DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mad Mavic

Reactions
After three days of rain I'm getting prepped to retrieve my drone from 60 feet up in a tree. Since climbing the tree is out of the question and not accessible with any equipment, my only recourse is to try grappling. Therefore I've got myself a sling shot, 20 pound test fishing line, and led weight with wire eyelets with which to attach the line. My hope is to launch the lead weight over the top of the drone, and have the lead weight hit the ground. At that point, tie on a small section of wire mesh to snag the drone. and if all goes well, have assistants at the ready with a large blanket to catch the drone.

one thing I've noticed about the drone being positioned in a tree at such a high elevation is that its almost impossible to detect; especially not that autumn is closing in and the leaves are still thick and multicolored. Therefore I make this suggestion should anyone find themselves in a similar situation. In hind sight, I wish I would have had the foresight to map out the drones exact location while the strobes were still illuminated.

The ideal thing I feel that would have helped me relocate my drone the next day, would have been to attach something such a drinking straw or straight stick to "point" directly at the drone. The reason I say this is that over the course of the last three days, I spent several hours searching for my drone. Once I found it, I made a mental picture of its location in reference to the tree limbs, only to return between rain showers to discover that the drone wasn't as easy to relocate as I first imagined, simply using memory. Again I searched for what seemed an hour then if finally appeared. The second time I made a point to stand in a specific spot, create a point of reference; again using the tree's branches for reference. For example, one foot to the right of one branch's feature such as a bend, and one foot below another branch's feature. Surely I thought this was a sure way to locate the drone when the rain finally stopped and I could have all the gear collected...not.

Back to the pointing device. As I mentioned, it may seem easy to relocate your drone when the LED's are flashing but I found that even with high resolution binoculars, nature's ability to camouflage objects in the wild is amazingly effective.

Heading out now with slingshot in hand. If possible, I'll attempt to take a zoomed in photo of the drones location to reveal just how hidden it is among the multicolored foliage. Also, if this crazy idea works, I'll try to offer some feedback on what did, and didn't work.

Reactions: charliesRig
Tree climbers are in a league of their own. Doubtful you have a tree that can’t be invaded. Call one of the local tree cutting companies and find one of them that wants to make a few extra $$$ on a Saturday. Problem solved. I have a friend that has retrieved several. One of which was at the 80 foot mark.

Since I once had exactly the same issue as you I use a beeping key finder attached to the drone for close up location. Even works when the drone is out of power.

Luckily my drone could be reached by a 30m cherrypicker which was on its way to work.

General location can usually be found with the last GPS coordinates from DJI Go4.

Reactions: Jalatta
Lady Rover has a good idea and I wish I would have used a key finder on my Hubsan, perhaps I could have found it.
Can't remember what these small tags are called off hand but had one for my dog. Unfortunately I lost the tag, should have tagged that.

Reactions: JDawg
Some have made make shift poles out of lengths of PVC pipes and connectors. Add sections as needed, poke the Mavic down, then uncouple the pipes for next time.

and have a couple or more friends under the tree with a big tarp to catch it as it falls

Avoid trees;)
...you can't fix stupid

Although I like to follow this escapade, it would be interesting to know the flight log as to how you managed to NOT miss a 60ft + lump of wood with foliage falling off it.

After three days of rain I'm getting prepped to retrieve my drone from 60 feet up in a tree. Since climbing the tree is out of the question and not accessible with any equipment, my only recourse is to try grappling. Therefore I've got myself a sling shot, 20 pound test fishing line, and led weight with wire eyelets with which to attach the line. My hope is to launch the lead weight over the top of the drone, and have the lead weight hit the ground. At that point, tie on a small section of wire mesh to snag the drone. and if all goes well, have assistants at the ready with a large blanket to catch the drone.

That could work or you could hire this guy.

Dropbox - Cowboy.mp4

Let us know how you make out. I've been there, done that. $100 tree service, multiple cops, A-hole neighbor & about 2hrs of misery. Don't ask. Good luck

one thing I've noticed about the drone being positioned in a tree at such a high elevation is that its almost impossible to detect; especially not that autumn is closing in and the leaves are still thick and multicolored. Therefore I make this suggestion should anyone find themselves in a similar situation. In hind sight, I wish I would have had the foresight to map out the drones exact location while the strobes were still illuminated.

The ideal thing I feel that would have helped me relocate my drone the next day, would have been to attach something such a drinking straw or straight stick to "point" directly at the drone. The reason I say this is that over the course of the last three days, I spent several hours searching for my drone. Once I found it, I made a mental picture of its location in reference to the tree limbs, only to return between rain showers to discover that the drone wasn't as easy to relocate as I first imagined, simply using memory. Again I searched for what seemed an hour then if finally appeared. The second time I made a point to stand in a specific spot, create a point of reference; again using the tree's branches for reference. For example, one foot to the right of one branch's feature such as a bend, and one foot below another branch's feature. Surely I thought this was a sure way to locate the drone when the rain finally stopped and I could have all the gear collected...not.

Back to the pointing device. As I mentioned, it may seem easy to relocate your drone when the LED's are flashing but I found that even with high resolution binoculars, nature's ability to camouflage objects in the wild is amazingly effective.

Heading out now with slingshot in hand. If possible, I'll attempt to take a zoomed in photo of the drones location to reveal just how hidden it is among the multicolored foliage. Also, if this crazy idea works, I'll try to offer some feedback on what did, and didn't work.

I had to call a buddy with a bucket truck but 60 feet is tough. I may consider a tree surgeon also.

Success! A small coil of 20 pound test fishing between my vantage point and the tree, a cheap Walmart slingshot, and a teardrop fishing weight with a wire eyelet and a pair of binoculars.

After about thirty minutes of searching, I finally located the MPP which blended in like a clump of grey leaves.

After about 20 shots from the slingshot, I landed the lead weight on the perfect limb. Then after some intense yanking and pulling, down it came. I couldn't provoke my teenagers to brave the cold and hold a blanket to cushion the fall so I lost both front legs.

As on poster o eloquently put it, "you cant fix stupid", and I guess I have to agree. I took off from a church parking lot high upon a hill, In fact the name of the church is just that "Church On The Hill", My stupidity comes from the fact that my return to home 30 meters . The parking lot is 328.3 ASL and crash site 337.5 ASL. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the tree was 20 meters high. That put me nipping the top few inches or more of the 20 meter high tree.

My RTH altitude has always been set at 150meters AGL, but I had recently done a factory reset, which set the RTH to only 30 meters AGL. Perspective came into play as well due to the climb to the church I "assumed it to be much higher than my property, which is where I crashed.

This is my 4th Mavic. I suppose I've got some 50 crashes logged thus far, and replaced just about every part on the things. They are tougher that what you might think, at least in some respects. For example, it rained on it for three days straight, and broke off the two front legs, yet I dried him off and took a flight out a couple miles and back, and the RTH worked flawlessly at my new setting of meters LOL… still a little gun shy
Got the replacement parts ordered off Ebay today so maybe by this time next week I can fly that rout ahain manually to see just how far I was below the tree tops.

Fly high and fly often

"Only TWENTY tries for a Drone SIXTY FEET up in a tree, with a SLINGSHOT????"
Man, oh Man! Folks we are blessed with a Member who is the indisputable William Tell of Drone Flyers!
That is SOME shooting, Mister. Congrats.
Rgds, NAVMAV.

Reactions: WAXMAN
You gone through 4 mav's 50 crashes........

. I thought was the king of mavic Pro basher
I'm still on my first Mavic and I've put it through Hell 19 month i have spit out the Gimble/Camera diconected 1 compass and Busted several Blades No Broken legs I'm just a piker
You've got to be the mavic crash king .
How long you been flying Mavic's.?
what firmware are you running.?
using Go4 app.?
..cR

You gone through 4 mav's 50 crashes........

. I thought was the king of mavic Pro basher
I'm still on my first Mavic and I've put it through **** 19 month i have spit out the Gimble/Camera diconected 1 compass and Busted several Blades No Broken legs I'm just a piker
You've got to be the mavic crash king .
How long you been flying Mavic's.?
what firmware are you running.?
using Go4 app.?
..cR
Just been flying one year but the stats are 153 miles with the farthest from home flight of a little over 8500 feet. I like pushing the limits such as landing remotely as far from takeoff as possible, have someone change the battery and fly back. I use the DJI goggles. The difference for me is watching the drone fly, or being inside the drone; the goggles are amazing.

I’ve made several flights through the woods near my home with the goggles on it’s a weird sensation seeing the view of the trail but hearing my surrounds.

I always take my drone when I travel. My last trip was to Houston Texas where I flew above a 65 story building and shot some incredible video.

I ride a Harley Ultra. The motto is “ride it like you stole it” I guess that goes the same for my drones.

My favorite flights are taking off from high foothills here in Tennessee and stretching the distance. It seems each flight has a new learning curve.

Fly high and fly often

Avoid trees;)
...you can't fix stupid

Although I like to follow this escapade, it would be interesting to know the flight log as to how you managed to NOT miss a 60ft + lump of wood with foliage falling off it.

****ALERT EVERYONE: I have located the perfect, infallible person! ***** We should be ever grateful to be in the presence of such perfection.

On another note:

@Mad Mavic glad you got it back!

I read your from Tennessee .?
I was there once Oakridge/knoxsville just before the 82 worlds Fair
Visting my GF.... we were young..
I had drove cross country to see her
Be for she had passed
in a 63 Chevy panel truck.

Beautiful county and the most

kindest/friendliest people I ever have meet .
People would go out of there way if they felt you needed there help...
Long story short.
How I got Into the "Drone hobby "
There I saw two guy flying RC gas helicopter.
I watch as they made those machines Dance inverted..

I remember that trip like it was yesterday 38 yrs ago (1981) and can say.....
Because of that trip to Tennessee
..........I have
RC helicopters /Drones
cR

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member