DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone or tree trimmer?

Reactions
Lesson learned yesterday. There are limits to the sensors on Mavic 2 Pros! I was shooting this clip with the intention of coming down closer to the river, then climbing up toward the upper falls. I knew the trees were there, but was watching the video feed on my phone in bright sunlight, and not paying enough attention to the close call unfolding almost right in front of me. As you can see at about 15 seconds in, I got real close with small branches of this tree. After playing tree trimmer a bit, I got out of the immediate situation, landed the drone, checked everything over and there was no damage at all to the props. Real good lesson learned for me!

Dropbox - Drone or Trimmer.mov

Lesson learned yesterday. There are limits to the sensors on Mavic 2 Pros! I was shooting this clip with the intention of coming down closer to the river, then climbing up toward the upper falls. I knew the trees were there, but was watching the video feed on my phone in bright sunlight, and not paying enough attention to the close call unfolding almost right in front of me. As you can see at about 15 seconds in, I got real close with small branches of this tree. After playing tree trimmer a bit, I got out of the immediate situation, landed the drone, checked everything over and there was no damage at all to the props. Real good lesson learned for me!

I pruned my apple tree but in my case it went down and inverted and then also mowed a bit of the lawn till it turned off.

I also attempted to prune a bathroom window - Window 1 - Drone 0 (and less two sets of props).

I’m not trying to be snarky, condescending, or critical, I honestly want to learn from your mistake. In the video it seems pretty clear, in hindsight, that you are heading dangerously close to the trees. What was the problem? Not watching the screen, not watching the drone VLOS, inadequate perspective, sunlight obscuring your vision, or something else?

Reactions: conchman
thoughts on the view you videoed:

so sad that idiots think that it is cool to spraypaint and tag rocks on a beautiful vista. Watching that video just makes my blood boil to see how irresponsible some people are. I guess 200 thousand years from now, humans will look back on that and preserve it as cave drawings.(insert sarcasm here).024.jpg

In the video it seems pretty clear, in hindsight, that you are heading dangerously close to the trees. What was the problem? Not watching the screen, not watching the drone VLOS, inadequate perspective, sunlight obscuring your vision, or something else?

It’s always harder to see things at the time on a viewing screen (I’m talking phone or mini 4 device, not sure about crystal sky or the new DJI controller).

Later when viewing footage at home on a desktop screen, I always see so much more, like people walking on rocky beaches etc, you just didn’t know where there at the time from 30m up.

Maybe it’s just my older eyes :/

so sad that idiots think that it is cool to spraypaint and tag rocks on a beautiful vista. I guess 200 thousand years from now, humans will look back on that and preserve it as cave drawings.(insert sarcasm here).View attachment 67084

Funny we were up in far north remote South Australia under permit to Aboriginal tribal lands, and an old elder took us out to a sacred site where we saw cave art dating back many thousands of years.

The old fella Peter showed us his more recent traditional art he’d done on the same overhang walls, but using modern acrylic paints !

I wonder if that will last longer than the traditional ochre powders used originally ?
Possibly but the just looked so out of place, and I secretly wondered how future archeologists may be thrown into total confusion as to the era of each of the gallery ‘walls’.

It’s always harder to see things at the time on a viewing screen (I’m talking phone or mini 4 device, not sure about crystal sky or the new DJI controller).

Later when viewing footage at home on a desktop screen, I always see so much more, like people walking on rocky beaches etc, you just didn’t know where there at the time from 30m up.

Thanks. Unfortunately my eyes are fairly old as well.

Nice save though.

You can take that graffiti out in post.

Reactions: svit-tank-drone
Tough to see the incoming tree with the gimbal aiming down!

I'd let them go just let go of the sticks and 50/50 chances are it will be hovering in place

Hit the Gas and climb when the circumstances get tight. This was taught since I began flying UAVs three years ago. Climb and clear the obstacle. This works as any lateral or downward direction will only make it worse unless you are flying Under an object. Here is an example when I was flying sideways and was lower than I thought. You can see I was IN the branches and the Mavic Pro easily pulled itself out.

Reactions: JakeRobinson

If props were in contact with anything it is better to replace them. Foldable props design helps in such situations.

Tough to see the incoming tree with the gimbal aiming down!
So very true... I was trying to get one of those cool “low approach” shots that then climb away as the gimbal rotates up to the waterfall in the distance. Apparently the Hollywood producers have nothing to worry about from me...

Reactions: Pietros

This was very true that day. I was focusing on the phone screen to try and determine how low I was getting instead of simply looking up... I was trying to get fairly low towards that first tree, but as one of the other posters said, having the gimbal down sure makes it hard to see the somewhat larger tree coming up fast just ahead of the drone. Since the branches were so small, I did not get any warning from the sensors until I was mulching leaves...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11