DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone requires 2 power on to start

Yep, it was definitely an issue with the Phantom 2 Vision+.
I can confirm my P2 V+ can and has taken off on it's own (only in GPS mode and only after having manually starting the props). Simply powering it on without starting the props was safe.

While it's a serious issue, it's also a bit funny to imagine you guys all serious and preparing and suddenly the bird gets a mind of its own and just takes off flying 😁

Did it just ascend, or take off horizontally too? What did you do?

@scro the props on the mini 3 are pitched forward much more relative to the body compared to previous folding Mavic/Mini designs, giving it a nose-up orientation when hovering. More important, it results in the body being flatter in forward motion, cutting a smaller cross-section in direction of travel reducing drag.

A shift in thinking. It's obvious and natural to think of level orientation when hovering, but that's not the optimal design choice with a bit more pondering. Ideal would be VTOL Osprey-like motors and props the rotated on their arms.

The Mini 3 has this sort of haughty, jaunty stance to it when hovering. I like it 😁

Reactions: scro
While it's a serious issue, it's also a bit funny to imagine you guys all serious and preparing and suddenly the bird gets a mind of its own and just takes off flying 😁

Did it just ascend, or take off horizontally too? What did you do?
I was testing a dead P2 battery that I had disassembled and forced alive again by letting the props idle on my kitchen table. I was in the next room when I heard the prop speed increase and ran back to catch the aircraft inches from flying up into my ceiling fan. I was lucky to avoid impact but I learned to never trust an aircraft with props running and idling unattended.

@mightypilot2000 The DJI FPV introduced the idea of having the body level when the props are tilted forward & drone is in forward flight. After seeing that I started mulling ideas of rebuilding a mini 1 into a more aerodynamic, tilted body frame. It never got past the idea stage, and the lo and behold along comes the mini 3 with this idea in a folding drone body 😀

@mightypilot2000 The DJI FPV introduced the idea of having the body level when the props are tilted forward & drone is in forward flight. After seeing that I started mulling ideas of rebuilding a mini 1 into a more aerodynamic, tilted body frame. It never got past the idea stage, and the lo and behold along comes the mini 3 with this idea in a folding drone body 😀
That's right, it was the FPV first – good recall 👍

Once exposed to the concept, it seems so stupidly obvious. It's one of those things that for simple reasons gets missed – of course you think of the drone level on the ground, then rising vertically in that same attitude on takeoff – and this bias is then reinforced over time with everyone designing them the same way.

Also, it's the natural design for a homebuilt before 3D printers, which is how quads came on the scene to begin with.

When are we going to get the Osprey tilt-rotors? Mavic 5?

😁

Are you saying that from nothing being turned on to the moment your drone takes off should take 30-secnds?

Is this your belief or your experience? I cannot imagine that you have GPS Lock and Home Point Set... Amazing...

The DJI FPV introduced the idea of having the body level when the props are tilted forward & drone is in forward flight.
Pre-pandemic I was at a conference where an engineering group was demonstrating their prototype drone that used just that feature (tilting props) to keep the drone level. Less power usage when moving (smaller frontal cross-sectional area), the trade-off being more weight and more complication (for the additional motors and controls).

Pre-pandemic I was at a conference where an engineering group was demonstrating their prototype drone that used just that feature (tilting props) to keep the drone level. Less power usage when moving (smaller frontal cross-sectional area), the trade-off being more weight and more complication (for the additional motors and controls).
The DJI FPV and Mini 3 series do not have dynamic motorized tilting props like an Osprey VTOL... The props/drive motors are fixed like all other DJI drones. However, unlike earlier models the props are fixed tilted forward around 20° (that's a WAG, no one skewer me... @scro 😁😁), so after takeoff when hovering the props are basically level, while the body is pitched up.

Are you saying that from nothing being turned on to the moment your drone takes off should take 30-secnds?

Is this your belief or your experience? I cannot imagine that you have GPS Lock and Home Point Set... Amazing...
30 seconds is most probably pushing it, but a Mini 3 class with the DJI RC will get you in the air pretty fast. Especially if you'd been flying just hours (or day or two?) earlier, and only need to get a GPS warm fix.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman