DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't be like me - indoor crash after firmware update.

We need to compile a long list of all the stupid ways that people have damaged or destroyed their Mavics on these forums. ;)

My favorite so far is the one where a Mavic was lost in the San Francisco Bay by someone whose friend suddenly got chicken about the idea of hand-launching a Mavic and ended up accidentally throwing it into the Bay.
Well my personal favorite is the one of a guy that took of at night from a parking lot. He claimed that he had lot of experience flying P4s and P3s . He took off in ATTI mode and didnt notice the craft started drifting into the trees. He got distracted or got cocky about his new drone and bam. Ended blaming DJI, go figure.

We need to compile a long list of all the stupid ways that people have damaged or destroyed their Mavics on these forums. ;)

My favorite so far is the one where a Mavic was lost in the San Francisco Bay by someone whose friend suddenly got chicken about the idea of hand-launching a Mavic and ended up accidentally throwing it into the Bay.
I'm closely watching that thread.

Well my personal favorite is the one of a guy that took of at night from a parking lot. He claimed that he had lot of experience flying P4s and P3s . He took off in ATTI mode and didnt notice the craft started drifting into the trees. He got distracted or got cocky about his new drone and bam. Ended blaming DJI, go figure.
Is there a link to that forum? :D

Ok.. don't be like me.. I know this has been said before but - I was hovering inside after the firmware update just to make sure that everything was working well and to reset all of my preferences. I get a few beeps at 30% and I was like ok.. it won't RTH until hits 10% - WRONG.

Due to the reset in preferences; the Mavic shot up, hit my ceiling, then the wall, then the floor.

Damage was all 4 props, cosmetic damage to one motor and the gimbal dampener popped out.

I did have GPS lock inside but what I find odd is - I was directly over my RTH point.. I don't know why it didn't just land.

My first ever crash and it was the lamest way possible.

I was able to take it in to Drones Plus Dallas to be fixed and should be back to flying this afternoon.
RTH sequence begins by ascending to a preset height that I assume was higher than the ceiling of your home.

I would like to be able to save profiles for flight and camera settings. It would be good to import them after an update to make sure your craft flies the way you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Ok.. don't be like me.. I know this has been said before but - I was hovering inside after the firmware update just to make sure that everything was working well and to reset all of my preferences. I get a few beeps at 30% and I was like ok.. it won't RTH until hits 10% - WRONG.

Due to the reset in preferences; the Mavic shot up, hit my ceiling, then the wall, then the floor.

Damage was all 4 props, cosmetic damage to one motor and the gimbal dampener popped out.

I did have GPS lock inside but what I find odd is - I was directly over my RTH point.. I don't know why it didn't just land.

I was able to take it in to Drones Plus Dallas to be fixed and should be back to flying this afternoon.

When you fly indoor, don't use RTH as this is designed to use outdoor as indoor GPS signal is usually weak. When you press RTH, the drone will fly up first and then return home. If you do it indoor, the drone will hit the ceiling unless the ceiling is high enough letting the drone flying up first and then return. If indoor. If the drone hit the ceiling after pressing RTH, I think pulling down the left stick to fly down the drone may help to prevent damage.

When you fly indoor, don't use RTH as this is designed to use outdoor as indoor GPS signal is usually weak. When you press RTH, the drone will fly up first and then return home. If you do it indoor, the drone will hit the ceiling unless the ceiling is high enough letting the drone flying up first and then return. If indoor. If the drone hit the ceiling after pressing RTH, I think pulling down the left stick to fly down the drone may help to prevent damage.

**unless the ceiling is high enough letting the drone flying up first and then return**

hahaha I set my RTH to 120 Meters.

You need to use manual landing when you flying indoor.

Let me clear up.. I believe the default RTH is when battery power is at 10%. After the update I had about 45% battery left. I reset and started to hover for a while.. got the first few beeps and then it shot up to RTH with in what seemed like less than two minutes. Because I was in all of the sub menus - I didn't see the warnings. Like I said... lamest way ever to crash the Mavic..

Default RTH is at 30%. At 10% the battery is critical and the Mavic automatically lands no matter what.

Default RTH is at 30%. At 10% the battery is critical and the Mavic automatically lands no matter what.
RTH usually happens based on the calculated battery needed to do so successfully. 30% is just a low battery alarm. 10% is critical and force lands on the spot.

You know what also sucks about the Mavic?

Being forced these app updates and firmware updates that take forever, and :

I have to always choose between leaving the Gimbal cover on and afraid it will overheat (the fan goes crazy and bottom heatsink gets hot even when Mavic is just sitting there doing nothing, which is absolutely crazy)
OR
taking the gimbal cover off to get better ventilation but then risking stupid crap like auto RTH into the roof.

Or to those that say, just turn RTH off when flying indoors,

well what happens if you forget to turn it back on, go on a real outdoor mission, Mavic glitches, and there goes another flyaway....

then (in such a case) DJI blames you, and no Care for you

either way you are screwed.

You know what also sucks about the Mavic?

I have to always choose between leaving the Gimbal cover on and afraid it will overheat (the fan goes crazy and bottom heatsink gets hot even when Mavic is just sitting there doing nothing, which is absolutely crazy)
OR
taking the gimbal cover off to get better ventilation but then risking stupid crap like auto RTH into the roof.

Or to those that say, just turn RTH off when flying indoors,

well what happens if you forget to turn it back on, go on a real outdoor mission, Mavic glitches, and there goes another flyaway....
Contrary to popular belief, the gimbal cover does not restrict air flow. It has a slit on the side that allows the vent fan to suck air through. As for the bottom getting hot, it's a little computer. It's a computer with 24 CPUs. That's way more than what a high end desktop has these days. So logically it will get warm like a computer gets warm when it's on.

Contrary to popular belief, the gimbal cover does not restrict air flow. It has a slit on the side that allows the vent fan to suck air through. As for the bottom getting hot, it's a little computer. It's a computer with 24 CPUs. That's way more than what a high end desktop has these days. So logically it will get warm like a computer gets warm when it's on.

When my computer is not doing anything, it idles at very low temperature, and using only a tiny fraction of the power it would otherwise be using. When it peaks, it gets hot enough to fry an egg.
When Mavic is just powered on, engines not even at idle or running whatsoever, then there is no excuse for it to start getting rapidly hot to the touch. I'm not even filming or recording.
Its ridiculous when I'm trying out the DJI simulator and I have to worry about the Mavic overheating and constantly getting annoyed by how loud the fan is. The Mavic should not even be needed to be powered on for the simulator to work. Does CAE 7000 series need to be connected to a powered on Boeing 777 when the pilots are getting type rated in the simulator? Did the Apollo simulates needed to be connected to a live Saturn V rocket while they did their training? But never mind all that, why in the world would Mavic get so HOT when it is JUST powered on, not even connected to the app, engines not even at idle, and obviously not flying anywhere fast. There is no excuse. When my computer is displaying a screensaver my CPU is just above room temp, and my fans in the tower sure ain't RPM'ing at 100%. Not the mention when not doing anything the controller is making loud fan noises too.... I say DJI needs to re-engineer there stuff. This was supposed to be a "smart drone" with "deep learning"? Doesn't it know via IMU and other engine settings when it is no where close to be taking off that it doesn't need to start getting HOT and fan going crazy?!

Edit: And it is not like a computer with 24 CPU's. There are only four processors of quad core, and four of dual. It is combined of 24 cores not processors. If by that same metric then my 4790k is actually 8 CPU's if you count the hyper threading.

I've tested both with cover on and off, and with the cover off it is a lot less hot to the touch than with cover on. All else being equal , higher temps is always worse than lower temps.

And the Mavic processor you are talking about is not comparable to desktop CPU. It uses the Myriad 2 VPU MA2155 @ 600 MHz, hardly comparable to a current gaming processor.

Good news is Movidius recently got bought by Intel, so I'm hoping next version of Mavic won't sound like a screaming train just sitting there doing nothing.

Last edited:
When my computer is not doing anything, it idles at very low temperature, and using only a tiny fraction of the power it would otherwise be using. When it peaks, it gets hot enough to fry an egg.
When Mavic is just powered on, engines not even at idle or running whatsoever, then there is no excuse for it to start getting rapidly hot to the touch. I'm not even filming or recording.
Its ridiculous when I'm trying out the DJI simulator and I have to worry about the Mavic overheating and constantly getting annoyed by how loud the fan is. The Mavic should not even be needed to be powered on for the simulator to work. Does CAE 7000 series need to be connected to a powered on Boeing 777 when the pilots are getting type rated in the simulator? Did the Apollo simulates needed to be connected to a live Saturn V rocket while they did their training? But never mind all that, why in the world would Mavic get so HOT when it is JUST powered on, not even connected to the app, engines not even at idle, and obviously not flying anywhere fast. There is no excuse. When my computer is displaying a screensaver my CPU is just above room temp, and my fans in the tower sure ain't RPM'ing at 100%. Not the mention when not doing anything the controller is making loud fan noises too.... I say DJI needs to re-engineer there stuff. This was supposed to be a "smart drone" with "deep learning"? Doesn't it know via IMU and other engine settings when it is no where close to be taking off that it doesn't need to start getting HOT and fan going crazy?!

Edit: And it is not like a computer with 24 CPU's. There are only four processors of quad core, and four of dual. It is combined of 24 cores not processors. If by that same metric then my 4790k is actually 8 CPU's if you count the hyper threading.

I've tested both with cover on and off, and with the cover off it is a lot less hot to the touch than with cover on. All else being equal , higher temps is always worse than lower temps.

And the Mavic processor you are talking about is not comparable to desktop CPU. It uses the Myriad 2 VPU MA2155 @ 600 MHz, hardly comparable to a current gaming processor.

Good news is Movidius recently got bought by Intel, so I'm hoping next version of Mavic won't sound like a screaming train just sitting there doing nothing.
A core can be seen as a CPU. They're individual processing systems inside a unit. You can't compare the cooling system of a tower to something very compact. Let's talk about equivalent processing power. If all 24 cores were really just one core of equal performance, it would be a 14.4 GHz processor. I have a 4.7 GHz 8 core processor in my tower. If we serialize this processor, it would need to be as fast as a 37.6 GHz processor. I can tell you that this processor needs high grade cooling to keep it cool otherwise it will go nuclear. It runs cool when idling but only with effective cooling. This processor could never run in a laptop, it would burn the laptop as there is less space to cool the unit with. Now you have something tiny and has 24 cores, that too will get hot with a little cooling system like that. Now a drone's computer getting hot has nothing to do with the motors spinning or not. The drone is constantly processing data from the vision sensors, both front and bottom, converting it into a 3D image on the fly, reading US sensor data, keeping the gimbal stable, processing the image from the camera on the fly and relaying it to the controller, and processing and transmitting telemetry 3 times/us. That's a lot of work requiring lot's of concurrency to work efficiently.

A computer never does any of that. I'm speaking as an electrical engineer with a specialty in computer hardware and digital circuit designs.

A core can be seen as a CPU. They're individual processing systems inside a unit. You can't compare the cooling system of a tower to something very compact. Let's talk about equivalent processing power. If all 24 cores were really just one core of equal performance, it would be a 14.4 GHz processor. I have a 4.7 GHz 8 core processor in my tower. If we serialize this processor, it would need to be as fast as a 37.6 GHz processor. I can tell you that this processor needs high grade cooling to keep it cool otherwise it will go nuclear. It runs cool when idling but only with effective cooling. This processor could never run in a laptop, it would burn the laptop as there is less space to cool the unit with. Now you have something tiny and has 24 cores, that too will get hot with a little cooling system like that. Now a drone's computer getting hot has nothing to do with the motors spinning or not. The drone is constantly processing data from the vision sensors, both front and bottom, converting it into a 3D image on the fly, reading US sensor data, keeping the gimbal stable, processing the image from the camera on the fly and relaying it to the controller, and processing and transmitting telemetry 3 times/us. That's a lot of work requiring lot's of concurrency to work efficiently.

A computer never does any of that. I'm speaking as an electrical engineer with a specialty in computer hardware and digital circuit designs.

