DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone intentionally tried to damage power grid

How stupid - anyone with a brain knows you use the drone to carry a nylon string over a intertie line - just below the impedance matching ground wire, and use the string to pull a dacron rope over, then use the rope to pull a logging chain with your SUV.

How stupid - anyone with a brain knows you use the drone to carry a nylon string over a intertie line - just below the impedance matching ground wire, and use the string to pull a dacron rope over, then use the rope to pull a logging chain with your SUV.
Interesting. I’m notating that. Lol. Godspeed, Droniac.

Interesting. I’m notating that. Lol. Godspeed, Droniac.
Worked for a guy in 1973 that liked to go on about how to do serious damage to power and other major infrastructure. He loved Nixon, and went catatonic when he was impeached.

• Haha
Reactions: Droniac
No sense making it political because there are nutcases out there with a host of different political opinions who might try this including an idiot just pulling a stunt for a youtube video. Maybe the drone operator had his power shut off for not paying a bill. Who knows. What makes me laugh is how this particular news article hyped the incident. At least they made it clear they have never seen this before. As far as causing power outages using a drone, yes it can be done, but the person would have to have some knowledge about how things work in the electrical utility industry to be highly effective. There are a other ways to raise havoc inside a substation or molesting a power line besides using drones. Heck, trees, birds and mylar balloons cause hundreds of distribution outages every day throughout the US. But I do think this was intentional, however the reason why is just speculation.

Reactions: Droniac and AZDave
No sense making it political because there are nutcases out there with a host of different political opinions who might try this including an idiot just pulling a stunt for a youtube video. Maybe the drone operator had his power shut off for not paying a bill. Who knows. What makes me laugh is how this particular news article hyped the incident. At least they made it clear they have never seen this before. As far as causing power outages using a drone, yes it can be done, but the person would have to have some knowledge about how things work in the electrical utility industry to be highly effective. There are a other ways to raise havoc inside a substation or molesting a power line besides using drones. Heck, trees, birds and mylar balloons cause hundreds of distribution outages every day throughout the US. But I do think this was intentional, however the reason why is just speculation.

Definitely this. The pictures show clearly an intention to short a line, but as you say there are a great many possible reasons why some miscreant might decide to try this.

To be honest, this sort of thing doesn't scare me very much. Shorting a substation line even if successful is not going to have a huge impact on very many people. Transformers get replaced, lines get repaired, and critical operations like hospitals have backup generators capable of bridging the time it takes to do those things.

What scares me more is the possibility that some urban terrorist could use a drone to drop a concentrated poison or biological agent into a water reservoir. Or drop a cannister of sarin into a football stadium. Fences and security guards aren't going to stop that from happening.

I loved the "stock" pic of the drone in the article. I'd like to own one - is DJI / Autel / HolyStone going to make a "Predator" clone anytime soon? Better start building my airfield now....

Title makes it seem the drone was alive and did it on its own. Should read “Drone operator tried to damage power grid”.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leroyman