.

Reactions: RodPad
Hahaha love this thread. I’ve flown too many drones inside that I shouldn’t have. Hovered the m1p a few times. Lost control and Almost cut a few fingers off trying to stop it from crashing into the wall. Good times.

If you do not know the limitation of the drone in different environments and exercise care accordingly, you should not be flying drones at all, indoor or outdoor. Of course the Mini can be flown inside, safely.

In my opinion the mini is superb indoors, just make sure the lighting is good so that the vision sensors can work.
You are likely to get warnings if it thinks the lighting too poor. Ignore any such warnings whilst it is not flying i.e. when it is, for example, sat on a carpet floor. PAY ATTENTION TO ANY ISSUED WHILST IT IS FLYING
I'd keep it away from large metallic objects, perhaps electrical motors and light delicate objects that its downdraft might blow away but other than that it's almost inch controlable. I even left it hovering with one leg sitting on a book stack yesterday.
It does not particularily like hovering over objects that its downdraft can cause to move or flap and wobbles slightly if over them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Zbip57
Our house has a high cathedral ceiling in the living room. There is plenty of space for flying indoors. But I still use the prop guards and first clear all the breakable stuff off the fireplace mantel. In this photo you can see there's a round window at one end, with a matching round mirror at the near end. I thought it made a cool photo, framing a self-portrait of the Mini with prop guards installed.

MavicMini-SelfPortrait.png

But then I got the bright idea to check how much dust has accumulated on top of the ceiling fan blades. That thing is nearly 30 feet off the ground. Someone once asked me how I would ever change the light bulb in that fixture if it burned out, or how I clean the dust off the top of the fan blades? So, using the Mini, I thought I'd take a look...

The Mini is remarkably stable. It hovers rock-solid. So I moved it in closer to see what all has accumulated on top of the ceiling fan blades. Holy cow. I sure wish I hadn't seen that. Eew Blech.

But then, the downwash from the Mini's props caught one of the ceiling fan blades and started the fan turning slowly. Hey, maybe I can use the Mini to blow the dust off those blades...?

Nope. Not a chance. That crud has obviously been there for eons and is crusted on solid. However, that's when the situation started to go south...

As the ceiling fan slowly began to rotate, one of its blades passed directly below the Mini. The Mini's vision position sensor detected a sudden proximity to ground. "Terrain! Terrain! Pull up! Pull up!" The Mini automatically increased altitude and pasted itself to the ceiling beam!!!

And while it was stuck against the ceiling, motors screaming in an attempt to gain even more altitude, the propwash was ever more accelerating the rotation of the ceiling fan! Oh jeez...

I cut the throttle, the Mini dropped, batted off the ceiling fan, bounced off the ceiling, and happily regained a stable hover. Phew! Thank you prop guards!

None of the dust on top of the ceiling fan was the least bit disturbed by this adventure. I just won't ever look at it again.

Reactions: ff22
I flew mine over the top of a light shade, BAAAADDDDD idea, I think I found some dust from the last millenium up there if not the one before it.

Zbip check the prop blades, the mini tilts when stuck to a ceiling,

A phantom 3 cleans the paint of the top of its propellor hubs and boy do you have to throttle down to unstick it

As stated above with prop guards and sufficient lighting the mini performs well indoors, sometime it even gets enough satellites for a gps lock. Just be aware of the bottom proximity sensors making the mini rise as it passes over objects like chairs, tables, counters and fan blades.

One option is to put tape over the sensors to put it into ATTI mode but be aware that it now drifts/coasts when the sticks are let go and with any air movement.

Last Christmas when It was too cold to fly I practiced flying around the house in regular sensor. It surprised me that the mini's wifi connection was so good that I was able to fly down the stairs to the basement and in and out of rooms down there while sitting upstairs. I had every light on and drapes open for maximum light for the sensors. It's good practice for viewing "FPV" and relying on the monitor. Maybe I'll try doing laps and seeing how long a lap takes, but I'll expect the prop guards and house paint will be tested.

Reactions: ff22
Hi Arnu,
why you don´t buy the propeller guards? With the guards no probelm if you hit the wall or other hard surfaces!
Cheers Paul BTW, both of us are 77 years old Thumbswayup :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake