DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone camera settings when shooting LED screens?

MattDrone25

Reactions
Help, please! Does anyone have experience shooting LED screens with the drone? Or if not just help with camera settings. When shooting or doing video on LCD screens I always end up getting the squiggly lines and it’s never a smooth shot. Any advice or tips to avoid those squiggly lines? I try slowing the shutter down, bringing the shutter up and even changing the anti flicker off or different Hz and still nothing. I have a M3 Pro and Air 2S and they both do it no matter the settings. 🤷🏻

Thanks for any help and advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
When shooting or doing video on LCD screens I always end up getting the squiggly lines and it’s never a smooth shot. Any advice or tips to avoid those squiggly lines?
Off the top of my head, I'd suspect it might be shutter speed related.
But if you can post an example of what you are getting with a slow shutter speed, that might help solve the mystery.
Please upload one or two examples to Google Drive or similar and post a link here.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Not an expert but LED displays are progressive which means the image is updated by a scanning process, top left to bottom right. So your camera only captures part of the image in each frame. I don’t think there is a solution, this is the same issue in TV studios showing say a wx map. It’s solved by capturing a green or blue screen during the presentation and then superimposing the wx map in post before transmission. And/or could be caused by an interpherance patern based on the resolution of yr camera and the LED display

Last edited:
Reactions: michaeldallen1
It’s the Moiré effect with that pattern. Happens on video as well when I shoot in 4K 30/60 or 1080/30. 🤷🏻

Attachments

• Pumplin Sphere-1.jpeg
    Pumplin Sphere-1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
It’s the Moiré effect with that pattern. Happens on video as well when I shoot in 4K 30/60 or 1080/30. 🤷🏻
Yes .. that's a moire issue and can show up with any subject with a fine repeating pattern.
It can be difficult to eliminate in drone shooting.
This article gives some more details, but some of their suggestions aren't applicable to drone cameras.

Yes .. that's a moire issue and can show up with any subject with a fine repeating pattern.
It can be difficult to eliminate in drone shooting.
This article gives some more details, but some of their suggestions aren't applicable to drone cameras.
Thank you for the video. I’ve tried using the PS technique as well and it doesn’t remove it that much. A little, but not completely or as noticeable. I wasn’t sure if there was a particular camera setting I should be doing to where it doesn’t do it at all but I guess there’s not. I’ve gone as low as 1/6-1/8 and still there. 😔

The higher the resolution the less issues you’ll have with moire patterns so the best you can do is shoot RAW.

I’ve gone as low as 1/6-1/8 and still there. 😔
The slow shutter speed would make a difference if the issue was due to the image scanning, but the moire pattern is there the whole time so a slow shutter speed won't help with that.

Reactions: MattDrone25
The higher the resolution the less issues you’ll have with moire patterns so the best you can do is shoot RAW.
Shooting raw makes no difference to the image resolution.
Shoot jpg or raw and the resolution is exactly the same.

Reactions: dstuart
> Keep soft focus
> Decrease shutter speed JUST enough so not blurry
> No steep angles (up and down) : LED screens can have horizontal slats for environmental reasons and to direct light to improve display. If shooting from too much of an angle and not straight on - they can ruin the shot
> No sharp angles (left to right): Same as above really

Reactions: MattDrone25
> Keep soft focus
> Decrease shutter speed JUST enough so not blurry
> No steep angles (up and down) : LED screens can have horizontal slats for environmental reasons and to direct light to improve display. If shooting from too much of an angle and not straight on - they can ruin the shot
> No sharp angles (left to right): Same as above really
Great tips! How would you keep a soft focus?

Not Moiré effect. LED signs are strobed (or scanned if you prefer) at a fairly high rate. Each LED is lit only for a fraction of the time - usually around a quarter or less of the available time, but at a brighter light. This occurs at about 100+ times per second to eliminate visible flicker. You eye sees this as a constant light but a camera only takes a quick single snap view so only sees the LEDs that are lit at that time. You would probably need to have an open aperture for the full scan time to see all the lit LEDs that the eye sees.

Help, please! Does anyone have experience shooting LED screens with the drone? Or if not just help with camera settings. When shooting or doing video on LCD screens I always end up getting the squiggly lines and it’s never a smooth shot. Any advice or tips to avoid those squiggly lines? I try slowing the shutter down, bringing the shutter up and even changing the anti flicker off or different Hz and still nothing. I have a M3 Pro and Air 2S and they both do it no matter the settings. 🤷🏻

Thanks for any help and advice!
LED monitors refresh at 60hz. Look in your settings menu and check that your camera isn't set to 50hz.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas