DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone ban is back on the table...

If this goes through, will DJI only shut down their network in the US? Are other countries like Canada going to be affected as well?
DJI Network? I'm confused? DJI drones use radio control and video transmission on standardized frequencies. There is no "DJI network".

DJI Network? I'm confused? DJI drones use radio control and video transmission on standardized frequencies. There is no "DJI network".
I think he meant "operations" such as their warehouses, delivery system, retails stores, and their network of dealers, retailers, and customers.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I mean the platform that the DJI Fly app runs on.
The platform that the Fly App runs on is Android and iOS. The app connects back to DJI web services to get information about updates. If that is what you meant by the platform, that is not US-specific and DJI would no reason to shutdown those services.

Reactions: BobbyLashley
The platform that the Fly App runs on is Android and iOS. The app connects back to DJI web services to get information about updates. If that is what you meant by the platform, that is not US-specific and DJI would no reason to shutdown those services.

Oh okay I see, that makes sense now. I can't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere online earlier this year that DJI would remove their apps from the App store if they did get banned in the U.S.

Some points I haven't seen discussed or covered by the proponents of the law:

- In terms of intelligence-gathering, how do drones differ from the millions of Chinese CCTV camera systems in operation around the country?

- Precisely what scenarios regarding imagery captured by drones are of concern? I'm talking about specific, real-world examples and the impact of those incidents.

- Network traffic analysis would be a trivial way to assess destination IP connections from these devices. Has anyone in the drone flying community performed this?

- If the concern is China's use of imagery collected from the devices, why can't technical solutions be implemented like US government-vetted firmware preventing the devices from connecting to the internet or separating the flight control systems from the image-gathering systems? In other words, imagery can only be transferred from the devices via SD card.

Lawmakers should be confronted with and answer these questions.

- In terms of intelligence-gathering, how do drones differ from the millions of Chinese CCTV camera systems in operation around the country?

- Precisely what scenarios regarding imagery captured by drones are of concern? I'm talking about specific, real-world examples and the impact of those incidents.

- Network traffic analysis would be a trivial way to assess destination IP connections from these devices. Has anyone in the drone flying community performed this?

- If the concern is China's use of imagery collected from the devices, why can't technical solutions be implemented like US government-vetted firmware preventing the devices from connecting to the internet or separating the flight control systems from the image-gathering systems? In other words, imagery can only be transferred from the devices via SD card.

None of that matters. It's made in China and outsells the competition. Politicians can craft quick sound bites and they look like they are taking a strong stand against China.

Reactions: davidarmenb
I don';t remember how long ago it was that I contacted one of the NY Senators...it was at least 3 or 4 months ago...I got this today...I think part of the reason we don't get anywhere is that they just do not read what we send them.....notice her last paragraph...I did not write to her to support the effort
1724345503014.png

notice her last paragraph...I did not write to her to support the effort
It looks like the intern sent you the wrong form letter back..

Just demoralizing... 🥺

What a bunch of self-centered, preening Mandarins...

Reactions: davidarmenb
Not really demoralizing...just what you would expect from someone of her political persuasion

While I do have a political POV, my comment was non-partisan.

Decorum, civility, compromise, civil disagreement, professionalism, competence, all hallmarks of a functioning democracy, have been steadily eroding over the last 2-3 decades among our leaders.

No party escapes blame. These practices, often viewed as unnecessary, indeed obstacles, are showing now by their decay how necessary they are.

Last edited:

Lawmakers only have one agenda...$$$
None of this is about intelligence gathering. That should have been blatantly obvious when a Chinese nationalist was allowed into a missle silo during the Bill Clinton administration.
The amount of stuff that happens outside of mainstream (or substream) media would make the average citizen go into full panic about the future of the USA. The above example of the typical "form letter " response from officials that YOU elect, only shines a dim light on how disconnected the government is from the citizens.
As a former military contractor, I assure you that it's worse than you think.

Reactions: mavic3usa
There is an interesting article in the Washington Post this morning about lawmakers looking to close the "loophole" that DJI created with Anzu Robotics.

"Lawmakers call for crackdown on DJI drone clones as ban looms"

Some highlights....

Washington Post said:
The House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party last week issued a letter to the Commerce Department calling on them to investigate two firms that are accused of acting as conduits for the Chinese drone maker. Lawmakers say that these companies are licensing Chinese technology, fabricating similar products in other countries, then selling the finished drones in the United States — violating in spirit, if not in practice, proposed rules that would force Chinese companies out of the U.S. market.

Washington Post said:
“We cannot allow Chinese companies to evade American scrutiny by white labeling their products,” committee chairman, John Moolenaar (R-Mich.) said. “The U.S. government must take action to address this national security concern and flagrant disregard for American law.”

Washington Post said:
“Ensuring America leads the way in domestic innovation and manufacturing is of critical importance in winning the strategic competition with the CCP,” said Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-Ill.), ranking Democrat for the House Select Committee on the CCP.

Washington Post said:
“We definitely would use Anzu if our lawmakers foolishly forced us into doing so,” said Kyle Nordfors, drone search-and-rescue coordinator for Weber County, Utah, where local law enforcement relies on DJI drones for everything from SWAT team operations to searching for lost hikers.

Nordfors is a strong opponent of legislation that would ban DJI drones. “American lives will be lost because of it,” he said. “I’ve yet to meet a public safety agency that is in favor of it.”

I generated a gift link to the article.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr