DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone legislation in your state. Are YOU paying attention???

PropSpin

Reactions
I would just like to encourage everyone to pay attention to pending legislation pertaining to drones in their state. Some laws are reasonable and needed, some are overly restrictive and will make it difficult to fly ANYWHERE!
Take for example the following from State Drone Law and select the pending laws tab. The second item (Would make it illegal to fly within 50 feet of private property without consent) of "HB638/SB526 - Aerial Trespassing" as written puts an unacceptable burden and restriction on drone pilots. There's no reason a drone should not be able to traverse airspace over private property if existing laws are being observed. If they want to enact a minimum altitude (150 to 200 ft) that would be okay, but to ban drones outright is going too far. If they're away from dwelling spaces at high enough altitude, they should be allowed to "loiter" as well (taking images of landscape, horizon, etc.)

So pay attention and call your representatives before you find out AFTER the fact when it's too late.

Pennsylvania just enacted Act 78. It was signed into law on October 12. Here are excerpts from Act 78. The law is touted as protecting privacy in yards. However, it seems to me that taking any photos or footage taken from a drone where someone’s yard is visible, even on the periphery may now be a criminal activity in the state of Pennsylvania. The devil is in the definitions:

3505. Unlawful use of unmanned aircraft.

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits the offense of unlawful use of unmanned aircraft if the person uses an unmanned aircraft intentionally or knowingly to:

(1) Conduct surveillance of another person in a private place.

(2) Operate in a manner which places another person in reasonable fear of bodily injury.

f) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

"Bodily injury." As defined in section 2301 (relating to definitions).

"Law enforcement officer." An officer of the United States, of another state or subdivision thereof, or of the Commonwealth or political subdivision thereof, who is empowered by law to conduct investigations of or to make arrests for offenses enumerated in this title or an equivalent crime in another jurisdiction and an attorney authorized by law to prosecute or participate in the prosecution of the offense.

"Private place." A place where a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

"Surveillance." Using or causing to be used an unmanned aircraft to observe, record or invade the privacy of another.

"Unmanned aircraft." An aircraft that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.

I would just like to encourage everyone to pay attention to pending legislation pertaining to drones in their state. Some laws are reasonable and needed, some are overly restrictive and will make it difficult to fly ANYWHERE!
Take for example the following from State Drone Law and select the pending laws tab. The second item (Would make it illegal to fly within 50 feet of private property without consent) of "HB638/SB526 - Aerial Trespassing" as written puts an unacceptable burden and restriction on drone pilots. There's no reason a drone should not be able to traverse airspace over private property if existing laws are being observed. If they want to enact a minimum altitude (150 to 200 ft) that would be okay, but to ban drones outright is going too far. If they're away from dwelling spaces at high enough altitude, they should be allowed to "loiter" as well (taking images of landscape, horizon, etc.)

So pay attention and call your representatives before you find out AFTER the fact when it's too late.
I expect the laws and rules to change dramatically in the next year or so.
Each state will implement some new laws and others won’t.
However, when the FAA releases the updated rules from the 2018 authorization, the next 6 months will be worth watching out for.
Hope that site is updated regularly.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Thankfully here only the Commonwealth (thats the national government) can make laws here pertaining to aviation. The states all agreed back in the 1930s to hand over that power after a referendum failed.

Reactions: deleted member 877
A further reading of Act 78 may imply an exclusion for lawfully operated craft.

Michigan passed a drone preemption law that prohibits local units of government from regulating the use, possession, or operation of unmanned aircraft.

This means you can fly in any park (except federal) anywhere in the state as
Long as you follow faa guidelines.

Michigan passed a drone preemption law that prohibits local units of government from regulating the use, possession, or operation of unmanned aircraft.

This means you can fly in any park (except federal) anywhere in the state as
Long as you follow faa guidelines.
And Nebraska has outlawed them in all Nebraska State Parks.

Which begs the question. Do the states own the air space over state parks? If not, can you fly in from outside the park and return to outside the park without running afoul of the state laws?

We already effectively have this in the UK but enforcing it is very difficult as it’s a civil offence so you can’t get arrested for it. Still wouldn’t want to get dragged through the courts though.

And on other postings, people condem me for saying government is a problem in dealing with bed or illegal laws.
This only proves my point of how unelected bureaucrats are killing us. As there is no recourse or ways to get back at them. Let alone force them to live under said rules or laws.( more than just drones).

Reactions: Drgnfli
intersting, south dakota bans reg of drones under 55 pounds? so they do not need to reg with the faa, i like that. but really, how many drones in south dakota? not many people. and square miles of nothing.

intersting, south dakota bans reg of drones under 55 pounds? so they do not need to reg with the faa, i like that. but really, how many drones in south dakota? not many people. and square miles of nothing.

Well there’ll be hundreds of them now you’ve said that :D. I’m booking my flight now...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuiceThe6One