DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't buy anything from "DJI" through eBay (automatic 15% restocking fee)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mswlogo

Reactions
I bought a refurb Mavic Pro 2 and Goggles through eBay (direct from DJI user - djiofficialstore ).

Tried it out for a couple days and decided to return it.

They whacked me $329 once activated.

It clearly said Free Returns and nothing in description or details on the Free Return mentioned a restocking fee.

Their response was Free Shipping on returns, plus 15% restocking fees.

Now perhaps this wasn't DJI and some reseller claiming to be.

Does anyone know if this was DJI, they shipped out of Florida. It's starting to look that way. I'll work through eBay to get my money back.

Also anyway to contact DJI to inform them that this seller is claiming to be DJI themselves. They did seem to have everything and had good reviews.

I bought a refurb Mavic Pro 2 and Goggles through eBay (direct from DJI user - djiofficialstore ).

Tried it out for a couple days and decided to return it.

They whacked me $329 once activated.

It clearly said Free Returns and nothing in description or details on the Free Return mentioned a restocking fee.

Their response was Free Shipping on returns, plus 15% restocking fees.

Now perhaps this wasn't DJI and some reseller claiming to be.

Does anyone know if this was DJI, they shipped out of Florida. It's starting to look that way. I'll work through eBay to get my money back.

Also anyway to contact DJI to inform them that this seller is claiming to be DJI themselves. They did seem to have everything and had good reviews.
Perhaps a link to the ad where you purchased would be helpful

I would file a dispute with eBay if the restocking fee wasn't clearly disclosed in the listing.

There is no "ad" but if you search eBay you'll find this.

Sure makes it look like they are representing DJI themselves, but it's hard to know.

DJI Official Store | eBay Stores
Well that is interesting. I did some quick research and It actually is officially DJI selling those products.

I did look through the site and it definitely does not say anything about a restocking fee. Although these days with most any electronics at most any store, it is expected that there is a restocking fee...especially for an item that you have opened and activated. However the store should and usually does clearly state that in the terms of sale.

I think you have a very valid case that there is no mention of a restocking fee and all it says is free returns, unless there was some other fine print presented to you at time of pruchase.

Well that is interesting. I did some quick research and It actually is officially DJI selling those products.

I did look through the site and it definitely does not say anything about a restocking fee. Although these days with most any electronics at most any store, it is expected that there is a restocking fee...especially for an item that you have opened and activated. However the store should and usually does clearly state that in the terms of sale.

I think you have a very valid case that there is no mention of a restocking fee and all it says is free returns, unless there was some other fine print presented to you at time of pruchase.

That’s why I stick with Amazon Prime normally. Never a problem. In fact I returned a DJI product through Amazon and it was a non issue.

Here is DJI response.

“Hello,
our policy is free returns, that is why you received a prepaid label to return the item, the policy clearly states that you must return the item in original condition, which was sealed and the drone and goggles were not activated or the warranties registered. We received the item open, used, activated and warranties registered to you.”

You have to activate it to fly it. If it was clearly stated I never would have bought it. Original condition to me is all parts, manuals, no scratches etc. Not a sealed box !!!

If this is DJI they lost a customer for good.

Ebay already said they would refund me. Fastest they have ever responded to a dispute. But I don’t see the credit yet.

Honestly I can see the point of view of DJI here. Why should you have a right to activate a product and fly it around and then send it back free of charge? Otherwise everyone would just do this every time they wanted to rent a drone for 3 days.

Honestly I can see the point of view of DJI here. Why should you have a right to activate a product and fly it around and then send it back free of charge? Otherwise everyone would just do this every time they wanted to rent a drone for 3 days.

I have no problem with restocking fees.

I do have a problem when they don’t state what they are. And basically let you think there are none by tagging it as “Free returns”. And vague definition of what “original condition” means. Who gives a crap about free return shipping when they are going to charge you $329.

Ebay agreed with me immediately.

Amazon sells DJI drones and there are no restocking fees.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I have no problem with restocking fees
Amazon sells DJI drones and there are no restocking fees.
If this is DJI they lost a customer for good

Then as you are no longer a DJI customer, the whole issue is moot
Just looking at your other threads, how many times have you ordered a drone, took some pics (commercial flight for one), and then returned for your money back?

