DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone ban is back on the table...

according to the Pilot Institute, the Senate version of the CCP drone act would not only ban new DJI and Autel drone models, it would also ground current drone models
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
to be fair, he said "grounding current fleets." I don't own a "fleet" and fleet context sounds like a reference to government agency drones who I think we already agree most likely won't be able to continue to fly *any* DJI drone regardless, in principle. Again, we just don't know for sure and without reading the [final] bill in detail, there will always be good discussion on what models are affected. It could be all drones old and new, all future (new) drones, or all drones after a certain date. Something tells me the FAA and/or the FCC might have a say in that decision.

according to the Pilot Institute, the Senate version of the CCP drone act would not only ban new DJI and Autel drone models, it would also ground current drone models
Do you have a link where it says how current drones would be be banned? I took a quick look at the amendment that Senator Scott introduced (https://www.congress.gov/amendment/118th-congress/senate-amendment/3098/text) and it makes no mention of currently owned drones. I'm not a lawyer nor a goldfish, so my understanding of that amendment may not be correct.

Then they better be ready to shell out a lot cash to compensate those who purchased said drones...

Do you have a link where it says how current drones would be be banned? I took a quick look at the amendment that Senator Scott introduced (https://www.congress.gov/amendment/118th-congress/senate-amendment/3098/text) and it makes no mention of currently owned drones. I'm not a lawyer nor a goldfish, so my understanding of that amendment may not be correct.
no...I don't have a link other than that video

I was just thinking that the Pilot Institute would be informed and mostly accurate

Reactions: mavictk
no...I don't have a link other than that video

I was just thinking that the Pilot Institute would be informed and mostly accurate
My link was to the actual amendment that was posted by Sen. Scott.

I didn't watch the video, my preference is to start with the source before reading or watching someone's opinion.

Your local chapter may allow them...but around here They don't allow them anywhere...that is a fact, not an opinion....as far as the need to "find another club".....I have looked as far as about 150 miles away, and have not found one that allows drones on their AMA fields

To me, the whole concept is ridiculous. The nature of flying a fixed-wing RC plane LOS is very different from flying a drone with a camera. Ignore what all the rules say for a moment, and just think about how you enjoy flying your drone.

If the drone hobby reduces to flying in comparably small areas over a big clearing, the "hobby" will end.

I could lazily fly my Gentle Lady back and forth over a length of coastal cliff maybe a hundred yards in either direction, and really enjoy it.

Replace the glider with an Air 3 but fly the same confined area, I'm bored in about 5 minutes.

FRIAs makes sense for RC planes and helis. They make no sense for a camera drone with all the flight assists a typical DJI drone has.

Adding drones would not have prevented someone from being killed on that day.

I must strongly disagree.

If the SS had a surveillance drone in the sky the pilot with near certainty would have seen Crooks moving on the roof well before he was able to get in position.

A drone can then be used to harass and attack the suspect, preventing him from setting up and taking aim.

Going forward, there should be a TFR (there was), and enough SS drones in the air positioned and hovering to cover the entire event. If it gets all the way to a breach and someone with a gun, several drones can neutralize the threat by threatening the suspect.

Seriously... Imagine a Squadron of 3 Avata 2's deployed with awesome manual FPV pilots as soon as the camera drones see him. I think they could keep him too busy the set up and take a shot.

To me, the whole concept is ridiculous. The nature of flying a fixed-wing RC plane LOS is very different from flying a drone with a camera. Ignore what all the rules say for a moment, and just think about how you enjoy flying your drone.

If the drone hobby reduces to flying in comparably small areas over a big clearing, the "hobby" will end.

I could lazily fly my Gentle Lady back and forth over a length of coastal cliff maybe a hundred yards in either direction, and really enjoy it.

Replace the glider with an Air 3 but fly the same confined area, I'm bored in about 5 minutes.

FRIAs makes sense for RC planes and helis. They make no sense for a camera drone with all the flight assists a typical DJI drone has.
I agree that a FRIA is not conducive to Drone flights, but I just wonder why anyone endorses AMA when it is so apparent they are not of any benefit to the drone community

Greg has corrected that part of the video. They won't be grounded.

If this goes through, will DJI only shut down their network in the US? Are other countries like Canada going to be affected as well?

You all are missing the real picture...while all the talk about bans is going on, the FAA Reauthorization Act passed in June. You need to dig that out and read it.

1) by end of Oct 2025 establish a testing system for Uniform Traffic Management. 3-5 companies overseeing drone traffic. You will need to submit flights prior to flying for them to enter into system and run deconfliction algorithm. Making sure you flight is not in the path of delivery drone or other air taxi commercial traffic traveling in corridors.
2) broadcast RID was only the first step. To make an UTM system work, you need network RID. Network RID was the original goal but broadcast RID was the compromise baby step. Network RID is next.

Just like every pilot submits a flight plan for GA... drone pilots will be doing so soon also.

Just attended the FAA Symposium....this is where everything is headed.

Receipts:

SEC. 609. BEYOND VISUAL LINE OF SIGHT RULEMAKING.

(a) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 4 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall issue a notice of proposed rulemaking establishing performance-based airworthiness criteria and risk-based operational regulations for unmanned aircraft systems operated beyond visual line of sight that are intended to operate primarily at or below 400 feet above ground level.
SEC. 610. UAS TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT.

(a) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may enter into agreements for purposes of—

(1) testing and refining UTM capabilities and services to inform the development of UTM standards in subsection (b);

(2) authorizing UTM service providers that meet the requirements described in subsection (b) to provide UTM services to better enable advanced unmanned aircraft systems operations, including—

beyond visual line of sight operations;

aircraft-to-aircraft communications; and

operations in which an individual acts as remote pilot in command of more than 1 unmanned aircraft at the same time; and

(3) fostering the safe integration of unmanned aircraft systems using UTM capabilities and services within the national airspace system.
FINALIZATION OF CONCEPT OF OPERATIONS.—Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator shall publish a final version of the UTM concept of operations of the Administration.

SEC. 613. REMOTE IDENTIFICATION ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF COMPLIANCE.

STUD Y.—The Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall review and evaluate the final rule titled “Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft”, issued on January 15, 2021, to determine the feasibility and advisability of whether unmanned aircraft manufacturers and operators can meet the intent of such final rule through alternative means of compliance, including through network–based remote identification.

REPORT.—Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator shall submit to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate a report on the results of the study under subsection (a).

Last edited:
If this goes through, will DJI only shut down their network in the US? Are other countries like Canada going to be affected as well?
I doubt it will affect other countries....unless they are in an election year and their lawmakers are paranoid and/or corrupt

I'll be curious if the ban goes thru for new DJI models will the FCC take any action if DJI vigourously markets and sells current models

speaking of which...how much latitude would the FCC have in interpreting the intent of the ban?

speaking of which...how much latitude would the FCC have in interpreting the intent of the ban?
Good question. I've already stated my opinion in several past threads so I'll reserve it further for now and let's see if anyone else is willing to honestly answer what the FCC and other agencies will do should the ban go into effect.

Sponsored by Rick Scott, who was convicted of the largest Medicare fraud in history. 1.7 BILLION dollars.

I’m sure he has every ones best interests in mind though…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoffreyBH