DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone gaining altitude on it's own

I think I've figured out what's happening. First off I was in BYPASS. If I set to STOP it doesn't happen. So it's definitely the sensors seeing something and raising drone to avoid what it's seeing. Now for what it's seeing. I fly over water 99% of the time. This happens as soon as I take off from land and go over water.I think the water is doing something to make the drone think there is an issue with sensor. In the old app and drones you could and I always would SHUT OFF the vision sensors which was always recommended for flying over water. Can't do it in the fly app. As for the GPS I haven't solved that yet.

I think I've figured out what's happening. First off I was in BYPASS. If I set to STOP it doesn't happen. So it's definitely the sensors seeing something and raising drone to avoid what it's seeing. Now for what it's seeing. I fly over water 99% of the time. This happens as soon as I take off from land and go over water.I think the water is doing something to make the drone think there is an issue with sensor. In the old app and drones you could and I always would SHUT OFF the vision sensors which was always recommended for flying over water. Can't do it in the fly app. As for the GPS I haven't solved that yet.
I have had it happen over land before I even got to the Water , so the sensors are just Hyper , and I constantly have to watch I have mine set to hover and it still happens. All we can do is hope the Update fixes the Lemon Squeeze.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 In the Rain > Land on the Water.

I’ve had the same problem. If you turn off bypass it flies great. Just sent mine back to DJI. After wasting time with support on phone. Hopefully they will fix and send back soon.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I had this issue on most of my 15 flights with the Mavic 3.

I have only been using the Mavic 3 Cine since it arrived, and did not have this issue at all in almost 60 flights - until yesterday. I will be watching closely for the next few flights and will try to remember turning off Bypass if it happens again.

Certainly something I can test out , It happens to many times for it to be just Coincidence .
I will post my results , should be interesting .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Mine does the same, though I need at least decent GPS numbers first. Anyone have moments in flight, where sticks do nothing, particularly after a speed mode switch or changing photo/Focus Track/Video modes? Completely unresponsive. Wait a few seconds and it's like "oh, sorry... must have dozed off there for a min"

This is the buggiest DJI product I've had, and I've had a bunch. I find it odd there are no interim fixes or hotfix updates, coming on a regular basis. Why on earth are they planning these massive updates, since that's almost certainly going to shake more bugs out of the hardware when it hasn't had wide beta release. It's not a good experience for folks that really took a hit to buy this, then have nothing outside 2 updates at long intervals. I ponied up thinking that fixes would at least be coming fast and furious. They aren't fast and the only thing furious are customers in a long holding pattern.

Last edited:
The best thing you can do is report all problems you experience to DJI, even if you think others already have. The more detail, the better.

This is a timeless guide to reporting software bugs, but the general concepts are applicable to many types of trouble reporting:

That’s why DJI received mine today. So they can see for themselves what it’s doing. I have sent several screencaptures they wanted more information so I sent them the drone. I will post back when I get it back or they report something to me. My lower led had a short in it so it had to go in to repair anyway.

The best thing you can do is report all problems you experience to DJI, even if you think others already have. The more detail, the better.

This is a timeless guide to reporting software bugs, but the general concepts are applicable to many types of trouble reporting:

I agree completely. And I don't mind providing detailed bug reports. What I do mind is the inevitable low skill representative asking me absolutely illogical, unrelated and in many cases outright ridiculous questions. My favorite line is along these lines: "I have asked engineering about this... (a direct conversation with engineering is the holy grail, but of course they can't have the great unwashed communicating directly with the brain trust! - it's actually really unproductive, I'm just riffing... humor me. "Engineering says they will a) fix this in a future update if a fix is needed b)make this available in future update if there is a plan to do so. c) change this in a future update if a change is required. d) Whistle zippity doo-da out their hind end if someone can hum a few bars. I do agree with you I work in IT and have managed bugs from multiple perspectives. I'm just exhausted trying to figure out DJI's escalation counts.

" hitting the brakes in clear air " Those are the ghosts I am talking about , There is a problem with the GPS sats and it not anything to do with Constellation , its a wide spread problem on every forum for the M3 except those that dont know any better being that its there first drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

" hitting the brakes in clear air " Those are the ghosts I am talking about , There is a problem with the GPS sats and it not anything to do with Constellation , its a wide spread problem on every forum for the M3 except those that dont know any better being that its there first drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.
Recalibrate vision sensors using desktop or laptop .
"Brakes in clear air" will not happen

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura