DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone "hunting" for marine wildlife!

barney00

Reactions
Hi all-
A new Facebook group has been started in hopes of bringing drone pilots and marine scientists together to help learn more about marine wildlife like sea turtles, smalltooth sawfish, marine mammals, sharks, rays, etc. Many of these species are threatened and endangered In most cases, they are logistically very difficult to study. So how can drone pilots help?
Drone footage taken in coastal areas can document presence/absence of these species, unusual or spawning behavior, and illustrate what habitats they are utilizing. This will help provide information on regional population sizes and potential habitat threats. For instance, a sawfish observation is reported by an angler to researchers; the researchers can then post a BOLO to the Facebook group and ask for pilots in the area to go an see if the animal is still around the area.
Marine scientists are very eager to learn more about drones and interact with current pilots.
Anyway, if you are curious and would like assist conservation efforts using your drones, please check out the Facebook group:
MARINE WILDLIFE AERIAL SURVEYS
Security Check Required
We hope you will join up, help scan the waters, and post cool video clips of marine critters!
Cheers,
Mike

Stuff like this is what is going to get the public on the side of drone drivers, and that is what we need most. If the complaints are louder than the praise, the complainers will win. I wish I was on the coast to do this and seek publicity for it.
Secondly, it may get some drone drivers permission to fly in places that would otherwise be off limits to drones. This is how we expand the hobby/vocation.

Reactions: barney00
Interesting. There are some rules about flying close to marine animals, whales and dolphins, that I've read about. In Australia at least. Don't remember where I read it, but I think there's a 30m exclusion zone. Unless we've got permits.

There may indeed be restrictions drone pilots should be aware of, particularly marine mammals. In the U.S., the Marine Mammal Protection Act is the legislation at play. Guidance recommends keeping a distance of 1,000 feet from whales, etc. This is not so much an issue for sawfish and sea turtles, protected in the U.S. by the Endangered Species Act. Scientific studies posted on the Facebook page of the group document sound levels generated by drones don't reach a response level in sea turtles; the same us likely for sawfish as indicated by sawfish scientists.
In any case, great questions that can be discussed in detail with experts on the Marine Wildlife Aerial Surveys Facebook page. I'll post some info on this subject. Hope you all will consider joining...

Interesting. There are some rules about flying close to marine animals, whales and dolphins, that I've read about. In Australia at least. Don't remember where I read it, but I think there's a 30m exclusion zone. Unless we've got permits.
Nobody knows more about getting permits than Researchers do. They will respect the animals they are studying. And if they don't, it is up to the drone pilot to respect them. This is all about getting good press while helping out with some research. A win, win as they say.

Am a scalloper I will see how I can help I have always seen sharks, whales, dolphins, turtles,, sadly I don’t have Facebook

I have some good footage of dolphins in the gulf. I seen the fins out a ways took advantage of the opportunity.

I know there are some NOAA restricted flight areas, but outside of those this seems like a great opportunity for the researchers and the drone community. I’m in Virginia Beach, so I’ll see if they need any help out here.

Edit: this is the excuse I’ll use to get the polarized filters I’ve been eyeing...

Reactions: Lopez0015
I know there are some NOAA restricted flight areas, but outside of those this seems like a great opportunity for the researchers and the drone community. I’m in Virginia Beach, so I’ll see if they need any help out here.

Edit: this is the excuse I’ll use to get the polarized filters I’ve been eyeing...

Hi am from Newport News great places to fly over water

Reactions: Abuskeletor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne