DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Pilot Nothern Ireland

Felix...
Thanks for all the assistance. I took your advice and entered one of the places I'd really like to film via drone: The Gap of Dunloe. I understand this is a large area, not just a single point. But it appears the entire area is red/NFZ. But it says in the description (see attachment) "Unless regulations in your region explicitly permit the operation of your drone in this area, we recommend you do not operate your drone here.

So, can I fly there or not, since not flying is a recommendation and not totally prohibited?

Side note: It's amazing how many "NFZ" areas there are in just that little screenshot area!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 7.11.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 7.11.55 PM.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 3
Felix...
Thanks for all the assistance. I took your advice and entered one of the places I'd really like to film via drone: The Gap of Dunloe. I understand this is a large area, not just a single point. But it appears the entire area is red/NFZ. But it says in the description (see attachment) "Unless regulations in your region explicitly permit the operation of your drone in this area, we recommend you do not operate your drone here.

So, can I fly there or not, since not flying is a recommendation and not totally prohibited?

Side note: It's amazing how many "NFZ" areas there are in just that little screenshot area!
You are most welcome.
Where you have marked is about 5 miles outside a red(RED) control zone (airport NFZ) - Kerry Control Zone and Killarney CZ. The text states clearly that the big circle north of your drop-pin is out of bounds. The Gap of Dunlowe circle lists 'hang-gliding'. This circle is an 'ADVISORY'. Told you AA are buggers for doing this.
Where I live is inside one of these AA red zones that are deliberately made to look like they are prohibited airspace when what they actually are is classified as either a WARNING or ENHANCED WARNING ZONE. In the UK, you can legitimately fly in warning or enhanced warning zones, but the owness is on you to increase your vigilance and fly with greater care.
In this circumstance, I would use my discretion and my eyesight. If there are any kites in the air: don't fly.
I would also contact the IAA before you travel and get official clarification from them regarding flying in 'advisory' airspace in the ROI.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to have to look closely when using the Altitude Angels' map. I wonder why Altitude Angels identifies this area (and similar) with a red circle, which, to me, is very misleading. Why not use yellow?

In the US if I accidentally tried to fly into a red NFZ (according to DJI app), geo fencing wouldn't allow the drone to enter. Is this the same in Ireland and N. Ireland?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to have to look closely when using the Altitude Angels' map. I wonder why Altitude Angels identifies this area (and similar) with a red circle, which, to me, is very misleading. Why not use yellow?

In the US if I accidentally tried to fly into a red NFZ (according to DJI app), geo fencing wouldn't allow the drone to enter. Is this the same in Ireland and N. Ireland?
DJI geozones are a bit of a grey area currently. DJI is preparing to swap their version (in the UK and Europe) to the new EASA EU GZM which is the map you currently see when you look at the ROI. I find it very useful to have used the old DJI system because it has taught me how to differentiate between FRZ's at a glance. The old DJI safe flight database also automatically locked drones out of genuinely restricted zones in the UK, but currently, this is very much a grey area too.
The only way I have found to gain clarity on the nature of geozone marked areas in Altitude Angel/Drone Assist is to click on the restriction and carefully read the text. If two words are missing (restricted/NOTAM), then odds-on it's a 'suggested' which means it's an advisory.
As for the red rash all over the airspace: I think it is deliberately misleading.

Out of curiosity, on the Altitude Angel's map how can there be a yellow fly zone inside a red "no-fly" zone?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 7.37.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 7.37.12 PM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
🤪 you've got me there, Floyd. Interesting isn't it? This is starting to manifest more and more as the switchover from DJI proprietary geozones to the Euro GZM progresses. The only way it would make sense is if the yellow circle represented a geo-cage WITHIN the FRZ and I really can't see this being the case with airports and airfields.... but this is the EU we're talking about which means non-bureaucratic common sense went on holiday quite a few years ago.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Just doing some Altitude Angel red-circle map browsing, and noticed a lot of red/restricted airspace is due to hang gliding. Now I have nothing against hang gliders and I totally understand hang gliders and drones don't mix, but why do hang gliders get their own airspace? It would be nice to see a dedicated restricted/red no-fly area assigned for drone flying! So hang gliders would be made aware that the area is a popular drone flying area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky