DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Registration Drops By 50% since Remote ID rule published

Don Testme

Reactions

Some of it makes sense. How are all the agencies going to manage 10,000 Amazon drones over suburbia? How will they tell when a bad apple drone has a package that is a bit more than fried eggs and spam heading for a federal building? So I understand the DHS and DOD concerns. The threats are real.

The flip side, it seems the powers that be want only half pound drones flown by recreationalists. DJI needs to get busy making the Mini a lot better drone.

I wonder if that is worldwide or here in the US? Or is it many people are going with the smaller sub 250 Gram drones. I wonder how that statistic compares to the statistic of sales.

Stats can be manipulated. Without the raw data to confirm I'm not prone to take much away from that chart.

Reactions: bobj151 and F00Man
I doubt the drop is related to remote ID. Someone asked how they will be able to regulate this in the US. Ever try to fly your drone in a restricted area? It won't fly. Not without authorization. That's how they will regulate it. Everywhere will be a restricted area unless you have remote ID. I hope they rethink this rule and decide not to implement it.

I doubt the drop is related to remote ID. Someone asked how they will be able to regulate this in the US. Ever try to fly your drone in a restricted area? It won't fly. Not without authorization. That's how they will regulate it. Everywhere will be a restricted area unless you have remote ID. I hope they rethink this rule and decide not to implement it.
If they would have had this from the start I/we wouldn't have lost most all of our flying freedom. I've watched my flying freedom dwindle since March 2017 from idiots like Casey making uboob videos breaking most every FAA drone rule(s).....people are still doing it. I'd say most people here couldn't pass trust the first time without making wrong answers. There's not many posts on the commercial drone forums on the net. We know the rules and keep up with them. Flying drones used to be fun. Not so much anymore.

The author of the article mentions that the perceived drop may be because, before the RID rule, the FAA reported all registrations to date and may have switched to reporting only active registrations thereafter.

I'm making sure that I am buying the latest tech without remote ID equipement installed. I will simply fly discretely when I do fly without remote ID. I may even have to stay above 500 ft , so the drone is not visible from the ground or heard from the ground. I'm becoming very good at flying in a very stealthy hidden manner. When remote ID or if it becomes required, I will likely start building my own drones.

Reactions: RMuntan
RID still doesn‘t prevent incursions which is the claimed purpose! Neither does it stop incursions between other drones or the manned aircraft that is purported to be about. Most of those manned aircraft in most situations outside of an airport would be low flying helicopters. Do you still need RID where there isn’t any helicopter activity out in the boonies? There’s always a “remote” possibility.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4