DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone insurance

davshev

Reactions
I've seen several mentions of State Farm's personal articles policy for about $60. per year. I've also read that some have found that once they make a claim, State Farm doesn't want to continue with coverage. Still, for a one time loss it seems it might be worth it. I've checked with my own insurance company, and although they would cover it like any other property, i.e fire, theft, liability if it damages property, etc., they don't cover accidental damage or loss of the drone itself. Many of the other drone insurance policies out there seem to cover liability, but at a higher cost than the State Farm. I know about DJI care, but that won't cover me if I lose the drone or if it sinks to the bottom of a lake. Does anyone know of other policies like State Farm's that cover just the loss of the drone, without all of the expensive liability I have through my home owner's?

I've seen several mentions of State Farm's personal articles policy for about $60. per year. I've also read that some have found that once they make a claim, State Farm doesn't want to continue with coverage. Still, for a one time loss it seems it might be worth it. I've checked with my own insurance company, and although they would cover it like any other property, i.e fire, theft, liability if it damages property, etc., they don't cover accidental damage or loss of the drone itself. Many of the other drone insurance policies out there seem to cover liability, but at a higher cost than the State Farm. I know about DJI care, but that won't cover me if I lose the drone or if it sinks to the bottom of a lake. Does anyone know of other policies like State Farm's that cover just the loss of the drone, without all of the expensive liability I have through my home owner's?
State Farm is the only one I have heard of, and even that is hit-and-miss as to whether or not a particular rep will cover you, or if they will cover you without having other policies with them, or knowing what will happen after a claim. I called three offices and then gave up. One gave me a yes, then within an hour thereafter said no. They were also the first company in town I went to for home insurance and I was refused, so that soured me on SF as a company anyway.

State Farm is the only one I have heard of, and even that is hit-and-miss as to whether or not a particular rep will cover you, or if they will cover you without having other policies with them, or knowing what will happen after a claim. I called three offices and then gave up. One gave me a yes, then within an hour thereafter said no. They were also the first company in town I went to for home insurance and I was refused, so that soured me on SF as a company anyway.

What state are you in?

Funny you mention North Carolina coverage with State Farm
Just this week I called my agent for drone coverage - the mistake I made was telling them I had a part 107 FAA certificate ( therefore commercial use- as well as recreational )
Should have left out the part 107 as the return call from them told me they do not cover commercial use of drone. They would have covered rec use.
Thus week I will call back and ask for rev use only to see what happens.
Not that rec pilots are less responsible ( no slight intended at all ) but you would think an insurance company would be happier covering a certified pilot first. Makes no sense

Funny you mention North Carolina coverage with State Farm
Just this week I called my agent for drone coverage - the mistake I made was telling them I had a part 107 FAA certificate ( therefore commercial use- as well as recreational )
Should have left out the part 107 as the return call from them told me they do not cover commercial use of drone. They would have covered rec use.
Thus week I will call back and ask for rev use only to see what happens.
Not that rec pilots are less responsible ( no slight intended at all ) but you would think an insurance company would be happier covering a certified pilot first. Makes no sense

Good to know. Though, I'm a solely a recreational pilot anyway.

State Farm is the best way to go for personal use. I have the coverage, do not have any other policies with SF and had a claim shortly after starting the policy. They did not cancel my coverage. When I replaced my drone, I contacted my agent and added the replacement drone onto the policy. Since then, my policy has renewed with out increase premium, and my homeowners policy has renewed without increase as well. I've never really understood people complaining that SF cancelled their policy after a loss anyways. You have a policy for $60, you filed a claim that paid for your replacement of the drone. Even if they dropped you after, at the very least you were protected after the one loss. So the alternative is to not get SF coverage because they MIGHT drop the policy after the first loss, then you have no coverage, have a loss and are not covered at all?? I just don't understand the thought process on this. If the coverage is available to you, it is by far the best option that I have found.

I got State Farm in NY no problem. A friend also got it but it took him 2 attempts at finding an agent.

I bought hull insurance thru SF in Texas for $75, and liability insurance (up to $2.5 mill) thru AMA for the same amount. It's included with membership, which also gives me a discount at affiliated hobby shops. I hope the liability ins. is international, but I'm not sure.

I bought hull insurance thru SF in Texas for $75, and liability insurance (up to $2.5 mill) thru AMA for the same amount. It's included with membership, which also gives me a discount at affiliated hobby shops. I hope the liability ins. is international, but I'm not sure.
I have AMA also and called the company they recommended for commercial use. I was quoted $400/yr for $500k liability and $500 for $1 million.

I have the StateFarm policy for $60, but have you all not seen the new Farmers commercial about insuring drones? At least I think that's what the commercial is all about.

I have the StateFarm policy for $60, but have you all not seen the new Farmers commercial about insuring drones? At least I think that's what the commercial is all about.
I just watched a commercial on Youtube and if it's the same one, the drone hit the car. I think they were referring to the car owner making a claim. I could be wrong though.

I just watched a commercial on Youtube and if it's the same one, the drone hit the car. I think they were referring to the car owner making a claim. I could be wrong though.
Yeah that one...I couldn't tell what they were trying to sell.

Keep in mind the $60 State Farm Personal Articles Policy does not have any liability coverage. They only cover replacement of the drone itself if damaged or lost. That is why it’s so cheap. Liability would come from a homeowners or renters and potentially an umbrella policy if your underlying policy limits are high enough and the claim is big enough. So, if your drone falls out of the sky and hits something, this State Farm policy only covers the drone itself, you would still be liable for any damage it does to another party, whether injury or damaged property. This is where your homeowners/renters/umbrella policies will kick in. I am a part-time insurance agent and get this question quite a bit.

Keep in mind the $60 State Farm Personal Articles Policy does not have any liability coverage. They only cover replacement of the drone itself if damaged or lost. That is why it’s so cheap. Liability would come from a homeowners or renters and potentially an umbrella policy if your underlying policy limits are high enough and the claim is big enough. So, if your drone falls out of the sky and hits something, this State Farm policy only covers the drone itself, you would still be liable for any damage it does to another party, whether injury or damaged property. This is where your homeowners/renters/umbrella policies will kick in. I am a part-time insurance agent and get this question quite a bit.
Unless you're flying for a business, then you would need a separate liability policy. I'm going with State Farm for the PAP and an AMA affiliate agency for liability once I get my 107 license.

Reactions: Former Member
Unless you're flying for a business, then you would need a separate liability policy. I'm going with State Farm for the PAP and an AMA affiliate agency for liability once I get my 107 license.
But, neither of these policies will cover you or your drone if you are flying a 107 flight. These policies are only covering personal use, not commercial use.

State Farm said they would not cover me because I have a 107. They said that makes the drone like a commercial vehicle. Even if you’re not using it commercially, it’s still a commercial vehicle, and the recreational use wouldn’t change that. I have my cars and house with SF, and that didn’t change things. The drone registration numbers are commercial.

There are a couple endorsements to both homeowners and auto policies that will cover some commercial uses on personal policies. None of them apply to drones. Insurance companies see drones as “camera equipment” which is why the Personal Article Policy can be placed on them. Also, not that the company would probably ever find out, but concealing your 107 could cause the policy to be terminated and claims be denied if they company caught wind of it at any time.

State Farm said they would not cover me because I have a 107. They said that makes the drone like a commercial vehicle. Even if you’re not using it commercially, it’s still a commercial vehicle, and the recreational use wouldn’t change that. I have my cars and house with SF, and that didn’t change things. The drone registration numbers are commercial.
I would contest this a little. If you have a 107, any drone that you fly under 107 must be registered. If you have a drone that you only fly for hobby, you do not have to register that drone as a 107. It would be the same as owning a commercial business with commercial vehicles, but also owning a personal vehicle. If you register that vehicle as personal, it has nothing to do with the business or the business insurance coverage/risk.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77