Last edited:
If your bank has a fraud department then I would start a claim through them and they can handle it. I’ve had similar situations before and I called my bank. They gave me back the money and handled the disputes for me. Usually the seller won’t fight the bank because they can’t if they’re wrong. Just make sure to give tour bank any information on what was advertised versus what was actually done.

If your bank has a fraud department then I would start a claim through them and they can handle it. I’ve had similar situations before and I called my bank. They gave me back the money and handled the disputes for me. Usually the seller won’t fight the bank because they can’t if they’re wrong. Just make sure to give tour bank any information on what was advertised versus what was actually done.

No need. Paid for via PayPal (credit card). Ebay agreed with me, immediately, and said they would credit me.

Then as you are no longer a DJI customer, the whole issue is moot
Just looking at your other threads, how many times have you ordered a drone, took some pics (commercial flight for one), and then returned for your money back?

So your goal is to discredit me? I know your type. They linger on all forums.

I was completely up front with everything I did/do. Unlike DJI.

For they record, yes, I bought a MA2 (first drone ever), I did take pics of my own property, which I thought at the time was legal. And I did do a little research on flying rules before flying. And bought the DJI Care. Loved having a drone. I bought it with very little research. House was due to be listed in 3 days and I ordered through amazon in a rush. Didn't know what the "More" package was. So I planned to reorder MA2 w/more through Amazon. Meanwhile I did some research, started studying for 107. Decided I would love to try a better drone (M2P) and the goggles, and glad I did. Doing this through Amazon would have been a no brainer. I probably spend $10K (net) a year on Amazon. And if I don't like something I don't blink an eye on returning stuff. I saw an attractive refurb package on ebay direct from DJI with "Free returns". I also had some balance in my PayPal. I thought I'd try it. What do I have to lose? Goggles not so hot. I also knew I could scuff it and end up owning it. I posted a thread on Pro's and Con's of M2P and Goggles. If I were to buy a drone I had to have today it would be the M2P, probably with Smart Controller (plugging in iPhone on that controller was awful). And I might have if I got impatient.

It's not moot. It's a heads up to others not sure if they are buying what's right for them. I highly recommend Amazon (Prime).
BestBuy also would charge 15% restocking fee, and they CLEARLY state it. I have bought stuff before that puts a Label right on the seal of the Box that says 15% restocking fee if seal is broken. And I have returned stuff with it still sealed when that was unexpected.

Even if it was a 15% restocking fee, and clearly labeled, I might have decided it was worth the cost to find what's right for me (and I've done that). But I was duped here. If you think that's ok, that's just fine with me. But that's what this post is about, nothing more.

When someone labels something Free returns, they are saying we are so confident you will like it they will risk it, you should feel comfortable knowing you can return it at no cost. That's what that said to me. That IS the policy on Amazon. And there are no hidden restocking fees (if labeled Prime). You can return a Tesla within 7 days with no restocking fee !! And yes you can drive it. 1000 mile limit.

BTW my house is under contract in 21 days (5000 views on zillow :) ) and I have a contract on another one. So I'm super busy now anyway (which is why I didn't mind waiting on a M3P). My wife will buy a shotgun on Amazon (use it once and return it) if I bought a drone right now ;)

Note: I never buy stuff with the intention to use it once for some project and return it. Drone is a nice tool as well as fun toy.

I only ended up using one Drone shot on the listing. I don't like listings that show views of what you can't see (makes it look like your pumping up what you don't have to sell). It was just one shot at the house from the water so you could get a good feel for the property. BTW, I discarded every shot the realtor received from a hired drone pilot.

I see it too.. Way to many people buy something they can not afford and then use it and send it back crazy when you think about I would not want it back if I was dji they lost out a ton in shipping handling already.

So your goal is to discredit me? I know your type. They linger on all forums.

I was completely up front with everything I did/do. Unlike DJI.

For they record, yes, I bought a MA2 (first drone ever), I did take pics of my own property, which I thought at the time was legal. And I did do a little research on flying rules before flying. And bought the DJI Care. Loved having a drone. I bought it with very little research. House was due to be listed in 3 days and I ordered through amazon in a rush. Didn't know what the "More" package was. So I planned to reorder MA2 w/more through Amazon. Meanwhile I did some research, started studying for 107. Decided I would love to try a better drone (M2P) and the goggles, and glad I did. Doing this through Amazon would have been a no brainer. I probably spend $10K (net) a year on Amazon. And if I don't like something I don't blink an eye on returning stuff. I saw an attractive refurb package on ebay direct from DJI with "Free returns". I also had some balance in my PayPal. I thought I'd try it. What do I have to lose? Goggles not so hot. I also knew I could scuff it and end up owning it. I posted a thread on Pro's and Con's of M2P and Goggles. If I were to buy a drone I had to have today it would be the M2P, probably with Smart Controller (plugging in iPhone on that controller was awful). And I might have if I got impatient.

It's not moot. It's a heads up to others not sure if they are buying what's right for them. I highly recommend Amazon (Prime).
BestBuy also would charge 15% restocking fee, and they CLEARLY state it. I have bought stuff before that puts a Label right on the seal of the Box that says 15% restocking fee if seal is broken. And I have returned stuff with it still sealed when that was unexpected.

Even if it was a 15% restocking fee, and clearly labeled, I might have decided it was worth the cost to find what's right for me (and I've done that). But I was duped here. If you think that's ok, that's just fine with me. But that's what this post is about, nothing more.

When someone labels something Free returns, they are saying we are so confident you will like it they will risk it, you should feel comfortable knowing you can return it at no cost. That's what that said to me. That IS the policy on Amazon. And there are no hidden restocking fees (if labeled Prime). You can return a Tesla within 7 days with no restocking fee !! And yes you can drive it. 1000 mile limit.

BTW my house is under contract in 21 days (5000 views on zillow :) ) and I have a contract on another one. So I'm super busy now anyway (which is why I didn't mind waiting on a M3P). My wife will buy a shotgun on Amazon (use it once and return it) if I bought a drone right now ;)

Note: I never buy stuff with the intention to use it once for some project and return it. Drone is a nice tool as well as fun toy.

I only ended up using one Drone shot on the listing. I don't like listings that show views of what you can't see (makes it look like your pumping up what you don't have to sell). It was just one shot at the house from the water so you could get a good feel for the property. BTW, I discarded every shot the realtor received from a hired drone pilot.
You bought your drone through Drone Nerds which is an authorized DJI seller. I bought my Mavic 2 Pro from them also and am extremely happy with them. I first saw their ad on EBay and did a little research and found out their company name. I bought directly from their website and got the same deal as was on EBay except I was able to use a promo code saving an additional 5% off plus no sales tax. Drone nerds staff was very helpful as I called them to ask questions before purchasing.
BTW I just checked all the refurbished items including drones they have for sale on EBay and under description the full refurbished details are explained and it clearly states “If you are not happy with it and have not yet activated it you can return it within 7 days of receipt for a full refund or replacement”. If you had read that you could have sent them an email to ask what the return policy was if you activated it so no you were not duped.

I see it too.. Way to many people buy something they can not afford and then use it and send it back crazy when you think about I would not want it back if I was dji they lost out a ton in shipping handling already.
I agree. Shipping costs the seller and to assume it’s ok for the shipper to pay for shipping both ways which costs a minimum of $15 each way and I get to fly a drone at no cost is crazy. Once it has been opened and activated (flown) there should be a cost to the consumer. If there was no restocking fee everyone would be buying the most expensive drones to play with for a while then return them for a full refund. I don’t believe Amazon would let you buy a brand new DJI drone and fly it for a while then refund all your money. Once a new drone is opened and used Amazon has to return it to DJI so they can go through the drone to verify functionality which costs even more money. Then they can only sell it as a refurbished drone resulting in a lower selling price. BTW I also see Amazon’s return policy for electronics states if the item is opened and not defective there may be a 15% restocking fee

This used to be a real problem with TV's and the Superbowl.

Yeah, I can't afford it. My vacation home just sold for $1.1M, I bought a better one.

I paid overnight shipping.

Yeah, I can't afford it. My vacation home just sold for $1.1M, I bought a better one.

I paid overnight shipping.
Overnight shipping for your vacation home. ?
Ok time to invoke this guideline guys.

Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This community is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.

And that’s that.?​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots