DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone laws country per country (150)

paulrawlingson

Reactions
Hi guys,

I just landed in Sydney and must say I'm already loving it all over again.
Nevertheless I was hoping to get local feedback as I've been spending the last few months looking at 150+ countries' drone laws (I travel a lot) and get your thoughts on some that you might have been to? I understand Australia is changing soon as well which is very interesting to follow while being onsite.

Here's the map; if you click on a country, you will find the full link to the post - cheers!

How long are you here for Paul ?
The changes coming here for rec pilots is a fair way off, until then you may be prompted to do the DJI quiz on Go4, or maybe not.
It's fairly easy following the rules to fly on the CASA website.

The 'Can I Fly There' app will give you most no fly areas form CASAs POV, and special temp bans over emergencies / fires etc where other aircraft may be operating low..

The other things to watch here are bans from taking off or landing on various authorities tenure.
All states National Parks except for Queensland and Western Australia are in that group . . . some parks if remote you could get permission to fly from local office / rangers . . . a brief flight, showing our concern for safety, other park users, wildlife etc should see the ok there.
Some states are very difficult, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania inc . . .

The other main group as above are many local councils around the country banning use in their parks, which is the take off / landing thing again.
Sometimes you can work out an overfly ok, but CASA require VLOS, so it isn't always possible.

Enjoy your trip here, where are you from ?

Reactions: paulrawlingson
A bit like knife and gun laws, one country its OK to carry but in another its jail time.

I was watching a boarder patrol documentary and a man in a camper van going from America to Canada who had two guns, no problem with the guns but he got arrested because they found a knuckle duster in the back of the van.

The law is a strange thing.

How long are you here for Paul ?
The changes coming here for rec pilots is a fair way off, until then you may be prompted to do the DJI quiz on Go4, or maybe not.
It's fairly easy following the rules to fly on the CASA website.

The 'Can I Fly There' app will give you most no fly areas form CASAs POV, and special temp bans over emergencies / fires etc where other aircraft may be operating low..

The other things to watch here are bans from taking off or landing on various authorities tenure.
All states National Parks except for Queensland and Western Australia are in that group . . . some parks if remote you could get permission to fly from local office / rangers . . . a brief flight, showing our concern for safety, other park users, wildlife etc should see the ok there.
Some states are very difficult, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania inc . . .

The other main group as above are many local councils around the country banning use in their parks, which is the take off / landing thing again.
Sometimes you can work out an overfly ok, but CASA require VLOS, so it isn't always possible.

Enjoy your trip here, where are you from ?
Hey man, thanks for your feedback.

So far there is no return date as I'm feeling really well here in Bondi Beach. I looked at the National Parks and did a post per state here as well as it seemed quite complex.. I'm unsure where I can find the info per council tho, would you be available to help?
I'm actually from NZ but work/travelled most of my life. I just returned last week from a 3 years period for HotelsCombined.

No worries Paul.
A bit of feedback on the states info.

#1 Drone Complier is no longer the app to use here, they had a contract I think with CASA early on to supply NFZ info, but now the 'Can I Fly There' app is the one to use.
I was a big fan of Drone Complier early on, but it became terribly unstable, think they are more into their commercial side of their own applications now, but haven't bothered with it or checked it for a year or so..

#2 In the Tasmania section, you inadvertently left the title to national parks section as
Flying a drone in VIC national parks & marine reserves

As far as I am aware, drones are banned in Tasmanian National Parks (as well as Victorias).
Parks & Wildlife Service - Drones

#3 In Queensland, you CAN fly in National Parks to CASA rules (always has been like this in QLD), plus not annoying other park users or animals.

#4 New South Wales, interesting, until I just double checked, it used to be banned without direct approval from local Rangers.
Seems a bit more relaxed now Drones in NSW parks . . . still, a bit painful to have to get permissions for each flight, many parks are unmanned, offices for smaller parks can be in regional centres a great distance away, and hard to get in direct contact.

In regards to local councils ?

A real problem child this one in Australia . . . there are 537 of them as far as I am aware.
Each can have its own BYLAWS (or BYELAWS as I recently learned it can be spelled in some countries).

We HARDLY EVER see signs at parks and other council administered areas of land, but many councils ban drone operation in their parks, and this is generally interpreted as take off or landing in the park, you can overfly.

Suggest you could fly sensibly in most places to CASA rules, if a council Ranger or member approached and advise it's against their bylaws to fly a drone in a place, you land immediately, apologise, plead ignorance / insanity / other, and leave . . . hopefully without a fine.

You can generally find info by googling like this . . . City of * drone bylaw
But some are buried deep within their websites, or not posted publicly at all !!

A few examples, my local council here in South Australia > Onkaparinga Council (pdf download see 9.23 page 8) and and ABC News article
City of Brisbane (QLD) some of these parks I have visited are very limited.

There's an Australian Local Government Association, and also state based associations.
There is definitely a tie up in council bylaw terminology in states, and I think they all use some sort of 'form letter' bylaw drafted by their association, if they feel the need / desire to apply bans etc.
Most large councils will have something in their bylaws about drones (and other models), smaller or regional ones possibly not.

I found an interesting article by IALPG (International Aerospace Law & Policy Group) regarding these bylaws and their legality . . .
It Could be Time to Say Bye to Drone By-laws
So if they have any influence over council policy, there might be a reversal of outright bans some day, especially if some legal challenges are presented as they arise.

All the best for your travels here, if you get to Adelaide and I'm here, we can probably get a day out and fly for south coast of the Fleurieu Peninsula, some very nice coast down there.

Here in WA it used to be banned to fly in National Parks but this is now0 changed. So long as you comply with CASA and dont annoy people or animals you are good to go. With local councils many have Bylaws but the legity of these is questionable. My local council was advised by their legal depzrtment that they did not have the power to ban us.

Just had a look at the judgement in the NT case refered to above. Just makes the waters even mord muddied than they were abd cerfainly does not give any comfort to UAV operators.

Just had a look at the judgement in the NT case refered to above. Just makes the waters even mord muddied than they were abd cerfainly does not give any comfort to UAV operators.

Yes, all settled a couple of months ago.
http://eresources.hcourt.gov.au/downloadPdf/2019/HCA/2

Conclusion and orders
The CA Act in relevant respects is designed to operate within the framework of other State, Territory and Commonwealth laws. The NT WHS Act is one such law. And it has not been suggested that the CA Act contains an implicit negative proposition that it is to be the only law with respect to some particular aspect or aspects of the embarkation of passengers. It cannot be said that the CA Act contains an implicit negative proposition that it is to be the only law with respect to the safety of persons who might be affected by operations associated with aircraft, including the embarkation of passengers. The appeal should be allowed with costs, the orders of the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory set aside and in lieu thereof it be ordered that the appeal to that Court be dismissed with costs.

So the appeal by the ballooning company against the NT workplace safety authority prosecution was thrown out.
Not sure what the original penalty was, but I imagine both sides costs to pay would probably be very high indeed.

Ah, the prosecution is open to proceed now . . . Ballooning company open to charges over woman's death after court ruling

Just realised that Australia is basically 8 countries forced to work together, and they all hate each other.

I have lived here in Australia all of my life and strongly disagree with your statement. It's more a case of the states and territories competing with each other for their slices of the Federal government's Tax revenue pie.

There's no Hate involved but we do have some fun with competitive banter based on sports such as football and cricket. Compared to a lot of other countries, generally speaking, we're very laid back. Where are you based, DrPhilGood?

I thought it was just a troll post as it was too ridiculous to consider seriously.
Agree. I to have lived here for most of my 74 years.

Born and bought up in Victotia.
Spent my early 20s in NT
Back to Vic for uni
25 years in Qld
4 years in NSW
4 years in Uk
The to WA where I am now retired.
Have no state affilations, just Australia.

No worries Paul.
A bit of feedback on the states info.

#1 Drone Complier is no longer the app to use here, they had a contract I think with CASA early on to supply NFZ info, but now the 'Can I Fly There' app is the one to use.
I was a big fan of Drone Complier early on, but it became terribly unstable, think they are more into their commercial side of their own applications now, but haven't bothered with it or checked it for a year or so..

#2 In the Tasmania section, you inadvertently left the title to national parks section as
Flying a drone in VIC national parks & marine reserves

As far as I am aware, drones are banned in Tasmanian National Parks (as well as Victorias).
Parks & Wildlife Service - Drones

#3 In Queensland, you CAN fly in National Parks to CASA rules (always has been like this in QLD), plus not annoying other park users or animals.

#4 New South Wales, interesting, until I just double checked, it used to be banned without direct approval from local Rangers.
Seems a bit more relaxed now Drones in NSW parks . . . still, a bit painful to have to get permissions for each flight, many parks are unmanned, offices for smaller parks can be in regional centres a great distance away, and hard to get in direct contact.

In regards to local councils ?

A real problem child this one in Australia . . . there are 537 of them as far as I am aware.
Each can have its own BYLAWS (or BYELAWS as I recently learned it can be spelled in some countries).

We HARDLY EVER see signs at parks and other council administered areas of land, but many councils ban drone operation in their parks, and this is generally interpreted as take off or landing in the park, you can overfly.

Suggest you could fly sensibly in most places to CASA rules, if a council Ranger or member approached and advise it's against their bylaws to fly a drone in a place, you land immediately, apologise, plead ignorance / insanity / other, and leave . . . hopefully without a fine.

You can generally find info by googling like this . . . City of * drone bylaw
But some are buried deep within their websites, or not posted publicly at all !!

A few examples, my local council here in South Australia > Onkaparinga Council (pdf download see 9.23 page 8) and and ABC News article
City of Brisbane (QLD) some of these parks I have visited are very limited.

There's an Australian Local Government Association, and also state based associations.
There is definitely a tie up in council bylaw terminology in states, and I think they all use some sort of 'form letter' bylaw drafted by their association, if they feel the need / desire to apply bans etc.
Most large councils will have something in their bylaws about drones (and other models), smaller or regional ones possibly not.

I found an interesting article by IALPG (International Aerospace Law & Policy Group) regarding these bylaws and their legality . . .
It Could be Time to Say Bye to Drone By-laws
So if they have any influence over council policy, there might be a reversal of outright bans some day, especially if some legal challenges are presented as they arise.

All the best for your travels here, if you get to Adelaide and I'm here, we can probably get a day out and fly for south coast of the Fleurieu Peninsula, some very nice coast down there.
Thanks so much for your incredible insights, I went ahead checking all posts to update them.
Will definitely let you know if I come by Adelaide once again (loved it the first time).

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998