DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone stuck in tree in Split, Croatia

Vrb

Reactions
Hi,

Currently on vacation in Croatia and had my drone get stuck on a tree. I have the GPS coordinates but I can't see the drone from the ground at that location.

I'm going to try to climb the tree but I'm very weary to do so due to not having clear visual on the drone yet and due to not being an avid tree climber.

Any tips on how I can get it down or maybe if there's someone I can hire here to do so? I don't speak the language so it's quite hard to see if there's a service out there to help me out.

Thanks

Reactions: FASTFJR
Coordinates: 43.520179, 16.438219

Was flying in a park and got it stuck on a tree. Didn't have enough time to recover it due to a flight I have to catch ;(

Looks like it's gonna rain tonight so it's probably gonna be gone but I guess it'll be here till someone recovers it.

Screenshot is the last image I got from the camera

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190904-114255.png
    Screenshot_20190904-114255.png
    972.1 KB · Views: 155
WELCOME to the forum :)

Sorry about your aircraft getting stuck in a tree. Someone "might" find it and be able to reach out to you. Is your name & # on the aircraft?

WELCOME to the forum :)

Sorry about your aircraft getting stuck in a tree. Someone "might" find it and be able to reach out to you. Is your name & # on the aircraft?

Thanks for the welcome :) .

Unfortunately I did not, it's pretty much gone now since it's going to rain pretty bad tonight. Can you move the thread to Lost & Found? I think it might be more appropriate there.

Thanks for the welcome :) .

Unfortunately I did not, it's pretty much gone now since it's going to rain pretty bad tonight. Can you move the thread to Lost & Found? I think it might be more appropriate there.

It's a done deal. Hopefully someone in the area is a member here and is able to assist.

Good luck and SAFE travels :)
Allen

Hi,

Currently on vacation in Croatia and had my drone get stuck on a tree. I have the GPS coordinates but I can't see the drone from the ground at that location.

I'm going to try to climb the tree but I'm very weary to do so due to not having clear visual on the drone yet and due to not being an avid tree climber.

Any tips on how I can get it down or maybe if there's someone I can hire here to do so? I don't speak the language so it's quite hard to see if there's a service out there to help me out.

Thanks

If you can find another person with a drone, maybe you can solicit their help at least finding the drone in the tree. Don't get theirs stuck up there too :)

[nevermind, it's gone]

Last edited:
I got mine stuck about 30' up. I lashed 2 16' telescoping swimming pool poles together and scooped the drone out the tree, tense moments as the weight at the end of a 32' pole magnifies forces significantly ?

Reactions: frank candor
Hi,

Thanks
I was in Croatia 3 weeks ago. Most of them speak good English.

We’re in Croatia next spring and in Split. Send pic of the tree. / gps co-ordinates. Did you take video / pics in Croatia?

I'm heading to Europe on Saturday. Part of my trip will take me to Dubrovnik, but I'm trying to work in Split. If you want to DM me whatever details, photos, etc you have then I'll go on a quick hunt for it. I love geocaching and this would totally take my game to the next level!

What model and color was it?

It's a done deal. Hopefully someone in the area is a member here and is able to assist.

Good luck and SAFE travels :)
Allen

Unfortunately. Thanks!

I was in Croatia 3 weeks ago. Most of them speak good English.

Yes most do! I did talk to my hostel's host and a cop but neither could think of any service or place I may go to solicit help, plus due to having a flight I was limited on time.

We’re in Croatia next spring and in Split. Send pic of the tree. / gps co-ordinates. Did you take video / pics in Croatia?

I'm heading to Europe on Saturday. Part of my trip will take me to Dubrovnik, but I'm trying to work in Split. If you want to DM me whatever details, photos, etc you have then I'll go on a quick hunt for it. I love geocaching and this would totally take my game to the next level!

What model and color was it?

My response to the both of you -

I have attached a picture of the tree that I believe it is stuck in. The friend I was with said he saw the drone fall on this tree and the GPS coordinates leads right to the area of the tree that would be the top left area in the image.

Here is a link to my flight logs - DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

The final reported latitude + longitude as stated in the flight logs: 43.52017919, 16.4382189

The drone is a DJI Mavic Air Onyx Black.

THANK YOU for all your guys' help! ?

on a side note: If you're in Split I think this area is a great place to launch your drone from. (aslong as you don't get it stuck on a tree) It's in the middle of the city, legal and I rarely saw anyone walk by.

Attachments

• IMG_20190906_143034.jpg
    IMG_20190906_143034.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Leave a reward letter/sign with your address in a bag tied to the tree?

Good luck and sorry!

Hi,

Thanks

Can't help you with the tree however most people at least in Dubrovnik speak English

first time I got my drone stuck in a tree, had to traverse through rough thorny brush a half a mile, luckily the battery
was still running and I could hear it. it was about 70 feet up with no options of climbing the tree. went back the next day with a machete and a wrist rocket. took me 70 shots to hit the branch that held it, hit a bunch of branches and leaves on the way down but survived !! I bring the wrist rocket with me all the time now.
lol, only a 3 week pilot here

Reactions: WWMav
This is a horrible and unfortunate event. Any update to this thread? We'd all like to know if our brother got his drone back or if those that were visiting Croatia were able to help. Truly sad ending . . .

This happened to me once. I was never able to find it even though I have the exact coordinates. It happens.

This happened to me once. I was never able to find it even though I have the exact coordinates. It happens.
yeah they tend to blend in with the trees. the beeping is necessary.
arborists can be expensive depending on where you are. even if you don't want them to bring it down safely, they'll still charge for sending out 2 guys to suit up. find the guy online that advertises himself as budget and has no reviews... and if you call him and he sounds drunk - you found the right guy.

it might just be cheaper to get it down yourself ungracefully and use dji care. maybe too late for this one, but here's something to try...
and if anyone is readying this standing under a tree in despair - just head to the sporting goods store for this shopping list:
- wrist slingshot ($10-$15)
- 1oz disk sinker (i think i got a water gremlin pack of 14 1oz disks for $6)
- 80lb fishing line ($25?) get what you can on the fishing line, but keep in mind what you're asking of it and make sure it is going to handle it.

this is dangerous.. don't shoot yourself with the slingshot... don't drop the drone on your head... don't drop anything out of the tree that you don't want falling out..etc
basically you're going to thread the fishing line through the sinker and tie it off. unwind enough line to make sure you have enough untangled slack (good luck) to cleanly send the sinker over and back down from the offending branch that is holding the drone.... and then use the slingshot to send the sinker over the branch... or through the drone.
you now have a rope on the branch to take out your frustrations until it coughs out your drone.
those 1oz disk sinkers are a brutal combination with the wrist slingshot - don't let any kids see you doing this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+