DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone attack on Venezuelan President

Bruhaha

Reactions
I just saw that President Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela was “attacked by explosive laden drones (article mentions two drones). Of course this is early and the fog of war is thick at this point. I know the US is frequently blamed for Venezuelan economic ills so we will get no info concerning details. I’m asking if anyone knows the type of drones used. I could see how a small civilian drone could wreak damage very easily, especially to a nuclear power plant. I believe the French recently flew a drone(decorated to resemble Superman) into a nuclear reactor. This was done to show vulnerabilities with security.

I just saw that President Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela was “attacked by explosive laden drones (article mentions two drones). Of course this is early and the fog of war is thick at this point. I know the US is frequently blamed for Venezuelan economic ills so we will get no info concerning details. I’m asking if anyone knows the type of drones used. I could see how a small civilian drone could wreak damage very easily, especially to a nuclear power plant. I believe the French recently flew a drone(decorated to resemble Superman) into a nuclear reactor. This was done to show vulnerabilities with security.

It was a gas explosion at an apartment nearby and not a drone attack.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
Shouldn't this thread be in News and not Off-Topic?

Do you have any citations about the gas attack? Right now (22:40 PDT 04 August) BBC is reporting it as a drone attack.
Venezuela leader 'survives drone attack'

They should be able to solve this one quickly by determining if the contents of the apartment were blown into itself from something outside, or the contents were blown out from a gas explosion inside.

Open source media reports a pair of “Matrice 300’s?” Gas explosion report was possible failed spin. This rebel group has apparently decided on going cheap. It almost sounds like a half baked plan, almost too half baked... Hypothetically, certain flight profiles would be almost impossible to intercept as long as ECM/ECCM are not present. Other RC platforms would have been more ideal than drones. Minimal injury and a victorious state leader; how can his fellow countrymen not love him after that. Anyway, I love freedom of speech and satirical discussions.

As far as the hobby goes, say goodbye to easily accessible unlockware after this one

The sky isn’t falling. Besides, you don’t need any fancy “unlockware,” Dji made all mavjcs and possibly other drones easily unlock-able up to a certain firmware version.

I hope you are correct. I’m going to guess that the Venezuelan .gov is going to pay list price for airwatch if they haven’t already.

I found multiple articles that claimed about 1kg of c-4 on each drone.

And just one article that identified the drones as Dji m600.

The M600 has a payload of 6 kg (13.2 lbs). It is not immediately clear why they would not maximize payload of the airframe. Something does not make sense.

Beware of anything happening in Venezuela. Is a wanna be communist show trying to blame everyone else about their own incompetence. They are saying the opposition, USA and all their “enemies” was to blame and also arrested some journalists and other inocente people using this as an excuse.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
Interesting claimed use of defensive jammers:-

Radio jammers saved Venezuela’s president from deadly drone attack

Interior and Justice Minister Nestor Reverol announced later on television that the attack was carried out with two DJI Matrice 600 drones, a type widely used for filming which are larger professional versions of the firm’s popular consumer drones.

Silent protection
Reverol stated that each of the drones had been carrying a kilo of C-4 military explosive, and that “signal-inhibiting equipment” caused one fall short of their target, and the other had crashed. In other words, it was probably a jammer of some kind.

Possibly a reduced payload as they had to fly a long way.

There is video around of one exploding in the air - its definitely a matrice.

Reactions: Concern
It would be interesting to see if they jammed GPS L1&L2, shifted the timing to produce a false location and/or brute force jammed 2.4&5.8 GHz with 27 MHz etc. Cell/GPS jammers are avalavible to the general public. I saw a thread on here where neighbors were fighting about drone use and one bought this jammer from China. On the manufactures website a video showed the jammer made a P4 autoland supposedly. Does the Matrice auto land when it’s RTH in ATTI mode? I read somewhere snipers took them out but that would be an insane shot, but in autoland it would be easy.

It would be interesting to see if they jammed GPS L1&L2, shifted the timing to produce a false location and/or brute force jammed 2.4&5.8 GHz with 27 MHz etc. Cell/GPS jammers are avalavible to the general public. I saw a thread on here where neighbors were fighting about drone use and one bought this jammer from China. On the manufactures website a video showed the jammer made a P4 autoland supposedly. Does the Matrice auto land when it’s RTH in ATTI mode? I read somewhere snipers took them out but that would be an insane shot, but in autoland it would be easy.

Edit: RTH and looses GPS / looses GPS and control link

You can get fairly effective GPS jammers and spoofers on ebay for not a lot of money (or make your own with a hack RF).
I'd guess this jammed the uplink frequency instead.

LOL! Kind of like throwing the grenade up a hill and having it roll right back to you!

Reactions: Concern
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69