DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't laugh... noob question

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Thanks, and nice video! I have a little more confidence now, and will probably attempt it on a low/no-wind day with the Air 2S. I'll post a link to the video when I do.
I'll look forward to it!

I'll fly the SE in winds up to 10 mph, but not beyond that. And the winds at the top of the canyon rim are frequently way stronger than they are at my house, so I get the "High Wind Warning" pretty regularly.

The Air 2S should have no problems in 10 mph winds.

:cool:

pardon me, but wouldn't trespass happen the moment the drone crashes on the property?
That probably varies by jurisdiction. In the US, if an airplane crashes on private property, there may be damage liability, but it's not considered trespass.

An entirely reasonable approach, in my view.

I want to attempt to film some local terrain features (awesome rockfaces on an escarpment). The features are located on conservation authority land, from which drone operations are generally not allowed.

I can get "close" sort of, about 500m away, from public roads. The route in and out is direct and I can maintain VLOS. I want to attempt this with an Air 2S and other than overflying private property (farms, houses) it should be a piece of cake on a day with low winds.

So my noob question is this: is this a realistic distance for a flight mission, and what overall risk level would experienced pilots put this at? It's farther than I've flown before. I'm using the basic controller, and I'm sure the range is fine, but I'm nervous because I lost connectivity with my Mini SE the first day out after going about 150m and flying it behind the tops of some trees.

Any special considerations I should think about that maybe I haven't considered?

Context: Canadian location (Mt Nemo, Rattlesnake Point in Halton Region, Ontario), I am Basic RPAS pilot certified and this falls within basic operations in Class G airspace.

Thanks!
It depends. I note that you're in Canada, so Canadian law would apply.
In in the US, though, there is a legal distinction between operating a drone from a particular piece of land, and merely flying over it.
500m is definitely a "realistic" distance, especially if you have strobes to provide visual contact.

pardon me, but wouldn't trespass happen the moment the drone crashes on the property?
In short, not in Ontario. Trespass law only applies to people. If your *property* ends up on someone else's, it's a civil tort. But not a trespass offence. A trespass occurs when you enter the land to retrieve the property without permission or consent of the landowner, or you fail to leave when directed.

You may be able to use a defence of due diligence, duress, or necessity. As I recall many provincial offences are strict liability.

The landowner can sue you for the tort, but they have to prove damages. A drone simply landing on their property without damaging anything likely won't have any damages. Since the drone is your property, they cannot seize it without due process of law. And in a civil suit you have to mitigate your damages, one way might be to return your property.

Edit: I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. Also, fixed typos.

Last edited:
Since the drone is your property, they cannot seize it without due process of law. And in a civil suit you have to mitigate your damages, one way might be to return your property.
I can hear it now, the claimant says, "OK, I have to return your drone, but I do not know how its legs got "broken" when it crashed into my petunias…"

I think most people, at least in my neighbourhood are not sociopaths and would be very helpful in retrieving my drone if it crashed on their property but then again I live in a small village of about 500 people and know a lot of them. I try not to fly over them and if I do I don't waist any time hovering or a low fight path over them. I did have one Neighbour move in behind me a few years ago and she was a Nancy big time. After talking to her and showing her what I do with my drone she calmed down but I do avoid her as much as possible. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure