DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DONT GRAB YOUR DRONE

Ohana

Reactions
When I was 14 I had just gotten a p3s and decided to fly it in my room before school. A very stupid idea. Well it went out of control and I grabbed it, the propellers hit my fingers and I got really bad bruises and cuts on both hands.

Since you're a teen I'll give you the dad answer; your hand heals for free, drone repairs do not. I've definitely nicked off pieces of my finger saving my mavic a few times. Worth the little bit of blood to maintain your pride and keep your parents wallet thicker. ?
Thats true, although I’m lucky it didn’t get harmed. What’s happened in your incidences.

I agree with dad LOL I was on a boat bringing it back in just as a wave hit us I grabbed the air got my hand chopped up pretty good but save a 1000$ drone.

you didn't get harmed thought you said you got bad bruises and cuts thats sounds harmed to me

When I was 14 I had just gotten a p3s and decided to fly it in my room before school. A very stupid idea.
Flying DJI drones in tight quarters rarely ends well :(

Ya they bite....hard! I’ve lost the tips of my fingers a couple times! Better than $150 dollars and another 6 week trip to DJI care refresh...

Never let the drone descend below the top of your head during a handcatch. Reach up from underneath. Very dangerous to grab it from below, when it is already below your shoulders, with the props still spinning on top! I had one get away from me recently, and got nicked during the landing. Didn't even break the skin, though. Lucky!

Grabbing is perfectly fine, WHEN STABLE and as said above reaching to it from the bottom.
Trying to grab an out of control machine is indeed pretty obviously never going to end well.

Here is an idea for dji. An emergency off button on the under carriage that will stop the propellers. Or a tight squeeze on either side.

Reactions: DJI DelBoy
When I was 14 I had just gotten a p3s and decided to fly it in my room before school. A very stupid idea. Well it went out of control and I grabbed it, the propellers hit my fingers and I got really bad bruises and cuts on both hands.

Take it from me (a dad that’s not a “complete idiot” because some parts are missing), you only get one body, so don’t take chances with any of your parts!!!! Most, if not all of them, aren’t replaceable. Junk like the drone is replaceable. Now go to your room!

Last edited:
Here is an idea for dji. An emergency off button on the under carriage that will stop the propellers. Or a tight squeeze on either side.

For those of you brave enough to grab your Mavic - with a firm grip, try rolling it quickly 90-deg to a side (along the roll axis) to kill the motors. I don’t know if it works with a Mavic, but it works with a Spark.

Last edited:
Reactions: passedpawn
Guy's lets not get gotta hand in this. Have deleted several post and before I have to clean up anymore I Will close this as it all has been covered before .
Thanks

I have to grab my Air all the time because I fly off my boat. It can be tricky with the waves but no problem so far. I try to wear gloves. I use the roll method to turn off the props. Does DJI approve of that method?
Thanks

I have to grab my Air all the time because I fly off my boat. It can be tricky with the waves but no problem so far. I try to wear gloves. I use the roll method to turn off the props. Does DJI approve of that method?
Thanks

If I were DJI, I wouldn’t “approve” of users risking injury by grabbing a drone, but they apparently programmed the “roll method” of killing the motors into the firmware for their own good reasons, which I assume is to limit damage and injury in case of a collision with a person or object. I suppose we can be thankful that they did for other situations like recoveries on a pitching boat.

Wearing gloves is a good idea to reduce your risk of injury during a hand recovery. A face shield and first aid kit would be good too.

I’m just curious, do you have Dynamic Home Position set so the drone will try to return to the moving boat in case that’s needed due to a low battery or loss of control? Otherwise, it will try to return to the watery spot from which you launched it. Also, I think there is another setting you should use so the ground position sensors aren’t confused by the water, but I don’t recall what it is. Good for you if you already know about these things; otherwise, you may want to look into them.

Since you're a teen I'll give you the dad answer; your hand heals for free, drone repairs do not. I've definitely nicked off pieces of my finger saving my mavic a few times. Worth the little bit of blood to maintain your pride and keep your parents wallet thicker. ?
Not sure I agree, I'd rather replace a drone than lose a finger or possible have permanent nerve damage. That said, I almost always hand catch my Mavic Air. Outside!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569