DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just invented a new word, “drone’s-thumb”, I wish I hadn’t because my thumbs really hurt ever since I’ve been flying a drone it’s got worse and worse. I tried gels; Voltaren, Ice-Gel cold-packs, hot-packs the only thing that works is when I leave my drone alone.

Seems to be nothing on this and related sites. There are various other conditions such as gamers thumb, arthritis and repetitive stress syndrome (RSI) Repetitive strain injury - Wikipedia. Heavy pain killers are not something we should use long term.

I think mine is a combination of arthritis, I have lesser pain in other parts of my hands and serious RSI.
The only solution seems to be to use and alternative control e.g. fingers on a phone or tablet, if there is such a thing or give up my Mavic (f*** that).

Two points, has anyone found a solution that works for them?
Secondly if you are beginning to get it, act soon before it gets worse. There are things you can do in the early stages to curb its development.

You could try an alternate grip where you use both index finger and thumbs on the sticks. You'd probably lose control of the c buttons but at least you'd be giving your thumbs a bit of a break.

Oh, never thought of that. I'll give it a go or other similar alternatives. I do like the c buttons though. But there is always a workaround. Just didn't think of changing digits :) Thanks.

Quote "specialized: "You could try an alternate grip where you use both index finger and thumbs on the sticks. You'd probably lose control of the c buttons but at least you'd be giving your thumbs a bit of a break"

And as well as pinching the sticks, use a lanyard or tripod to support the RC

There are two types of RC pilots, Thumb pilots and Pinch pilots, you just need to chance camp.

specialized is a f****** hero. working like a dream. takes a bit of getting used to and you can use your 2nd and 3rd fingers for the other controls
Let's start a hero of the week, specialized is the first one.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60