DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone on Cruise Ship

tca

Reactions
I am going on a cruise in January.........will be flying to Hawaii and getting on the ship there and visit all the Islands.......Can I take my drone on the ship [ Norwegian - Pride of America ]..

You should contact the Norwegian Cruise Line for details on how they handle drones.

you will need to check with your cruise provider also find out if the places you are visiting allow drone flying and what their local rules are no point taking it if you cant fly it

Reactions: RWD
I am going on a cruise in January.........will be flying to Hawaii and getting on the ship there and visit all the Islands.......Can I take my drone on the ship [ Norwegian - Pride of America ]..

Just got off a Norwegian Cruise a few days ago...the NCL website does indeed read "No Drones Allowed On Board" but based on multiple online comments here and elsewhere I decided to bring mine onboard. They do indeed x-ray your backpack when you first board at your departure port and when you come back on board at the various ports, but as several have written previously they're primarily looking for bottles of alcohol and/or weapons. I kept the MavicAir, prop guards, batteries and controller vertically in my camera bag with a Nikon, lenses, GoPro, etc and had no issues bringing it back onboard (I did keep the props in a small bag in another beach bag we had).

Worst case - they would confiscate and give it back to you at the end of the cruise, but if you're reasonably discreet - and have no intentions of taking it for a spin while on board (stating the obvious, but just in case) - you should be fine.

In the end - I'm so glad I did...got some good shots at some of the beaches during the cruise. Other equipment here is an older model GoPro (Hero 3 Black) and a Hommen iSteady Pro gimbal. Used Polartec ND32 primarily on the drone footage here. Editing in FCPX.

PS - would welcome any feedback on how to get better definition/contrast on the shots looking directly down into the water at low altitudes. Things looked OK at about 60m up but seem more muddied the lower I got over the water. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Horace G Hill Sr
Just got off a Norwegian Cruise a few days ago...the NCL website does indeed read "No Drones Allowed On Board" but based on multiple online comments here and elsewhere I decided to bring mine onboard. They do indeed x-ray your backpack when you first board at your departure port and when you come back on board at the various ports, but as several have written previously they're primarily looking for bottles of alcohol and/or weapons. I kept the MavicAir, prop guards, batteries and controller vertically in my camera bag with a Nikon, lenses, GoPro, etc and had no issues bringing it back onboard (I did keep the props in a small bag in another beach bag we had).

Worst case - they would confiscate and give it back to you at the end of the cruise, but if you're reasonably discreet - and have no intentions of taking it for a spin while on board (stating the obvious, but just in case) - you should be fine.

In the end - I'm so glad I did...got some good shots at some of the beaches during the cruise. Other equipment here is an older model GoPro (Hero 3 Black) and a Hommen iSteady Pro gimbal. Used Polartec ND32 primarily on the drone footage here. Editing in FCPX.

PS - would welcome any feedback on how to get better definition/contrast on the shots looking directly down into the water at low altitudes. Things looked OK at about 60m up but seem more muddied the lower I got over the water. Thanks for the input!

Great job put it all together, looks great to me very nice transitions and color, music was great as well. beautful family vacation I hope to do this someday and create good memories to.thanks for sharing bro.

Reactions: Kola
If you do get it on be aware that if visiting different countries they may have different drone laws so dont just assume you can use it.
Also a lot of cruise ship ports are close to airports, ports themselves might be secure no-fly zones or shared with the military and so on.

I used to work in the Caribbean and the idiots flying drones from cruise ships caused havoc as (i) the moorings were less than 1 mile from touch down on the extended centreline of the airport and (ii) port was a secure area as well so no flying allowed.

Love that cruise!

always amazed why people ask questions on a forum when the same number of keystrokes in an email to the company will give you the correct answer.
anyway, ill bet 100% that you cant. think about it, 2000 people on a ship and say 10% flying drones. cant see a problem with that

Use a Polarizing filter for the water shots, either straight down or across, but be aware it only works in certain directions to the sun. If you are not getting what you want then just change your ground track for what you want to film, with regards to the position of the sun. However, when it does work it is an amazing difference.

always amazed why people ask questions on a forum when the same number of keystrokes in an email to the company will give you the correct answer.
anyway, ill bet 100% that you cant. think about it, 2000 people on a ship and say 10% flying drones. cant see a problem with that
Can't and may not are two different things! Asking from those who have first hand experience is always best! One of the responses above indicated that the official answer was no but they were still successful, and happy they did. Obviously, flying from the cruise ship itself was never even a consideration!

Reactions: FlySkyJumper
Hi Every one:

First post. I am taking a cruise too that is why I am posting in this thread. I will fly from New York to Paris and will be going to the south 5 days, Then I will take the Cruise Oceania to places like Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Shetland, Faroe Island and Iceland. Then I will remain in Iceland three more days. There is no way I can avoid bringing my Mavic Air for this trip due to the gorgeous landscapes. I have a carrying case. The cruise says I cannot take a drone in. I Message them but they have not responded. I figure the worse that could happen is for the drone to be confiscated and returned to me once I come back from either initial boarding or boarding after a land tour. I have no intention of flying at, or near cruise ship just when I am far away in the different tour attractions at theses places. Have any one have a bad experience with a belonging been lost in a cruise? I hate for them to tall me the drone is not found. There may be thieves in theses cruises too...https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CDQQLL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it is the cruise line... well, you can work it out.... in backpack as carry-on?
If the problem is a country’s drone regs you could just leave it onboard.
Here’s one useful reference, if you don’t have it already.

Hi Every one:

First post. I am taking a cruise too that is why I am posting in this thread. I will fly from New York to Paris and will be going to the south 5 days, Then I will take the Cruise Oceania to places like Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Shetland, Faroe Island and Iceland. Then I will remain in Iceland three more days. There is no way I can avoid bringing my Mavic Air for this trip due to the gorgeous landscapes. I have a carrying case. The cruise says I cannot take a drone in. I Message them but they have not responded. I figure the worse that could happen is for the drone to be confiscated and returned to me once I come back from either initial boarding or boarding after a land tour. I have no intention of flying at, or near cruise ship just when I am far away in the different tour attractions at theses places. Have any one have a bad experience with a belonging been lost in a cruise? I hate for them to tall me the drone is not found. There may be thieves in theses cruises too...https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CDQQLL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's a calculated risk. Worst case for the drone is it gets confiscated somewhere along the way and not returned, or stolen, or you crash it, and can't recover it. Worst case for you is you get caught, either by the cruise ship, with unknown consequences (confined to your cabin? ;) ), or by a foreign country flying illegally and end up in jail in a foreign country. You have put the cruise line on notice by messaging them. Your baggage carried on board might now receive extra scrutiny, specifically looking for the drone you inquired about. If you cannot accept the loss of the drone, don't risk it. Other than that, it's your drone, your life, and your call. However, we all love seeing great drone videos from rarely seen locations!:cool:

Hi....

Thanks for you information......I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with some lady at NCL...what a waste of time that was......she told me the reasons the reason they didn't allow drones on the ship....she said the main reason was "passenger safety and passenger privacy"...because a drone could hit a passenger
on board and people could use a drone the to "spy" on other p[passengers.......she was a real DUMMY.......

We are also going on the Pride of America and friends of ours how just came back from that cruise told me about the "No Drones allowed on board".........

I plan on taking my MA ...standing it up sideways in my camera back pack along with my my camera gear...
just like you did.......did this work every time you left the ship?

Can you give me some ideas as to "where "I can fly on the Islands the we will be stopping at.......we do have an excursion on ever Island......

Did you do any flying in Waikiki....we will be there for three nights before we get on the ship.

Thanks

Hi....

Thanks for you information......I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with some lady at NCL...what a waste of time that was......she told me the reasons the reason they didn't allow drones on the ship....she said the main reason was "passenger safety and passenger privacy"...because a drone could hit a passenger
on board and people could use a drone the to "spy" on other p[passengers.......she was a real DUMMY.......

We are also going on the Pride of America and friends of ours how just came back from that cruise told me about the "No Drones allowed on board".........

I plan on taking my MA ...standing it up sideways in my camera back pack along with my my camera gear...

Can you give me some ideas as to "where "I can fly on the Islands the we will be stopping at.......we do have an excursion on ever Island......

Did you do any flying in Waikiki....we will be there for three nights before we get on the ship.

Thanks

Some cruise lines won't allow them at all. Others will allow you to bring on board but you can't fly on the ship. Others will let you bring it on the ship but it is held by security. If you want to fly at a port you have to retrieve it from security when you're leaving the ship at a port.

Hi....

Thanks

having been on several NCL cruises in the past few years I have brought a drone on each trip.

I too packed it in my camera bag with my other camera gear. I took the props off and put rubber covers over the motors. I had no problems taking it on and off the ship on each cruise and simply stored it in my cabin. Zero problems or questions.

Just simplify things. Don’t bring a large hard sided case. When you fly take off from a secluded spot and as I say all the time don’t draw attention to yourself and don’t be the “look at me I have a drone guy”.

The worst case scenario is they you need to check it in with the security office on the ship. You will be able to retrieve it in port and you will get it back the last night of the cruise. (This info was from a Norwegian officer)

Scout possible flight locations in Kittyhawk, Google Maps, and airmap. Simply search “the port of call name, drone” on YouTube to get an idea of possible locations. I do this a lot to not only get ideas but to see of it looks like a friendly place to fly.

Attachments

• 7AECB3CF-8ED7-467B-91F8-66857618E082.jpeg
    7AECB3CF-8ED7-467B-91F8-66857618E082.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
having been on several NCL cruises in the past few years I have brought a drone on each trip.

I too packed it in my camera bag with my other camera gear. I took the props off and put rubber covers over the motors. I had no problems taking it on and off the ship on each cruise and simply stored it in my cabin. Zero problems or questions.

Just simplify things. Don’t bring a large hard sided case. When you fly take off from a secluded spot and as I say all the time don’t draw attention to yourself and don’t be the “look at me I have a drone guy”.

The worst case scenario is they you need to check it in with the security office on the ship. You will be able to retrieve it in port and you will get it back the last night of the cruise. (This info was from a Norwegian officer)

Scout possible flight locations in Kittyhawk, Google Maps, and airmap. Simply search “the port of call name, drone” on YouTube to get an idea of possible locations. I do this a lot to not only get ideas but to see of it looks like a friendly place to fly.

I'm about to cruise on NCL later this month and was thinking of bringing my Mavic Mini (in the Fly More Combo case) and putting that in my camera bag. Did you ever tell them you were bringing a drone and/or was it ever detected in the scanners at embarkation and at any of the ports? My main fear is that they take it away when getting back on ship and just toss it with other prohibited items instead of handling it a bit more delicately.

I'm about to cruise on NCL later this month and was thinking of bringing my Mavic Mini (in the Fly More Combo case) and putting that in my camera bag. Did you ever tell them you were bringing a drone and/or was it ever detected in the scanners at embarkation and at any of the ports? My main fear is that they take it away when getting back on ship and just toss it with other prohibited items instead of handling it a bit more delicately.

I never said anything. Just went through security like you would anywhere put my bag on the belt and grabbed it when it got to the other side. If and if they do find it...It gets put in the security office aboard
to be reclaimed in port or at the end of your cruise. I’m sure they won’t throw it around. They are in the hospitality business and want your return business so I would think they would handle any item with care.

If your paranoid just leave it at home.

Believe me they are looking for bigger things than a Mavic mini.

No I didn’t say anything to anyone from the cruise line that I was bring it with me.

Reactions: MisterX
I never said anything. Just went through security like you would anywhere put my bag on the belt and grabbed it when it got to the other side. If and if they do find it...It gets put in the security office aboard
to be reclaimed in port or at the end of your cruise. I’m sure they won’t throw it around. They are in the hospitality business and want your return business so I would think they would handle any item with care.

If your paranoid just leave it at home.

Believe me they are looking for bigger things than a Mavic mini.

No I didn’t say anything to anyone from the cruise line that I was bring it with me.
Thanks for the feedback. IF I decide to bring it, would you suggest putting drone and controller in separate smaller cases rather than the case the Mini comes with to make it less noticeable on scanner (if that's at all possible)?

I'm thinking the paranoia might get the better part of me and I'll just leave it at home and have a worry-free cruise. Still would love to have some great videos and pics though.

BTW, I saw your great video in another thread of the Royal Dockyard in Bermuda. That's one reason for me to bring the drone along!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS