Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone shots with a MEANING

• Thread starter Deleted member 65595
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 65595

Hi guys!

I have learnt a ton about filmmaking over the past year, and my videos have evolved accordingly. Where I earlier posted blatant videos consisting of drone shots only, I now use drone shots to further enhance what I have filmed from the ground. Take this video, for example. Every shot has a meaning, and serves the purpose of telling the story. I believe drone shots shine when they offer a different perspective to an otherwise boring scene. What do you think?

Sure. That's a fine approach. I think it all depends on what your end goal is. You're a storyteller and drone shots are just one tool you can make use of. Videos that only feature drone shots also have their place. They just serve a different purpose. I shoot video to capture and share dramatic scenery in the places I visit. In that case, videos consisting entirely of drone shots make a lot more sense. And they certainly still have meaning. It's just that the videos I produce don't have the same kind of storytelling narrative that yours do.

Fun video by the way. I liked it!

Thanks for the reply, it opened my view a bit! I just think variety is so important to keep people interested nowadays (on YouTube at least). If I had posted on Vimeo for example maybe I would have done things differently.
Overall I agree with you on all parts, and I would love to see one such movie where basically every shot is from the sky. If you have one I'll take a look :)
Sure. That's a fine approach. I think it all depends on what your end goal is. You're a storyteller and drone shots are just one tool you can make use of. Videos that only feature drone shots also have their place. They just serve a different purpose. I shoot video to capture and share dramatic scenery in the places I visit. In that case, videos consisting entirely of drone shots make a lot more sense. And they certainly still have meaning. It's just that the videos I produce don't have the same kind of storytelling narrative that yours do.

Fun video by the way. I liked it!

Different, really liked the change with the doco / movie format.

I didn't mind that, but unless I was very familiar with a place, had experienced all that was possible there to see etc, I would be missing out too much on the moment as a brief visitor . . . filming in this way is very time intensive, with setting up shots and scenes etc, planning too as you go.
You would tend to lose the moment of a visitor, being so busy as a director / actor etc.

Keep it up, the format is very suited to YouTube and gathering a following of fans of this quirky technique.

Last edited:
I would love to see one such movie where basically every shot is from the sky. If you have one I'll take a look

Most of what this forum's members share in the Photos and Videos section are examples of this. But, again, they're not "movies" in the sense of having dialog or even a narrative. They just emphasize enjoyable scenery viewed from the air. Here are a couple from my channel. They're nowhere near as polished and well produced as what you create. But they also serve a very different purpose. I love seeing what different people do with the tools in their toolbox. We're all distinct in our creativity.

Most of what this forum's members share in the Photos and Videos section are examples of this. But, again, they're not "movies" in the sense of having dialog or even a narrative. They just emphasize enjoyable scenery viewed from the air. Here are a couple from my channel. They're nowhere near as polished and well produced as what you create. But they also serve a very different purpose. I love seeing what different people do with the tools in their toolbox. We're all distinct in our creativity.

Is Goblin Valley on this planet? Amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, I agree. Have watched many videos on here and really enjoyed them! As a matter of fact I was already subscribed to you haha. Thanks for the videos though, emphasizes your point! It was done nicely and definetely with a meaning, although a slightly different one from what I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the welcome. What you shot there is utterly beautiful, those purple tones in the beginning are insane! I use a Sony A7 iii on the ground, it's one of the best consumer cameras out there. I especially like the 120 fps slow mo, which you can see being utilized quite often
Welcome to the forum, shervink99!
Below is a video we shot only from the air. You've given us some great ideas on wha to do next. What video camera do you use on the ground?

Hi guys!

I have learnt a ton about filmmaking over the past year, and my videos have evolved accordingly. Where I earlier posted blatant videos consisting of drone shots only, I now use drone shots to further enhance what I have filmed from the ground. Take this video, for example. Every shot has a meaning, and serves the purpose of telling the story. I believe drone shots shine when they offer a different perspective to an otherwise boring scene. What do you think?

Well done, and good story line. The use of more than just drone shots kept my interest the full length of the video.

However...

Forget grand theft auto, you flew BVLOS. You've got some explaining to do, my friend.

First of all, thanks for your kind comments on the video. Secondly, I wonder where you believe I flew BVLOS? Could you please point that out to me?
Well done, and good story line. The use of more than just drone shots kept my interest the full length of the video.

However...

Forget grand theft auto, you flew BVLOS. You've got some explaining to do, my friend.

First of all, thanks for your kind comments on the video. Secondly, I wonder where you believe I flew BVLOS? Could you please point that out to me?
It was intended to be humorous. More humorous is that you have heightened sensitivity to BVLOS than the auto part

Welcome to the forum, shervink99!
Below is a video we shot only from the air. You've given us some great ideas on wha to do next. What video camera do you use on the ground?

I live in SF, and want to say I think you did an "Awesome" job of expressing a day in San Francisco. I too have a drone, and wish that I had the "*****" to take video in the areas you did and not get arrested! LOL. Most of the areas you filmed are "no-fly" zones! especially around the bridges! Glad you go away with it... Awesome video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in SF, and want to say I think you did an "Awesome" job of expressing a day in San Francisco. I too have a drone, and wish that I had the ***** to take video in the areas you did and not get arrested! LOL. Most of the areas you filmed are "no-fly" zones! especially around the bridges! Glad you go away with it... Awesome video.

It doesn't take balls to fly in SF, just research. Nothing we shot was illegal (though we did the video almost 1 1/2 years ago). You cannot take off or land FROM a bridge, or fly OVER it. We did neither. You cannot take off or land FROM an SF city park (like Coit Tower), but you can fly over it. The waterfront pier we shot from is still legal. I've been since told that that particular block on Lombard Street is now posted as a "no-drone zone'', probably due to complaints from the residents. I don't blame 'em. Check AirMap before you plan your shoot. Many of the small orange circles on the Air Map of SF are schools. The big one at Transamerica Tower is because there's a power plant in the building.

Just do your research, don't take off or land in "no drone zones", don't fly over schools, and you'll be fine. If someone asks you to leave, smile and do so.

On a subsequent trip we tried to fly from near the Ferry Bldg, until a security guard politely told us it was a "no-fly" zone. We thanked him and left. Same thing happened on a construction site on Treasure Island. We thanked the guy, and even offered to bring him a churro from Mateo's Churro Stand on the island. Nobody ever mentioned a ticket, a fine, or an arrest.

Last edited:
Hey man thanks a lot for your kind comments, really means a lot to me [emoji4] The opening shot in München was definetely my favorite as well, although I didn't know it was called the Olympic tent. Such a fitting name though! May I ask, are you German yourself?
VERY nicely done. I especially liked the reveal shot of the old Olympic tent, and it got even better from there. Great job!

Reactions: Hauptmann
Is Goblin Valley on this planet? Amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Yeah. It's a crazy place, very otherworldly. But best of all because it's a Utah state park, Goblin Valley is open for my kids to run and play amongst the rock formations and drones are welcome. Hoping to get back there soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kitkat