DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Downloading media?

Maui19

Reactions
I cannot figure out how to batch download vids and pics from my MA2 (or iPhone). I can download individual files, but after I do that, the files on my iPhone still show as not downloaded. I have spent a bunch of time trying to figure this out, but honestly I am on search overload now and tired of trying to find answers to simple questions. The DJI documentation is terrible, and doesn't adequately explain much of the most basic stuff IMO. Help!

Uuum remove the memory card from the drone and put it in a reader attached to your computer perhaps?
Naw...that would be to easy....after all it is a DJI problem with the Apple architecture file system.. ;)

I turn on my drone and plug it in to my laptop, cut and paste. Or, you can remove the SD card and use a reader. Either way I haven't had any problems at all getting the files off the drone. Are we misinterpreting your message?

I don't have an mSD card in my drone yet.
I turn on my drone and plug it in to my laptop, cut and paste. Or, you can remove the SD card and use a reader. Either way I haven't had any problems at all getting the files off the drone. Are we misinterpreting your message?
Perfect--thanks!

Something to bear in mind... For people inexperienced with computers and digital photography/videography, buying a drone might be the first time that they've been exposed to dealing with large media files. Things that seem common sense or intuitive to some may not be for others.

The DJI documentation is terrible, and doesn't adequately explain much of the most basic stuff IMO. Help!

It's because file transfer doesn't have much to do with DJI.

Anyway, I just want to highlight that when you shoot footage with your drone and it saves a copy onto your phone, that video is a much-compressed and low quality version primarily to help you review your work without the hassle of transferring onto a computer. The high quality raw video has been stored in your MA2's internal storage (because you haven't installed an SD card).

You should buy a micro-SD card asap and change the default storage to that SD card. Then you can easily transfer the raw video and photos from your drone to your computer with a card reader, which usually comes for free when you buy a card.

With the software update, I noticed it will download high res to your phone if you have that enabled. I got the message "iCloud almost full" and looked into my pictures and it has been transferring the high resolution images to my phone. So it does work with the MA2 and the MM2.

What others are saying, buy an SD card. I also fly an MA2. I use a Samsung (MB-ME64GA/AM) 64GB 100MB/s (U3) Micro SDXC EVO Select Memory Card, with success. I have several that I interchange, rather than all media on one (128) card. Just a thought. There are many options with a quick Internet search. Others may weigh in with their preference.
I use an Android (Note 8) and am able to share individual pictures/videos while in flight. I have enjoyed that option. Wish you well in your flying experience. Happy New Year.

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks everybody--I'm good. Once I learned you could connect to the MA2 via usb cable, that solved all my needs. I ordered a mSD last week, but it doesn't arrive until tomorrow. My experience with mSD cards is that they can be a bit fragile and finicky, so I don't plan on removing it to access media--using a cable turns my MA2 into an external hard drive (actually an SSD which is even better!).

The cards are easy to lose, and maybe a bit tricky to install/remove due to size but I don't find them fragile or finicky.
Even being a bit tricky to install/remove, not so much so to deter doing so to transfer files with a card reader.

The videos shouldn't be downloading to the phone automatically. Even with Quick transfer, which requires initiating the connection, it only transfers at 40MBps max.
What might be filling up the iCloud is the cache videos which are highly compressed 720 or 1080p.

I believe you'll eventually be tired of having to maintain AC battery charge, disconnect/reconnect USB cable, making sure gimbal cover is removed just to transfer files, or worse yet as an external HD.

The cards are easy to lose, and maybe a bit tricky to install/remove due to size but I don't find them fragile or finicky.
Even being a bit tricky to install/remove, not so much so to deter doing so to transfer files with a card reader.

The videos shouldn't be downloading to the phone automatically. Even with Quick transfer, which requires initiating the connection, it only transfers at 40MBps max.
What might be filling up the iCloud is the cache videos which are highly compressed 720 or 1080p.
Well my experience doesn't mirror yours regarding mSD cards (and some SD cards for that matter). I have 6 mSD (SanDisk 128g high speed) in some security cameras, and those have been mostly ok, but they are definitely on the fragile side and every once in a while one will go wonky. I've resigned myself to backing up their content over wifi (which really isn't that much of a pain). I used to use SD cards to store large files from my Macbook, but I would get enough read/write errors that I stopped trusting them and just installed a honkin giant SSD in my laptop and didn't need to regularly offload files any more.

I think you are directing your comment to someone else regarding the videos downloading to the phone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada