DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Flight in Restricted Airspace

nleimbach

Reactions
Hello, everyone!

I have been invited by Calvert Cliffs State Park in Maryland to document some of their environmental work with their wetlands in the park. Normally, Maryland State Parks prohibits drone flight in their parks, but since they're the ones inviting me, this is no worry.

However, half of the park is under Restricted Area R-4007. This airspace is controlled by the US Navy at NAS Patuxent River. It's active between 0700-2300.

Does anyone here have any experience in getting cleared into any sort R-XXXX airspace? The folks at Calvert Cliffs SP seem pretty optimistic that we can fly, but obviously, I'd like to do this above board.

What's the first phone call to make here? To the Navy? Send an email? Or am I up a creek?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a Part 107 certificate?

The paper chart, or a pdf of the chart, (or maybe the chart supplement?) should have the phone number of the controlling agency for every restricted area. Sadly, services such as vfrmap.com don’t include this info, which would be so convenient.

The pdfs are free online at FAA, but are huge downloads needing a little allowance of time.

I think you will need to file for an airspace authorization via the FAA DroneZone site then, describing your proposed operation in detail. If they then approve the operation, you'll receive a document that might have other operating requirements, such as phoning the controlling agency immediately prior to commencing your actual flight operation. (I've seen this requirement for other authorizations that involve military airspace)

Reactions: Lbesing
In addition to the controlling agency you’ll want to check if DJI has the area locked in their Geo Zone system.

Reactions: Lbesing
In addition to the controlling agency you’ll want to check if DJI has the area locked in their Geo Zone system.

I just took at look at the DJI Geo Map and it looks like they have don't have a restricted area for that location.

Reactions: SethB
I think you will need to file for an airspace authorization via the FAA DroneZone site then, describing your proposed operation in detail. If they then approve the operation, you'll receive a document that might have other operating requirements, such as phoning the controlling agency immediately prior to commencing your actual flight operation. (I've seen this requirement for other authorizations that involve military airspace)
I don't think that DroneZone approves operations in any Special Use Airspace. That requires authorization from the controlling or owning agency. Washington ARTCC handles communications for R-4007.

I don't think that DroneZone approves operations in any Special Use Airspace. That requires authorization from the controlling or owning agency. Washington ARTCC handles communications for R-4007.
Is there another documented process for an UAS operator to contact such an agency?

Obviously as a manned pilot, you'd just reach them on the radio before entering the airspace, but that clearly doesn't work in this case.

Is there another documented process for an UAS operator to contact such an agency?

Obviously as a manned pilot, you'd just reach them on the radio before entering the airspace, but that clearly doesn't work in this case.
I'm not sure that there is a single method covering all SUA. In our restricted airspace (R-5101) the requests go through our airspace coordinator, and authorization is passed via ZAB.

I'd just call Washington ARTCC by phone as a first step.

First, Maryland State Parks are not restricted airspace but you will need to notify the Park Administrator that you will be flying drones. That is required under the Maryland Department of Natural Resources rules. Maryland state law also pre-empts any municipality or country from having their own drone rules and only requires drone operators to follow part 107. So all local parks are available to drones as well. I have worked with Pax river to get clearance over restricted airspace as a Pilot but not as a drone operator. They have a huge restricted area over Tangier Island where they do practice bombing exercises over a target ship just west of Tangier. That airspace is not always active and I have been cleared to enter it a few times even when active, but still unnerving to hear traffic reports of a F-14 at your 3 oclock position, 3 miles. I would just call the airspace administrator and ask if it is active or open to a drone flight (give hours and specific location). Contact information for any restricted airspace will be on the sectional charts.

Last edited:
Reactions: colorado kid
Hello, everyone!

I have been invited by Calvert Cliffs State Park in Maryland to document some of their environmental work with their wetlands in the park. Normally, Maryland State Parks prohibits drone flight in their parks, but since they're the ones inviting me, this is no worry.

However, half of the park is under Restricted Area R-4007. This airspace is controlled by the US Navy at NAS Patuxent River. It's active between 0700-2300.

Does anyone here have any experience in getting cleared into any sort R-XXXX airspace? The folks at Calvert Cliffs SP seem pretty optimistic that we can fly, but obviously, I'd like to do this above board.

What's the first phone call to make here? To the Navy? Send an email? Or am I up a creek?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, I flew just inside restricted area R-4007 off Patuxent Beach Road on June 25th. NAS Pax has a UAV coordination office. Call 301-342-3836 and ask to speak to the airspace coordinator. He can get an authorization document prepared. There should be an instruction on the document to contact the ATC officer immediately before flight. The authorization document should list the number.

Reactions: sar104
The State Park administrators are not the authorizing entity. Just because they invited you doesn’t mean you’d be flying legally if it’s controlled airspace. Only the FAA can give you that clearance, so what the guys above have mentioned is the right thing to do.

What do apps like B4UFLY / Aloft / etc say when "planning" the flight in the area? As some stated above, the Navy seems to give a # you can call to help set that up for Pax River, but doesn't LAANC come into play as well - thus the need to get prior authorization of all parties that are in that airspace? Those apps should help to figure out what is needed if LAANC is indeed part of that "restricted" airspace.

I would make sure I have some type of document from the people whom are requesting you to drone the area as well. Would guess if you're being paid - then you may have a contract, purchase order, etc. - but a letter of authorization from somebody way up the food chain is never a bad idea. CYA is always in effect when flying in "restricted" airspace.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143