DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone site selection tool discrepancies

Airbeaver

Reactions
Hey guys, I’ve noticed there seems to be quite a discrepancy between allowed sites shown on the official drone site selection tool found here, Drone site selection tool | National Research Council Canada and the site selection tool on say UAV forecast / Airmap.

The UAV forecast app and Airmap show way more places that you are not allowed to fly, tons of little miscellaneous airports / aerdomes and most of them do not even show up on the official government tool or even google maps...

I’m inclined to go with the governments tool obviously the less restrictions the better however I do not want to do anything stupid. I’m a bit unclear on this and wondering if I should always be cross referencing multiple apps?

My voice of reason tells me if there are any restrictions on any map at all regardless of which one it is I shouldnt fly there but I am curious to hear what you guys say about it.

Last edited:
I used to look at website from TELUS that shows Canadian Airspace and figure out if I can fly or not. Then I found the website you mentioned, Drone Site Selection. So I compared the two and they show the same info, but Drone Site Selection is just so much easier to read.

I don’t look at Airmap or UAV forecast as they are from the US, meaning they are mainly following FAA (my assumption, I could be wrong). They are similar and will probably restrict more, and probably will keep you safe, but local law enforcement won’t care about it here in Canada. Now if you have to show law enforcement the Drone Site Selection website which is from a Canadian source, I’m assuming it’ll be more credible then any other source.

Bottom line, I use Drone Site Selection first to see if I can fly, then second is DJI geo fencing. If I’m good to go, I fly.

Fly safe.

Reactions: bcoles
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett