DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

put tape on sencors?

alexjo55

Reactions
I have the mini 3 and one of the things that really annoys me is when im about to land t in my hand, i have to grab it in a special way so i dont put my hand infron of the scensors beccause then the drone will lift by itself again.

I dont feel have any need of these sensors so i wonder if i can just put some tape on them?

@alexjo55 you might not have any need for them,but the drone does ,if you cover them up, then the drone will be relying on just the barometer and GPS, to know its height above the ground ,
both of which are not accurate enough ,to be of use ,all you need to do to hand land ,is put your flat hand under the drone ,wait till it has risen up and stabalised ,then keeping your hand still pull down the left stick, (mode 2) and then the drone will descend onto to your hand

Don't grab your drone out of the air when it's still in flight mode. Hold your hand under it and push down the left stick till it says "landing" and lands on your hand.

Because then your drone will see your hand as a safe landing place, lands on your hand and shuts down itself without trying to fly away.

@alexjo55 WHY ? the fact that the motors stop when you flip the drone over, is part of the safety protection from the spinning blades, causing damage to both the drone ,and any object it might be heading towards, if say a blade came off due to failure ,or from an impact with something
every time you grab it and flip it over, the blades as you know ,speed up as it tries to resist ,in an effort to stay aloft ,this puts a considerable load on the drones structure the motors and electronics,and in the event that it slipped from your hand during the process ,then those blades would cause you ,or someone standing close by to you, harm as well as the drone tried to recover
but if you feel so stongly about the sensors actions,then its your drone, so you will be the one taking,the risks involved in covering them up

Reactions: MotoSavy
you might not have any need for them,but the drone does ,if you cover them up, then the drone will be relying on just the barometer and GPS, to know its height above the ground
The GPS is not used in any way to tell height above anything.
The barometer does not show height above ground level.
But it's not important for the drone to know how high it is above ground level anyway.

But DJI made it possible to disable the downward sensors anyway several months back, so there's no need to tape them anyway.

It puzzles me as to why so many people struggle with hand landing a drone in the 'presence' of landing protection and don't seemingly know that holding the throttle closed will, after a very short delay, cause the drone to descend on to their hand and stop its motors.

Last edited:
The GPS is not used in any way to tell height above anything.
The barometer does not show height above ground level.
But it's not important for the drone to know how high it is above ground level anyway.

But DJI made it possible to disable the downward sensors anyway several months back, so there's no need to tape them anyway.
It was my impression that was it's purpose? Upon motor start/lift off point...it records barometric pressure and zeros the height indicated and then uses that measurement to display height during the flight? It's not perfect but much better than GPS as most of us know. Then using a combination of ultrasonic sensors (If so equipped, thought they all used them) and Barometer it can then determine ground height for landing. Is this still not the case ??? If not where is the data coming from for height?

Last edited:
It was my impression that was it's purpose? Upon motor start/lift off point...it records barometric pressure and zeros the height indicated and then uses that measurement to display height during the flight? It's not perfect but much better than GPS as most of us know. Then using a combination of ultrasonic sensors (If so equipped, thought they all used them) and Barometer it can then determine ground height for landing. Is this still not the case ??? If not where is the data coming from for height?
The drone does not use GPS at all for height data.
The barometer shows height relative to launch point.
The only way the drone has any idea of height above ground, is from the VPS which has a very limited range.

Reactions: Cafguy
It was my impression that was it's purpose?
It would be very nice if drones could measure or estimate AGL when at height, then those dipsticks in the EU could change the impending 120m rule to AGL which is an approximation to the legal height limit in the EU.

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
I keep reading about the Throttle in some post ,which control stick is the throttle ?

does it make the drone rev up or down??

I keep reading about the Throttle in some post ,which control stick is the throttle ?
DJI uses the word throttle for moving the left stick forwards and back.
This makes the drone climb and descend.

But many flyers aren't aware of this and may use the word incorrectly to refer to the elevator control that makes the drone fly faster/slower.

I would love a way to just kill the motors instantly on a command... I film from a moving boat, and have to hand catch all the time, I would rather fly into the boat, cut motors off at 12" from the floor and just fall that short distance, will not hurt anything.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian