DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Light painting using Air2S

RonanCork

Reactions
Hey Guys.

Tried a drone light painting a few months back (with only regular inbuilt drone lights), wasn't bad for my first attempt.

Now I want to try improve as my subject was too dark and the bird couldn't get focus to do a POI.

- Can anyone recommend good lume cube or similar that would work for Air2S
- Also ready today that Litchi beta program now supports Litchi and Air2S. Never used Litchi. In this case could I record my POI (ie my exact flight) during the day and then replay that at nighttime?

Any guidance would be great thanks!
Ro

Not sure what u mean by light painting. Do u mean a stationary camera on the ground photographing stills with a slow shutter speed of yr drone? Or do you mean capturing video of swarming drones.

Yup that's exactly it. Ground based tripod camera with slow shutter, taking video of drone flying to capture the light and line of its movement
Ro

Yup that's exactly it. Ground based tripod camera with slow shutter, taking video of drone flying to capture the light and line of its movement
Ro

I look forward to seeing some of your work :)

Any strobe would be more than sufficient for good capture with the ground camera.
As long as the strobe has fixed (solid light) mode, like Firehouse Dual, ARCII, most likely ARCV, others ?

You can get the nav colours too, as well as white . . . so red, green, think they have combo red / blue, I have a red / white combo ARCII.

For lighting up the ground POI, you'd be better to use lighting on the ground, perhaps the led work floodlights on a stand that are run by mains or by Li rechargeable batts (circa 5amp/hr).

I have just got this one (for home projects), but I just run it on mains as I use a different cordless tool system.

Hey.
Any strobe would be more than sufficient for good capture with the ground camera.
As long as the strobe has fixed (solid light) mode, like Firehouse Dual, ARCII, most likely ARCV, others ?

You can get the nav colours too, as well as white . . . so red, green, think they have combo red / blue, I have a red / white combo ARCII.

For lighting up the ground POI, you'd be better to use lighting on the ground, perhaps the led work floodlights on a stand that are run by mains or by Li rechargeable batts (circa 5amp/hr).

I have just got this one (for home projects), but I just run it on mains as I use a different cordless tool system.

Thanks for the detailed information there - much appreciated

Yup I checked the link to the lume cube strobes link and you yes can set the light to be continuous instead of flashing/pulsing -presume that's what you mean by fixed/solid light ?

Thanks Ro

Yup I checked the link to the lume cube strobes link and you yes can set the light to be continuous instead of flashing/pulsing -presume that's what you mean by fixed/solid light ?

No probs Ronan . . . yeah the lumecube strobes be fine in the solid / fixed light.
Initially I thought you were talking the lumecubes (spotlights) to light up the POI more so, but that'd be too difficult to keep on target I would think.

I do understand the FHT strobes, while smaller and great to use, they'd probably be almost impossible to find in the UK, or get them shipped, I had to get mine sent to a US relative, then sent on to me here in Oz.

Best of luck with the project, hope to see some footage or photos once you get some done.

Reactions: RonanCork
No probs Ronan . . . yeah the lumecube strobes be fine in the solid / fixed light.
Initially I thought you were talking the lumecubes (spotlights) to light up the POI more so, but that'd be too difficult to keep on target I would think.

I do understand the FHT strobes, while smaller and great to use, they'd probably be almost impossible to find in the UK, or get them shipped, I had to get mine sent to a US relative, then sent on to me here in Oz.

Best of luck with the project, hope to see some footage or photos once you get some done.
Actually it is to help light up the target as well as to enable to do the "drone light painting" but yeah I can see how it could be a challenges to accurately light it up. I may end up doing it as dusk when there is "some" light around. It'll be a little bit of trial and error. I'll post some results here when I do some
Thanks Ronan.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
If I'm not mistaken, our friend @Vic Moss has used Lume Cubes to "Paint Light" in his Architecture work previously. I'm not sure if he still uses this method or not but IIRC he has done it previously.

Reactions: RonanCork
I look forward to seeing some of your work :)
Hey.

I've not got time to do this yet but hoping to in the next few weeks. I'll post any good images to here for sure.

I did a video of a cool castle tower here in Ireland I shot a few years back so my plan is to, once I can do decent light painting, to do this castle.

Here's the original video -

Thanks Ronan

Reactions: BigAl07
I used the AUX Bottom light for the light painting with my Air 2 and Air 2S, works well.
To orbit I use Litchi App with Orbit mode.

Hey,
Thanks for that. With the AUX LIGHT on - did you've a enough light for the POI to be able to lock onto at night time? I wasn't able to do that with DJI Fly, didn't try it specifically with Litchi yet
Thanks Ro

Reactions: BigAl07
I did use a stationary drone to film a passing UTV with a LED light whip antenna!

DJI_0292.JPGDJI_0291.JPG

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair