DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone on roof... needs rescue near Marietta, GA

Status
Not open for further replies.
A rope with a catch net stuck out of an upstairs window?

Do you have ladder standoffs in the states? You then rest the standoff on the soffit and with ladder stabilisers attached at bottom you ( or somebody) can be safe and reach for drone. I have all that equipment here , no use to you of course , perhaps you don't have similar in the States?
Barrie UK

Reactions: RonW
Throw a cat up there, call the fire department to come rescue the cat. Ask them to grab the drone while they're up there. :)
Excellent example of thinking outside the box. The kitty litter box. :)

Reactions: LifesShort
Maybe try your local fire service and explain you are over sixty years old, they maybe do it for you seeing you pay your taxes. Also you could put some money into the fire service fund.

Reactions: 23tony
Call the local gutter cleaning guy. He'll have a ladder long enough to get there. And he'll probably do it for less than an arborist.

I mean as someone pointed out, go rent a ladder from Home Depot. There are like half a million HDs within a few minutes of Marietta. If you’ve given up and abandoned it, let me know and I’ll drive the 20 minutes over there and get it myself.

Last edited:
Have you tried a fishing pole/rod with a hook or do know some one with a fibre glass pole style tent. The poles can be connected to whatever length you need and gorilla tape a hook to the end
HI...

I am near Marietta, GA in East Cobb County.

Long story short... A strong outflow from a thunderstorm (well in advance) took my Mavic PRO about 1/3 of a mile to the SE where it is now in the gutter on a rather tall roof. Even in Sport mode it was going backwards! I did find it right where the GPS said it would be... On top of a roof!

I don't have any tall ladders and neither does the home owner.

Any ideas on how I can get this thing down. I would like to get it down before the next rain. This storm only had light rain so there is a decent chance it may still work.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

George

Have you tried a fishing pole/rod with a hook or do know some one with a fibre glass pole style tent. The poles can be connected to whatever length you need and gorilla tape a hook to the end

Tent poles usually aren't rigid enough to reach up like a fishing rod would. The longer the reach, the more "noodly" they get. I've never been able to reach more than about 15' or so with tent poles, but a wire-fish rod can usually get out to 20' or so.

On one occasion, I dismounted my 30' fiberglass radio antenna mast and used it, but I had to put about 15lbs of weight on the bottom end so I had leverage.

I mean as someone pointed out, go rent a ladder from Home Depot. There are like half a million HDs within a few minutes of Marietta. If you’ve given up and abandoned it, let me know and I’ll drive the 20 minutes over there and get it myself.
Thanks for the offer... I did find a local contractor to fetch it for me.

I did get it down with some help.

So far the damage is limited to loss of "landing extensions" (probably in gutter somewhere), initial connectivity issues (seems better after putting fan on it to help dry out any moisture)... AND a missing piece under one of the rotors. (see attached image). Don't know if this piece is important.

I will test it out later today in backyard.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_5313.jpg
    IMG_5313.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 91
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, since I see their commercials every day. Call Leaf Filter for a free gutter inspection and ask them to kindly retrieve the drone while they're at it.

Tent poles usually aren't rigid enough to reach up like a fishing rod would. The longer the reach, the more "noodly" they get. I've never been able to reach more than about 15' or so with tent poles, but a wire-fish rod can usually get out to 20' or so.

On one occasion, I dismounted my 30' fiberglass radio antenna mast and used it, but I had to put about 15lbs of weight on the bottom end so I had leverage.

If you apply tension to it to make a slight bow, it’s rigid. :)

Go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and get the longest telescoping painters pole you can find. Rig some rope around the end so you can loop it around the drone and gently pull it down.

I did this once and then returned the pole 20 minutes later.

Go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and get the longest telescoping painters pole you can find. Rig some rope around the end so you can loop it around the drone and gently pull it down.

I did this once and then returned the pole 20 minutes later.
It’s down already. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78