alexjo55

Reactions
What i have to do to start flying:
1. start the drone.
2. start the controller.
3.click on the fly app.
4. power off the drone
5.power on the drone.
Usually it gets connected after that, but its not unusual that i have to restart the drone 3 or even 4 times.

What can be wrong?

A few days ago i saw the rainbow and had to be quick to get it on video.
Should take 30 seconds until im airborne but instead i have to restart the drone and wait for connection so it take 3 minutes, very annoying.

Your existing process should work.

How about this instead?

1. Start remote controller
2. Start DJI Fly
3. Power on the drone

Any sequence should work fine, as you can see in my signature, I have 3 different DJI models each with their own dedicated RC and all 3 start up fine regardless of my power up sequence.
That being said though, the best recognized practice with any RC device is to always power the RC up first and shut it down last, to be sure you always have control in any situation.

Your existing process should work.

How about this instead?

1. Start remote controller
2. Start DJI Fly
3. Power on the drone
This is what I do.

I recall a few times when I started the drone first and started the controller quite a bit later I had to do what OP did, turn the drone off and on, so I internalize that the controller should be on first a long time ago. Can't recall if that was with my Phantom 4 or Mavic 2, but ever after I've started the controller and made certain DJI Fly (or Go) was running before starting the drone.

its not unusual that i have to restart the drone 3 or even 4 times
There is something wrong.

Is your firmware up to date?

If so, then once you get a connection check signal strength, because it sounds like something could be interfering with the transmission.

Do you have an RC Controller, or are you using a phone? If the latter, have you tried shutting down all apps except DJI Fly?

Reactions: Cafguy
Have you tried to rebind the Drone to the controller, or as said above Do you have another app such as Litchi running in the background ( that can cause hassles at times) or any apps for that matter, I used to try to use my music on my phone on the controller while my controller would actually be hooked to the iPad. I know that will get you some terrible lag from the drones VTX trying to do that.

didnt make any difference at all unfortunatly
When it doesn't work, is the drone also not connecting to the remote controller? Trying to understand if you're maybe just experiencing an issue with your mobile device.

When it doesn't work, is the drone also not connecting to the remote controller? Trying to understand if you're maybe just experiencing an issue with your mobile device.
Maybe im stupid, but the controller cant be connected to the drone without the phone/app.

Maybe im stupid, but the controller cant be connected to the drone without the phone/app.
Yes, the controller will connect to the drone without the phone... in fact you can fly the drone without using the phone at all, I've done it - just around the backyard. The phone/app is just there to show you the telemetry and camera view.

And no, you're not stupid, just obviously new to drones.

The remote controller connects to the drone to control it (the uplink) and the drone sends flight data back to the remote controller (the downlink). While I don't recommend flying a DJI drone without flight data (the app), you technically only need the uplink to fly.

Any sequence should work fine, as you can see in my signature, I have 3 different DJI models each with their own dedicated RC and all 3 start up fine regardless of my power up sequence.
That being said though, the best recognized practice with any RC device is to always power the RC up first and shut it down last, to be sure you always have control in any situation.
Good advice that I don't follow 😁

I always power on the aircraft first so it can get a GPS lock while I'm getting the rest up and running. Usually do lock, which gets me in the air faster.

Never had any problems like the OP..

Good advice that I don't follow 😁

I always power on the aircraft first so it can get a GPS lock while I'm getting the rest up and running. Usually do lock, which gets me in the air faster.

Never had any problems like the OP..
I usually do the same, let the aircraft warm up and get a GPS lock while getting everything else ready.

The advice to power on the RC first and the AC last goes back to the early Phantom line, because if you powered the AC on without the RC being on already, the Drone was prone to take off by itself, leaving you with no control over it.

DJI solved that problem with later models, along with VRS - Vortex Ring State, which crashed many a perfectly good drone. VRS was caused by the Drone descending too fast and getting caught in it's on prop wash, destroying lift. DJI fixed that by canting the motors slightly.

• Wow
Reactions: Joe Horn
The advice to power on the RC first and the AC last goes back to the early Phantom line, because if you powered the AC on without the RC being on already, the Drone was prone to take off by itself, leaving you with no control over it.

No way! Really?

Not challenging you – I believe it. Never happened to my P3, and i almost wish had just for the craziness, and a great story to tell 🤣

DJI solved that problem with later models, along with VRS - Vortex Ring State, which crashed many a perfectly good drone. VRS was caused by the Drone descending too fast and getting caught in it's on prop wash, destroying lift. DJI fixed that by canting the motors slightly.
W.r.t. that, take a look at what they did with the mini 3 design, which I think was quite an inspiration.

W.r.t. that, take a look at what they did with the mini 3 design, which I think was quite an inspiration.
A bit off original topic, but I'm curious as to what specific design feature you refer to? Aerodynamically, I see the mini 3 as primarily a culmination of various design features of earlier drones, but maybe I've overlooked a clever improvement somewhere.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman