DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone ban is back on the table...

If this goes through, will DJI only shut down their network in the US? Are other countries like Canada going to be affected as well?
DJI Network? I'm confused? DJI drones use radio control and video transmission on standardized frequencies. There is no "DJI network".

DJI Network? I'm confused? DJI drones use radio control and video transmission on standardized frequencies. There is no "DJI network".
I think he meant "operations" such as their warehouses, delivery system, retails stores, and their network of dealers, retailers, and customers.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I mean the platform that the DJI Fly app runs on.
The platform that the Fly App runs on is Android and iOS. The app connects back to DJI web services to get information about updates. If that is what you meant by the platform, that is not US-specific and DJI would no reason to shutdown those services.

Reactions: BobbyLashley
The platform that the Fly App runs on is Android and iOS. The app connects back to DJI web services to get information about updates. If that is what you meant by the platform, that is not US-specific and DJI would no reason to shutdown those services.

Oh okay I see, that makes sense now. I can't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere online earlier this year that DJI would remove their apps from the App store if they did get banned in the U.S.

Some points I haven't seen discussed or covered by the proponents of the law:

- In terms of intelligence-gathering, how do drones differ from the millions of Chinese CCTV camera systems in operation around the country?

- Precisely what scenarios regarding imagery captured by drones are of concern? I'm talking about specific, real-world examples and the impact of those incidents.

- Network traffic analysis would be a trivial way to assess destination IP connections from these devices. Has anyone in the drone flying community performed this?

- If the concern is China's use of imagery collected from the devices, why can't technical solutions be implemented like US government-vetted firmware preventing the devices from connecting to the internet or separating the flight control systems from the image-gathering systems? In other words, imagery can only be transferred from the devices via SD card.

Lawmakers should be confronted with and answer these questions.

Some points I haven't seen discussed or covered by the proponents of the law:

- In terms of intelligence-gathering, how do drones differ from the millions of Chinese CCTV camera systems in operation around the country?

- Precisely what scenarios regarding imagery captured by drones are of concern? I'm talking about specific, real-world examples and the impact of those incidents.

- Network traffic analysis would be a trivial way to assess destination IP connections from these devices. Has anyone in the drone flying community performed this?

- If the concern is China's use of imagery collected from the devices, why can't technical solutions be implemented like US government-vetted firmware preventing the devices from connecting to the internet or separating the flight control systems from the image-gathering systems? In other words, imagery can only be transferred from the devices via SD card.

Lawmakers should be confronted with and answer these questions.
None of that matters. It's made in China and outsells the competition. Politicians can craft quick sound bites and they look like they are taking a strong stand against China.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoffreyBH