DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone didn't cut out!

addycee

Reactions
Hi all,

I had a bizarre moment with my Air 2S not cutting out when hand-catching it....

I took my Air 2S out for a flight yesterday. Wherever possible I will land on the floor, however occasionally I will hand-catch it if necessary. As anyone who hand-catches these will know, you get a bit of resistance, but then as you turn the drone upside down it cuts out. Same as with my Mini 2. But yesterday it just wouldn't cut out even upside down. I was gripping onto it but was terrified to let it go in case it shot off in some random direction.

In the end my brother pressed the button on top of the battery to shut it off whilst I gripped onto it as hard as I could until it shut off! Never had that happen before and used a few more times afterwards with no issues.

Anyone had this?!

When I hand catch, I just keep holding the left stick all of the way down until the motors stop.

I let the drone over a little bit above my head and I put my hand underneath the drone. As I bring it down, it hesitates and seems to detect my hand as the ground. As I keep holding the left stick down, it then slowly comes down that last bit into my hand and the motors stop.

I've also proceed with hand catching with my old Air 2 like this:

I've decrease the height to the eye line and catch it by hand at the bottom.. at the same with the other hand keep pressing left stick down until cut off...

BUT I'VE REPLACE MY DRONE WITH AIR 2S AND TRY TO DO THE SAME..

but when I've catch it by hand and pressing left lever down - nothing happens.. also drone try to increase the height at Full power.. so..

I watch videos on YouTube with air 2s how to catch it by hand.. and proceed like that:

Put the hand under the drone.. and keep pressing left lever for landing.. than hand catching goes perfect.. drone just landing in my hand..

Being Terrified to let it go is Panic, as well as your Brother sticking his hand between the live action blades.

If it happens again : Just release the drone and let it land without anyone sticking there fingers between the blades.

Sensor do get confused at times , it happens. The key is not to panic ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the RAIN.

When I hand catch, I just keep holding the left stick all of the way down until the motors stop.

I let the drone over a little bit above my head and I put my hand underneath the drone. As I bring it down, it hesitates and seems to detect my hand as the ground. As I keep holding the left stick down, it then slowly comes down that last bit into my hand and the motors stop.

I would never flip it, but I very frequently do the above with no issue on all my DJI craft.

Reactions: Howard70
Thanks guys. I’ve done it plenty of times with the mini 2 and a handful of times with the 2s without it ever happening and believed it had some sort of tech inside to auto cutout if upside down. But it was having none of it, and was pulling so hard against my grip that letting go wasn’t really an option for fear of which direction it would shoot off in.
Hopefully it was a one off, as it didn’t happen any following times. Just wondered if anyone else had ever had it happen. So far seems like no!

Reactions: maggior
90 degree's should shut it down, but I know my Phantom 3 continued to run upside down once or maybe more time's.
My idea is just to step away if it happens to me...Who knows if that is what I would actually do o_O
I nearly always hand land and I make sure I'm in balance on good footing just in case.
Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks guys. I’ve done it plenty of times with the mini 2 and a handful of times with the 2s without it ever happening and believed it had some sort of tech inside to auto cutout if upside down. But it was having none of it, and was pulling so hard against my grip that letting go wasn’t really an option for fear of which direction it would shoot off in.
Hopefully it was a one off, as it didn’t happen any following times. Just wondered if anyone else had ever had it happen. So far seems like no!
Upside-down doesn't work, keeps running. 90 degree works to kill motors.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer