DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone attack on Venezuelan President

I understand Venezuela is one of those country’s that does not allow drones in the country - at least when you are traveling in.
I wonder why ?

But going back to the attempt - that was the biggest crock of crap I have ever seen - propaganda - lies - that was my impression within the first 10 seconds of hearing the report - first of all a true hitman or team would pick him off with a high powered rifle from a distance and be done with - doubt if they would use a drone - buy let’s say that was the choice - they would have came a lot closer.....he took the opportunity to blame his rivals and Columbia of course.

I really feel for the Venezuelan people - I have friends - there will be many more lives lost before it gets better, this world is going to hell in the hand basket - at the sametime other governments are sitting on their hands not doung anything. This guy is a nut case - one should hear his speeches and see his programs - we should feel blessed to live in a free country that we live in.

So returning to drone convo to stay on topic - this was all a setup - my teenager could fly a drone up his a$$ and none of his bodyguards would even know what happened - much less a drone racer.

In conclusion - fake fake fake - the only thing that was real about it was a drone(s) was destroyed.

I understand Venezuela is one of those country’s that does not allow drones in the country - at least when you are traveling in.
I wonder why ?

But going back to the attempt - that was the biggest crock of crap I have ever seen - propaganda - lies - that was my impression within the first 10 seconds of hearing the report - first of all a true hitman or team would pick him off with a high powered rifle from a distance and be done with - doubt if they would use a drone - buy let’s say that was the choice - they would have came a lot closer.....he took the opportunity to blame his rivals and Columbia of course.

I really feel for the Venezuelan people - I have friends - there will be many more lives lost before it gets better, this world is going to **** in the hand basket - at the sametime other governments are sitting on their hands not doung anything. This guy is a nut case - one should hear his speeches and see his programs - we should feel blessed to live in a free country that we live in.

So returning to drone convo to stay on topic - this was all a setup - my teenager could fly a drone up his a$$ and none of his bodyguards would even know what happened - much less a drone racer.

In conclusion - fake fake fake - the only thing that was real about it was a drone(s) was destroyed.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but my first thought is that it is a fake attack as well. The drone in the video was basically hovering just waiting to get shot down.

Flying in low at 40 mph seems much more effective....or flying in at 800 feet and cutting the motors....or dropping the payload and
Letting gravity take over.

Yep - I was thinking the same thing - you don’t even have to drop it right on top of the idiot - just close enough if you have enough explosives. It was a nice drone - funny if somewhere else on the internet it comes up as a recycled video or someone who steps forward with proof that it was an old video they had recorded.

Either way it did not appear to be anything left - RIP to the poor drone........

Ever occur to anyone that this was staged in an excuse for Maduro to crack down even more . He is a dictator...

Edit: I missed a few of trying posts. I'm in agreement, this was propaganda.

Reactions: Lazaro68
I wonder why ?

I really feel for the Venezuelan people - I have friends - there will be many more lives lost before it gets better, this world is going to **** in the hand basket - at the sametime other governments are sitting on their hands not doung anything. This guy is a nut case - one should hear his speeches and see his programs - we should feel blessed to live in a free country that we live in.

It could well have been staged by Maduro, but that doesn't follow purely because it looks like an amateurish attempt.

Yep - I was thinking the same thing - you don’t even have to drop it right on top of the idiot - just close enough if you have enough explosives. It was a nice drone - funny if somewhere else on the internet it comes up as a recycled video or someone who steps forward with proof that it was an old video they had recorded.

Either way it did not appear to be anything left - RIP to the poor drone........

You have to get pretty close with small quantities of explosives. I suspect the exploding drone video is an actual recording of this event - the audio and imagery matches really well with the parade video. It would be a curious mixture of competence and incompetence if it were faked.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but my first thought is that it is a fake attack as well. The drone in the video was basically hovering just waiting to get shot down.

Flying in low at 40 mph seems much more effective....or flying in at 800 feet and cutting the motors....or dropping the payload and
Letting gravity take over.

They claim to have deployed one of the counter-UAV systems, so a hover response is not particularly surprising.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf

I’ll let the trolls have a field day (no pun intended)

That is cool. The birds looked like they were going too fast so I had to google to make sure this was real, it is and that pilot is good, as is the camera man.

I still think that you are being much too pessimistic. Small UAVs are really not that great a tool for this kind of thing. They are slow, noisy, small payload and easy to jam. Traditional RC aircraft would probably be better. This incident was a good example of how, even at this early stage in terms of counter-measures, they are not very effective against any kind of protected target. But they have novelty and shock value.

On the other side of the equation the market forces are strong, and the hobby side of the industry is paying for the bulk of the R&D. There will be more regulation, probably backed up by more stringent firmware controls, and counter-UAS systems will become commonplace. This one is not going back in the box though.

With the absence of detailed reporting from there it's hard to be sure of much at all. It was reported that the Venezuelan military had previously claimed to have counter-UAS equipment. I've been involved with some of that technology and the response of the drones in those videos is consistent with that, although that doesn't prove that it was used, of course.

I agree that racing quads might be more effective at delivery, but they will still rely on not having their uplink and/or GPS jammed.

As for whether it was a staged attempt - maybe. Although it's been pointed out that the way it unfolded did nothing to strengthen the image of Maduro - quite the opposite in fact. He looked scared and confused and his military personnel ran away.

Maduro is not renowned for needing reasons to kill off the opposition, but who knows.

My point about GPS was that you either need an intact uplink/downlink (for FPV) or GPS (autonomous) to get a UAV to a target. If both are jammed (or just the one that you are using) then they are not getting there.

Not to introduce a dystopic element in this thread, but we're not far from AI driven autonomous drones with targeted face-rec and no external telemetry or GPS dependence. 'Slaughterbots' film shows potential horrors of killer drones. Worthy of another thread in another blog. Sorry for the hijack.

How do you defeat a swarm attack scenario that uses INS with other existing onboard sensors; EW countermeasures in the RF spectrum would be useless. Optical terrain maps exist that could algorythmically work with INS to verify position in conjunction with barometric altmiters.

In violation of my hijacking apology, look at this:
Even Hawkings signed the petition to prevent this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78