DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone crashes into Bald Eagle nest

Reporting as a drone crashed into the nest, instead of just reporting that drone parts are visible.

That was a quote, not speculation:

"A drone apparently crashed into an eagles nest in a eucalyptus tree in Ardenwood Historic Park, displacing the majestic birds from their perch at least temporarily, officials said Tuesday."

I realize that they are protected and do not require a sanctuary, but it is Class G airspace and I don’t know of any law that prevents flying in their territory which is quite large. I do agree that a nesting pair should not be disturbed.

Trust me when I say that they are not the regal birds most equate them to be. I have seen them steal food from other birds instead of doing their own hunting. I witnessed one take a fish from the beak of a Great Blue Heron and another chase off a flock of turkey buzzards from a carcass.
Condors aren't exactly regal either, but they are protected non the less. Drone pilots like it or not must yield the airspace - we are at the bottom of the pecking order so to speak.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I realize that they are protected and do not require a sanctuary, but it is Class G airspace and I don’t know of any law that prevents flying in their territory which is quite large. I do agree that a nesting pair should not be disturbed.

Trust me when I say that they are not the regal birds most equate them to be. I have seen them steal food from other birds instead of doing their own hunting. I witnessed one take a fish from the beak of a Great Blue Heron and another chase off a flock of turkey buzzards from a carcass.

And on top of all that, they steal drones. Lazy, entitled creatures, by the sound of it. How apt¡

The only things Eagles bring to the nest are materials to construct it, materials to repair it, materials for the eggs/babies to lay in, and food.

I have spent hundreds of hours over the last 9 years watching an Eagles nest that is covered by really good video cameras and going to the nest area and photographing them from the ground.

When the cameras are up and running there are always people watching them, and never have I seen any mention of extraneous materials being brought to the nest.... the closest to one was a stuffed squirrel toy that was brought home by Dad one afternoon.

View attachment 128315

I too am addicted to watching the live stream from a Florida eagle's nest. The current eaglet just left the nest :(

If I was watching live and saw a drone obviously close to the nest I would be pretty pissed off and would pray that the pilot was caught and prosecuted. A lot of eagle cams do not give the exact location to avoid human meddling.

I am wondering if the "parts" are a drone leg or something that the parents used as building material. I've watched numerous times as the parents brought branches and grass in a never ending building and repair of the nest.

I sure hope this is fake news, I hate to even think that's some moron wanted to get footage of a bald eagle's nest and crashed in to it. Too many morons buying drones lately, been hearing a lot of crashes the last 6 months.

Might not be wild speculation - look at the Phantom landing gear at 1:30 in the video.

Apparently they hired a professional drone operator to take a look see... but no drone in the nest. Mystery continues....

Last edited:
That was a quote, not speculation:

"A drone apparently crashed into an eagles nest in a eucalyptus tree in Ardenwood Historic Park, displacing the majestic birds from their perch at least temporarily, officials said Tuesday."
I actually meant other peoples speculation(s) on this thread :)

Reactions: sar104
Exactly what I thought. ?
Although some birds are know to "decorate" a nest, eagles are not known to normally do this... if they did do this, my question would be why are the pieces no longer in the nest? Also if you look at the position of the Phantom leg, it's poking up in the middle of the nest.... kinda like a whole drone is upside down in the nest at the time the photo was taken.

My theory (after seeing the photo evidence and listening to the locals comments about that particular day) is that somoe indeed crashed into the nest then the eagles must have got it out of the nest at some point and it dropped to the ground (or perhaps it's still up in the trees, lower down?)... then maybe (if not stuck lower down in the trees) the perpetrator came back looking for it and took it away before they could be ID'd. I would think if it were lower down in the trees the parks people would have found it by now. Anyway, just a theory.

Might not be wild speculation - look at the Phantom landing gear at 1:30 in the video.

Apparently they hired a professional drone operator to take a look see... but no drone in the nest. Mystery continues....

There are a crap load of drones made that tried to copy DJI Phantoms, to boldly say a "Phantom landing gear" is a stretch. I have included a actual photo of a spare Phantom landing gear, and in this instance not a match, DJI landing gear did not have a angle in toward body, and that could have been anything, not even a landing gear. Best not to speculate or point out a brand...of the now disappearing drone.

Attachments

• 20210502_232313[1].jpg
    20210502_232313[1].jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 16
There are a crap load of drones made that tried to copy DJI Phantoms, to boldly say a "Phantom landing gear" is a stretch. I have included a actual photo of a spare Phantom landing gear, and in this instance not a match, DJI landing gear did not have a angle in toward body, and that could have been anything, not even a landing gear. Best not to speculate or point out a brand...of the now disappearing drone.
Let me correct: "A Phantom type/style drone"... apparent by the style of landing gear. BTW, it still looks identical to the P2 that I still have. The particular issue, IMO, is not even what type it was, but the fact that any drone of any type apparently crashed into the nest.

Let me correct: "A Phantom type/style drone"... apparent by the style of landing gear. BTW, it still looks identical to the P2 that I still have. The particular issue, IMO, is not even what type it was, but the fact that any drone of any type apparently crashed into the nest.
No it didn’t.... IMHO

Reactions: DoomMeister

I find it odd that drones are banned in the park (Ardenwood Farms), but the park service hired a drone operator to check out the nest. Then they don’t show any footage of that flight that would corroborate or disprove a crashed drone. All we get are comments from the neighborhood naysayers. Still sounds like knee jerk alarmist to me. I would personally never fly near the nest of any predatory bird and risk my drone being attacked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000