DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone police

I have hesitated to react, simply because the topic of "flying within legal limits" is to important to every single drone-pilot that it should become a freudian shouting match.

One thing I notice is, that legislators more and more tend to restrict the use of UAV in public. To some extend it is understandable, more drones mean more risks for incidents and a certain amount of regulation then is benificial to all users.
You can say the same for vehicle and traffic codes, as the first automobiles appeared on the streets, it became obvious that some regulations where needed. Today, most people accept the fact that you need a drivinglicence and that there are speed limits on certain roads etc. And it is widly accepted because we all can see that without the regulations, there would be a big problem on the roads.
Back to drones or UAV (in general). We see roughly to groups of pilots - the fast majority are those who "always" flay within the legal limits (equivalent with those who never drove to fast or park at a wrong spot) and a smaller group that has decided that they need no rules for they know what they are doing and always are in control. (In fact, no one always is flying wihtin the legal limits and no one always is ignoring them.)
The problem is, that opponents of UAVs use the actions of those who decide to ignore the rules to pressure legislators into strickter rules. One thing adding to the fears of the opponents are hollywood productions showing UAVs doing things that the average drone is unable to do. The opponents, supported indirectly by the media that publish incidents with negativ outcome instead of publishing stories about the lawfull use, force legislators to act, which they do with strickter (and more) rules.
Considering all this, people who knowlngly and willingly ignore rules (VLOS as the most common rule ignored) contribute to the increased restrictions for all UAV-operators.
Considering all this, I think that this gives those who practice within the legal boundaries a right to point the rules out to those who do not abbide them, since they are affected by new legislations. Now, I am realistic, I do not think that my comment on someone complaining about the limited range (only 800 meters) of his drone will ensure he/she/it will not try to fly that far. Nor will someone bragging about what he/she/it all can film with their drone will stop doing so because people tell them it is unlawfull. Just like there are still people that think it is okay to drive intoxicated.
But that should not stop them from being confronted (in a friendly, decent way) wiht what they are doing wrong.

Like almost anything, there's a spectrum of posts in this regard. There are the obvious major "holy cow, are you ever going way over the top breaking that rule, which could very well making it hard on the rest of us", to the minor hint, the mere suspect of a problem, as in "say buddy, were you perhaps doing something wrong to get that shot"?

The former should be called out; probably always.

The latter is a case of discretion, but I think it's good etiquette to just let it go unless you have a very good reason.

Free speech: just don't, son. This is not a forum protected by any such constitutional rights, even if you are in a country that has them. Banning anything is at the discretion of the owners, mods, admins, etc. and you can't do a thing about that. The OP suggesting a ban probably should have been a private conversation with an admin.

Chris

Like almost anything, there's a spectrum of posts in this regard. There are the obvious major "holy cow, are you ever going way over the top breaking that rule, which could very well making it hard on the rest of us", to the minor hint, the mere suspect of a problem, as in "say buddy, were you perhaps doing something wrong to get that shot"?

The former should be called out; probably always.

The latter is a case of discretion, but I think it's good etiquette to just let it go unless you have a very good reason.

Free speech: just don't, son. This is not a forum protected by any such constitutional rights, even if you are in a country that has them. Banning anything is at the discretion of the owners, mods, admins, etc. and you can't do a thing about that. The OP suggesting a ban probably should have been a private conversation with an admin.

Chris
Is ok to a certain point but when a member wants to push it yes it’s cut off . Is a private forum not public. Also yes some rants should be
in a message and are but you know this bunch as well as I.
They just click the box as many do and don’t read the guideline page. ?
And the HOOPLA has started
What HOOPLA you mean Cf ?

Is ok to a certain point but when a member wants to push it yes it’s cut off . Is a private forum not public. Also yes some rants should be
in a message and are but you know this bunch as well as I.
They just click the box as many do and don’t read the guideline page. ?

What HOOPLA you mean Cf ?
The in fighting(arguing) about what is and isn't okay

Reactions: dirkclod
So far it seems to be a reasonably civilised conversation rather than a fight. Let’s hope it stays that way.
This thread has but there have been many that have not been and had to be closed.

Whatever you do and I don’t care if your in the right or wrong comply
with what they tell you and you can hash it out later.
Some might tell you to be argumentative if you think you are
within your rights but it’s not worth the headache .
Excellent answer

Reactions: Classic flyer
Concur. Either an opportunity to educate local LE Agency or an opportunity to keep from getting your drone seized and ending up to try and educate a judge!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro