DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Drowned!

Sorry about you losing your drone. WE all make mistakes, when learning.
Just curious as to what happened, could help sone body else avoid doing the same thing. I have pontoons on my MP's as well, but I don't mess around with water landings. Only for veteran pilots, you never want to get a drop of water inside the battery compartment. Have never heard of a EMERGENCY landing on water going well. Usually, only thing worth saving is the body, and especially if salt water gets inside with the electronics.
I was practicing, with water puddles after a rain, and that made me nervous. I just have them for back up, so it floats, and send the other one to retrieve out of the water.
Actually I flew it off of my boat at anchor a couple of times and had successful flights. It was scary but the shots were great! It was a quick and deadly mistake! Lesson learned give it altitude right away and get away from the boat as quick as possible.

Attachments

• Photo_6553720_DJI_120_jpg_6025693_0_20201115135710_photo_original.jpg
    Photo_6553720_DJI_120_jpg_6025693_0_20201115135710_photo_original.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Photo_6553724_DJI_124_jpg_6105266_0_2020111514610_photo_original.JPG
    Photo_6553724_DJI_124_jpg_6105266_0_2020111514610_photo_original.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 14
Thanks all for your replies! It took a bit for the sting to go away and indeed I did order a replacement. Hopefully i will be back in the air (a bit smarter) soon!

It was my understanding that the logs on the phone will take you to exactly where it went down.
Not quite exactly! Plus 15' down, plus murky water, plus salt water damage.... especially after 8 days submerged!!! I just swallowed my pride and take it as a lesson learned!

I did look for the log but I think the flight was so short it never got a log started.

Last edited:
Not quite exactly! Plus 15' down, plus murky water, plus salt water damage.... especially after 8 days submerged!!! I just swallowed my pride and take it as a lesson learned!

I did look for the log but I think the flight was so short it never got a log started.
Not likely. As soon as you power the drone on, it starts the log. No flight is even necessary.

Good luck retrieving it.

Not likely. As soon as you power the drone on, it starts the log. No flight is even necessary.

Good luck retrieving it.
Yup Toni you are correct! Had to manually go in and find it but I did and have a last known gps coordinate for it. Not certain what I will do with it. BTW will a magnet pick one of these up? Might try fishing for it for fun!

Reactions: Tony McDrone
If you had a strong enough rare earth magnet you might pick it up by a motor but I checked mine and can't find anything magnetic except the motor.
How deep is the water?

If you have any current there in the water it's probably moved quite a distance. These things are so light it wouldn't take much to move it around.

Reactions: Nodak7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom