DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone registration uk

As an example, to get a certificate to buy proper rat poison for farm use costs £60 and a goofy multiple choice questionnaire has to be filled in.
You'd have to be thick to get the questions wrong so basically it's a new charge for doing what you did before anyway.
In practice it makes no difference, but political boxes have been ticked and imaginary danger dealt with.
This will be exactly the same, though I suspect the new drone charge will be more like £20. At first.

Interesting, what is changing exactly?

1. operators of drones above 250g to be registered

All DJI drones are registered

2. pilots flying these drones (known as ‘remote pilots’) to obtain an acknowledgement of competency from the CAA, having passed requirements set by the CAA such as an online safety test to prove their knowledge of the restrictions
DJI already run us through an online test

3. a height limit of 400ft for all drone flights
No change?

4. a restriction from flying drones within 1km of protected aerodromes in the UK, unless you have the permission of the Air Traffic Control unit in question.
I always thought this was 5km
Same here

well it was just a matter of time but after spending a few hours looking on line i can't find a link to registers my mavric pro or any link to the on line test that they say is needed what give make a law with no way of doing it also are we going to have to have public liability insurance too . I am very careful about my flights as we have a lot of airfield here in the south of England but it's getting nuts are we going to be forced to just fly around a field at a model club like RC pilots if so it will completely ruin the purpose of my drone that to get good air photos and video when out with the family

You won't find any links, because they have not yet worked out how they are going to do the test or the registration - that part of the legislation is delayed until November 2019. There is no mention of requiring PLI.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
You won't find any links, because they have not yet worked out how they are going to do the test or the registration - that part of the legislation is delayed until November 2019. There is no mention of requiring PLI.
thanks i was following a link from caa stating we would need insurance as well as part of the new regulations maybe that just part of the old info around using it for work .a few times iv gone to fly in place with castle and things and been asked for my Pli info before they will let me fly my drone there even though it's not in a restrictive flight zone

A little more context would help here

Fighter jet 'almost hit' police drone

Drone was @ 90m, Jet at 150m so they were flying in their own respective airspace. What was the jet doing that low is anyones guess but any drone pilot with even a shred of common sense would keep a drone out of manned aircrafts way. I think pilots of manned aircraft have been flying illegally too low for some time now and perhaps they need to be held accountable just like a drone pilot would en-roaching in their airspace.
Fast Jets often fly below the 400 feet. Other aircraft too. I use this app when I am planning a flight to check what is taking place. It lists NOTAM's (Notice to Airman) in the area you are planning to fly. So get you get to see if there are military exercises, Air balloon or glider events, etc, etc.

EVFR Basic and you can download it from Appstore.

A little more context would help here

Fighter jet 'almost hit' police drone

Drone was @ 90m, Jet at 150m so they were flying in their own respective airspace. What was the jet doing that low is anyones guess but any drone pilot with even a shred of common sense would keep a drone out of manned aircrafts way. I think pilots of manned aircraft have been flying illegally too low for some time now and perhaps they need to be held accountable just like a drone pilot would en-roaching in their airspace.

The RAF fly quite low in the Lakes. It’s a training area. It’s difficult to say how low they’re flying because the terrain undulates. I’ve been driving along the M6, and it seems to me they’re flying straight at me. They’re well below the level of the adjacent hills, and maybe 200-300 metres above the valley bottom. So it’s possible for a drone to have taken off from part-way up a hill, and remain below 400ft from the take-off point, but to still be above or at least around the same height as a jet flying 200-300 metres above the valley bottom.

The RAF fly quite low in the Lakes. It’s a training area. It’s difficult to say how low they’re flying because the terrain undulates. I’ve been driving along the M6, and it seems to me they’re flying straight at me. They’re well below the level of the adjacent hills, and maybe 200-300 metres above the valley bottom. So it’s possible for a drone to have taken off from part-way up a hill, and remain below 400ft from the take-off point, but to still be above or at least around the same height as a jet flying 200-300 metres above the valley bottom.

Military flying in the UK can legally be anywhere from 250 to 2000 feet above ground level.

Military flying in the UK can legally be anywhere from 250 to 2000 feet above ground level.
250 feet is the normal training height, but fixed wing can, on occasions, be cleared to 100 feet! However, helicopters are cleared to zero feet!!

I think these are generally all good and easily workable. Ireland charge €5 for 2 year registration. USA $5. I'm sure ours will be similar.
It’s good to see proposals being put forward based on facts and scientific evidence, not pandering to the ever-hysterical pilots’ union.
DJI fliers actually already carry out registration and training already; you have to assign your DJI-registered email in the Go 4 app in order to take it out of beginner mode. And now you have to pass their safety quiz that used to be optional. This shows the regulators this side can be controlled and enforced.
So when training becomes mandatory, it will probably all be done through the App, or linked via your email to the CAA training and registration. Or you’ll be stuck in beginner mode.
The Government stated they want all drones to be flown via Apps to force this element and to enable the use of NFZ databases.

Last year there was an update to the user agreement of the Go 4 app that specifically allows DJI to share your drones registration details, email and location info with third parties. They literally can track down who is flying where.
DJI Unveils Technology To Identify And Track Airborne Drones

But as I said, none of this is actually bad stuff, and hopefully will help our cause against the press who seem to hate us almost as much as the pilots union.
I think the 1Km zone will probably be from the boundary of controlled air space, but we’ll have to wait for the actual details. In the meantime, here’s my take:

It's almost as if they think that Apps can't be modified.
True... GPS can be shifted; apps modified and hacked; and you can drive at 90mph through a speed trap with fake plates .... It's all about stopping the majority... And let's be honest, how many tech-heads want to get that 747-400 drone shot?

Ian

As far as public liability insurance being a member of the BFMA is a start as long as your safe etc, i fly rc and drones and presently doing my multirotor A certificate but will still have to do the online test for the government

Amendment to the Air Navigation Order 2016 – 30th May 2018

2. pilots flying these drones (known as ‘remote pilots’) to obtain an acknowledgement of competency from the CAA, having passed requirements set by the CAA such as an online safety test to prove their knowledge of the restrictions

Will possession of a pilot's licence (e.g., NPL microlight) suffice for this?

I can see us having to announce our flight plans soon like all aircraft.

The vast majority of aircraft do not have to announce flight plans. It's not even a requirement that aircraft have radios, let alone transponders, unless they are in restricted airspace (a tiny proportion of the UK).

Devon & Cornwall Police are already running "awareness" courses. I wonder if attendance of that will be accepted? (Course fee £20).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J