So you agree that the Mavic has orders of magnitude more processing power (raw) than that we used to land on the moon? The Saturn V had autopilot on the way up, in fact when Apollo 13 one of the center boosters stopped firing, the other four based on the IU guidance autocorrected to stay on trajectory. During lunar landing phase, the LEM had a AGC computer or whatever that did the autolanded sequence. The space shuttle era used equivalent of 286 computer's power, three of them for triple redundancy of course. Even modern airliners like the Boeing 747-400 uses computer no more powerful than a Pentium I for its flight management computer, calculating and flying waypoints, including fully automated CAT III autolands. The Mavic doesn't have to deal with autotuning radios, three real IRS/IRU, (not some IMU on a chip), VOR, and a gallon other factors that make a jumbojet far more complicated to fly.

So how is it Mavic, a toy drone, based on your own admission more powerful than all of these combined, needs this sort of order of manitude more power, and still not smart enough to auto-focus correctly, gets lost all the time, (and its not even flying across the world or going to the moon) RTH's into the roof, slows down in a crawl when flying into the sun, can't even fly a waypoint that hasn't already been previously preflown, etc etc etc.... (plus for all of its so called intellgient flight modes it has to be connected to the app running on a smart device and using the processing power on the smart device itself! )

Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
So you agree that the Mavic has orders of magnitude more processing power (raw) than that we used to land on the moon? The Saturn V had autopilot on the way up, in fact when Apollo 13 one of the center boosters stopped firing, the other four based on the IU guidance autocorrected to stay on trajectory. During lunar landing phase, the LEM had a AGC computer or whatever that did the autolanded sequence. The space shuttle era used equivalent of 286 computer's power, three of them for triple redundancy of course. Even modern airliners like the Boeing 747-400 uses computer no more powerful than a Pentium I for its flight management computer, calculating and flying waypoints, including fully automated CAT III autolands.

So how is it Mavic, a toy drone, based on your own admission more powerful than all of these combined, needs this sort of order of manitude more power, and still not smart enough to auto-focus correctly, gets lost all the time, (and its not even flying across the world or going to the moon) RTH's into the roof, slows down in a crawl when flying into the sun, etc etc etc....

Doesn't make sense.
Autopilot uses GPS and is basically very easy to maneuver with simple gyro/altitude/positioning. They're just numbers. Videos require orders of magnitude more processing to do on the fly, and the Mavics autonomous flight systems use high speed real time image processing to do what it does and that requires power. Why do you think a GPU has more than 1000 processing cores in ultra high end gaming rigs. They're needed to do image processing/generation on the fly. A GPU has radically more power than the CPU. There's a lot of complexities to understand, but take my word for it, the "still not smart enough to auto-focus correctly, gets lost all the time, (and its not even flying across the world or going to the moon) RTH's into the roof, slows down in a crawl when flying into the sun, etc etc etc...." is all firmware that can be fixed by fixing the code the runs it. Not the hardware. To however be fair to your argument, the firmware can be enhanced to shut off these functions until the drone's motors are switched on. That would radically drop the power needed when sitting around and would most definitely run the drone cooler.

Autopilot uses GPS and is basically very easy to maneuver with simple gyro/altitude/positioning. They're just numbers. Videos require orders of magnitude more processing to do on the fly, and the Mavics autonomous flight systems use high speed real time image processing to do what it does and that requires power. Why do you think a GPU has more than 1000 processing cores in ultra high end gaming rigs. They're needed to do image processing/generation on the fly. A GPU has radically more power than the CPU. There's a lot of complexities to understand, but take my word for it, the "still not smart enough to auto-focus correctly, gets lost all the time, (and its not even flying across the world or going to the moon) RTH's into the roof, slows down in a crawl when flying into the sun, etc etc etc...." is all firmware that can be fixed by fixing the code the runs it. Not the hardware. To however be fair to your argument, the firmware can be enhanced to shut off these functions until the drone's motors are switched on. That would radically drop the power needed when sitting around and would most definitely run the drone cooler.

DJI are you listening?

WHen you force the next update on us please make sure this issue is fixed since I don't have to want to waste what limited battery power I have for no good reason.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
DJI are you listening?

WHen you force the next update on us please make sure this issue is fixed since I don't have to want to waste what limited battery power I have for no good reason.

I'm actually tempted to apply to work for DJI. I'm sure I can apply my ideas on enhancing drone efficiency and reliability. :p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18