DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone flying in Ireland, anyone?

Jimck9

Reactions
Was hoping to fly my M2Z around some of the sights we'll visit this summer in Ireland. I contacted my tour operator to ask about permits or anything else that may be required before I could fly. She replied back with a link to the Irish equivalent of the FAA, and a link to some Irish RC clubs. It appears that I may be required to pass some kind of test to get a permit to fly, kind of like our Part 107 permit?
Does anyone have recent experience flying in Ireland?

I'm not based in Ireland but perhaps this may help?

IAA - Drones

It seems you would have to register the Drone (if over 1Kg), but I don't see anything about a test

We do Christmas in the West every year, staying at Dromoland Castle. i've flown from there, and the Cliffs of Moher, Lahinch and the Grange and have never had anyone give me a second look.
The Guardi don't care and are more likely to come chat with you about how cool it is than give you any grief.

Dublin is.....Dublin. Don't fly in town, not that you could anyway. I've flown off Bray and it's fantastic.

ld:dr - The Irish Authorities have much bigger things to worry about.

Slainte!

Last edited:
Reactions: benny01
Am I hurting you?.....I should be I'm standing on your hair!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Reactions: mordread
James,

Here's your challenge:
So ... I found a piece of music on my favorite composer's SoundCloud page that really touched this shriveled-up Irish frustrated filmmaker's heart, so I went and 'borrowed' clips from 5 or 6 videos online and put this 3-minute short together.
This I do for myself when I have fulfilled my obligations to everyone else for the week.

It's not polished but I just HAD to do something with it.
This can/will NEVER go public because I do not have rights to the content, but I wanted to share it with you.

Password: FlameFilm

Speakers on and enjoy - but don't share it.

For more of his music, go to One of my drone reels:

Len Savage
San Diego, CA

That was really cool! We've been to Cliffs of Moher three times, twice cloudy, rainy and once brilliant sunshine, I just discovered a Cliff cruise out of Doolin which should give a us a whole new perspective and it only costs 10 Euro apiece!

Where was the big ship footage taken? We're doing a scouting trip this year to see if we can come up with an itinerary that would interest some SCA friends to maybe do a trip in 2020

If your drone weighs over 1kg you are required to register it, otherwise just follow the drone code, no test needed. The drone code in Ireland is pretty similar to many other places (maintain VLOS, stay under 400', keep away from people, buildings, airports etc). Just fly sensibly and safely and you'll be fine. And it's a beautiful country.

Where was the big ship footage taken? We're doing a scouting trip this year to see if we can come up with an itinerary that would interest some SCA friends to maybe do a trip in 2020

I do not recall exactly which video I 'borrowed' from but I likely found it with the Google search: "tall ship video". There's a bunch of stuff there.

Len Savage - San Diego

Was hoping to fly my M2Z around some of the sights we'll visit this summer in Ireland. I contacted my tour operator to ask about permits or anything else that may be required before I could fly. She replied back with a link to the Irish equivalent of the FAA, and a link to some Irish RC clubs. It appears that I may be required to pass some kind of test to get a permit to fly, kind of like our Part 107 permit?
Does anyone have recent experience flying in Ireland?

Ill be there in June. We’ll be traveling in and around Cork, Galway and Limerick. Looking forward to north of Galway where i hear its just gorgeous!
If ya there around that time, let’s collaborate! I’m going to do some research on some sites. Castles, Cliffs and Corned Beef. ;)
Ciao

I contacted UAII about flying my M2Z in Ireland as a tourist. You can read their reply; the gist of which is I can fly without registering but only to 15m AGL. It only costs 5 Euro to register and then the sky is the limit up to 150m, except for Airports and the surrounding zones. The email contains a link to the registration page and the UAII asset management page.
"Even though the Mavic 2 is under the mandatory 1kg registration, unless its registered, you are limited to 15m AGL. That goes for Class C and G airspace. If registered, you can fly to 120m AGL and 300m horizontally in Class G, but are still restricted to 15m AGL in Class C, excluding NFZ's. There is an Airspace map at URL below, and i've included the link to Asset to register if you want to, its a €5 charge. If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know."
Airspace Map | UAAI - Unmanned Aircraft Association of Ireland
https://www.asset-international.com/asset/account/login.jsf

Also, the registration form requires a serial number. I'm thinking that the number inside the battery compartment: 0M6DF9M-00145JY is my serial number.
I notice that the Mavic 2 Zoom is listed as: Model L1Z
One other question on the form asks for the MACI number (Model Aeronautics Council of Ireland). Anybody know what the MACI number is for my M2Z?
thanks to all

Contact the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) and ask them - that is what I do before I travel anywhere abroad and I have always found those agencies to be very responsive, informative, and appreciative of my desire to follow local laws - even in Slovakia, Croatia, etc. You will get far more accurate information and in far less time from them than going off personal experiences of forum users. Sounds like you already have their info, I don't know why you wouldn't just contact them?

Having just come back from Scotland which is a very similar climate, especially around the cliffs, the extreme winds made it impossible to fly in most of the places I wanted to. Gorgeous scenery through.

So I’m currently visiting Ireland and hoping to fly my drone around the cliffs of Moher and the Giants Causeway. Does anyone know of a legal take off point around the area that i can fly from? I’m also curious if anyone has experience of flying their drones there more recently

I'm going in June, not to either of those locations, but, I did learn you need an Irish drone license. I got one already; only costs 5 Euro. Same kind of regulations as in the US; no flying around airports, stay away from people, etc.
-----------------------
So I’m currently visiting Ireland and hoping to fly my drone around the cliffs of Moher and the Giants Causeway. Does anyone know of a legal take off point around the area that i can fly from? I’m also curious if anyone has experience of flying their drones there more recently

I'm going in June, not to either of those locations, but, I did learn you need an Irish drone license. I got one already; only costs 5 Euro. Same kind of regulations as in the US; no flying around airports, stay away from people, etc.
-----------------------

Thanks, I ordered the drone license from the IAA and even received their sticker just before my trip. I guess I’ll just stick with common sense.

So I just left the Cliffs of Moher about 10 mins ago and into the WiFi of the touring bus. Unfortunately it was a crazy windy day (yellow condition) enough to blow you back from where you stand, so obviously there is no chance for drone flying. I saw the one “no-drone zone” sign towards the hike up the visitors paved path. 69313
However if you take the trail to the left about 700 ft up the trail there is a sign that states it is beyond the Heritage Sites domain and to proceed with caution (forgot to take a picture of the sign).
So you can probably fly your drone (in favorable winds), without anyone saying anything as it is not monitored.

I’ve also went down to the ferry for a ride around the Cliffs of Moher and they were saying quite a few people fly their drones off the boat.

Hope that helps anyone who visits the Cliffs of Moher.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid