DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Downward Vision Sensors get Crazy Dust/Speckled Dirty

Bunny Too

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just looking at the lenses for the downward vision system through a jewelers loup an noticed they were coated with thousands of microscopic particals and smudges; hard to imagine the VPS system acquiring a lock, must have been all the landing and prop wash from field expedited LZ's. Cleaned it with kerosene and a stiff brush... No, just fooling, a photography solution, brush and little air puffer thing and they look pristine; going to go out to the range do some target practice and film and see if the cleaning made a difference in the hover.

Reactions: MLR
This is one reason I choose to hand launch and hand land my Mavic.

I dont baby my mavic, I just launch and land from the ground.
I make sure cameras, sensors, props etc are clean and good condition before taking off as you do with preflight checks.

Just looking at the lenses for the downward vision system through a jewelers loup an noticed they were coated with thousands of microscopic particals and smudges; hard to imagine the VPS system acquiring a lock, must have been all the landing and prop wash from field expedited LZ's. Cleaned it with kerosene and a stiff brush... No, just fooling, a photography solution, brush and little air puffer thing and they look pristine; going to go out to the range do some target practice and film and see if the cleaning made a difference in the hover.

The crap on the lens probably makes little difference to the image. Hold a thread hanging vertically in front of one eye and close the other eye. You can still see quite well. The point of focus is so far away (in relative terms) that it makes little difference.

I use alcohol and a Q-tip to clean it - and not often.

Also use a plywood board as a landing pad to reduce dust and dirt.

Use a landing pad where dusty. Even a mat from the car can serve as one.
I picked up a rubber door mat made of heavy neoprene with pictures of flowers and "Thug Life" in cursive. Anyway the drone hovered so solidly it was as if the universe rotated around it. I might experiment with some sacrificial lens cover I use for my lidar.

I used to use my back floor mat too. Till I noticed dust on my gimbal and associated cords. Now I hand launch. Use a leather glove on my right hand for safety. It's so easy, just practice on your patio, you'll see.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kasperskyy