DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone registration uk

CorkersFPV

Reactions
Amendment to the Air Navigation Order 2016 – 30th May 2018

Tomorrow morning we will be laying an amendment to the Air Navigation Order 2016 in Parliament. Following the government’s consultation last year, this will put into law the requirements for:

1. operators of drones above 250g to be registered

2. pilots flying these drones (known as ‘remote pilots’) to obtain an acknowledgement of competency from the CAA, having passed requirements set by the CAA such as an online safety test to prove their knowledge of the restrictions

3. a height limit of 400ft for all drone flights

4. a restriction from flying drones within 1km of protected aerodromes in the UK, unless you have the permission of the Air Traffic Control unit in question.

Measures 1 & 2 will not come into force until 30th November 2019 to give drone users time to adjust to this change and allow the Civil Aviation Authority to complete their work on the systems and educational materials required to implement these policies.

Measures 3 & 4 will come into force sooner on 30th July 2018, i.e. 2 months from now. With regards to both the 400ft and airports restrictions, where drone operations are deemed to be safe enough, the CAA will have the power to exempt operators from adhering to these rules. This will allow safe, innovative and positive commercial use of drone technology to continue.

Interesting, what is changing exactly?

1. operators of drones above 250g to be registered

All DJI drones are registered

2. pilots flying these drones (known as ‘remote pilots’) to obtain an acknowledgement of competency from the CAA, having passed requirements set by the CAA such as an online safety test to prove their knowledge of the restrictions
DJI already run us through an online test

3. a height limit of 400ft for all drone flights
No change?

4. a restriction from flying drones within 1km of protected aerodromes in the UK, unless you have the permission of the Air Traffic Control unit in question.
I always thought this was 5km

Last edited:
Hi

1. I guess this means registered with the government/CAA sand not just DJI

2. Again, I think this will be a CAA competency test and not just one from DJI

3. Drone code suggests 400 feet but drones under 7Kg are exempt from the CAA regulation. Only drones over 7Kg have that limit according to article 94 of the 2016 ANO

4. It is/was 5Km, it perhaps protected aerodromes are a slightly different category and maybe a more lenient area providing you notify ATC

Jason

Reactions: djiboi
I wonder if there will be a fee for registration/test with CAA and if so, how exorbitant it will be.
You can almost guarantee there will be a charge for registration. Anyone know how much the FCC charge?

Better raid the piggy bank folk's, UK government not shy about thinking up idea's to get more money out of us, and if your thinking of eating a hot pastie whilst doing you're hobby they might revisit the tax on that too.

Reactions: Paulbee
To be frank this has been coming for years, and we should think ourselves lucky that they’re not worse. What about tourists coming into the UK though?

Small aerodromes are everywhere in the UK. Pretty much the whole of the UK will be a no fly zone

Small aerodromes are everywhere in the UK. Pretty much the whole of the UK will be a no fly zone

A bit of an overreaction don’t you think? It was bound to happen sooner or later , I think we’ve got off lightly.

A bit of an overreaction don’t you think? It was bound to happen sooner or later , I think we’ve got off lightly.
Map of aerodromes, airfields and landing grounds in Europe

Hard to find many areas near me anyway. As soon as you are a mile away from one, you start encroaching on another. And yes, drones are a dangerous toy in the wrong hands. Did you see in the news where the police drone nearly got took out by a jet at 300 feet? I can see us having to announce our flight plans soon like all aircraft.

Map of aerodromes, airfields and landing grounds in Europe

Hard to find many areas near me anyway. As soon as you are a mile away from one, you start encroaching on another. And yes, drones are a dangerous toy in the wrong hands. Did you see in the news where the police drone nearly got took out by a jet at 300 feet? I can see us having to announce our flight plans soon like all aircraft.

Fair enough, I suppose I’m thinking of my own geography where I’m struggling to think of any small airfields that I’d want to fly near (I’m up in Yorkshire).

Only easa licenced aerodromes will be subject to 1km ruling. Farm strips Little airfields etc won’t be subject to them.

Did you see in the news where the police drone nearly got took out by a jet at 300 feet?
A little more context would help here

Fighter jet 'almost hit' police drone

Drone was @ 90m, Jet at 150m so they were flying in their own respective airspace. What was the jet doing that low is anyones guess but any drone pilot with even a shred of common sense would keep a drone out of manned aircrafts way. I think pilots of manned aircraft have been flying illegally too low for some time now and perhaps they need to be held accountable just like a drone pilot would en-roaching in their airspace.

I'm sure that article has been edited. If the drone was 60m below the jet and 200m laterally away, why was the police officer so concerned?

Reactions: oblisk
I know it absolutely makes sense but how do they police the 400ft rule?

Thanks. The report basically said there was no issue as both craft were in their allowed airspace

Thanks. The report basically said there was no issue as both craft were in their allowed airspace

Yeah, apart from the police pilot needing a change of underwear! And the potential for low flying at 250ft. And the fact both pilots were using different and unconnected systems for flight planning / safety so were completely unaware of each other, despite making a lot more checks than any hobby pilot would.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS