DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone took off on its own.

Still with bad GPS is should respond to controller input..
@OP: Did you try to control it or just and only try the CSC?

Reactions: minimpw
So a lot of that flight data can be ignored as the motors weren't even on. Looking at the log where the motors were in operation, I see that that the drone behaved based a series of erratic inputs on the controller. I followed those inputs very carefully, and the drone was moving according to said inputs until you landed it again. You then picked up the drone and walked around with it while it was still on afterwards.

And thats exactly what I can't figure out. The only time I touch the control was when I started the motors, raised it up a few feet to hover and when it took off with its crazy flight plan, I tried the emergency shut down with pointing the sticks down and out. It was skipping all over the place. Other then that, I was not controlling it with that flight.
One of the very early posts contained a YouTube of a guy retrieving some logs from the RC. If so,these logs might contain the stick movements. I'm not sure it would help here as there isn't any way to analyze them. But, you could contact DJI support and see if they can access and analyze RC logs.

Looking at that image and not having a chance to look at the data, my first impression is that it's a poor location for good GPS reception due to the houses and trees. The track is recorded by GPS but that's not necessarily what the aircraft did as a flight path - at least not that noisily. That said, whatever the "intent" the same noisy GPS would affect the flight path to some degree depending on what was driving the "intent".

I often record GPS data for other things and the path in the image above is what I get when reception conditions are poor - such as in deep woods with heavy foliage.

I say this a lot: Never start the motors without good GPS reception. 12 sats or more if possible.
Corollary: start the drone in an area with good conditions for GPS: open, no obstacles or masking.
Still with bad GPS is should respond to controller input..
@OP: Did you try to control it or just and only try the CSC?

I only tried the CSC emergency shut off.

So a lot of that flight data can be ignored as the motors weren't even on. Looking at the log where the motors were in operation, I see that that the drone behaved based a series of erratic inputs on the controller. I followed those inputs very carefully, and the drone was moving according to said inputs until you landed it again. You then picked up the drone and walked around with it while it was still on afterwards.

So do you think that the controller was malfunctioning? Sending false commands? Im afraid to have this happen again.

Yes you are correct, I did pick it up when it landed in the snow bank and it was still on. At that point the motors were off.

So do you think that the controller was malfunctioning? Sending false commands? Im afraid to have this happen again.

Yes you are correct, I did pick it up when it landed in the snow bank and it was still on. At that point the motors were off.
There's no way to know. How about uploading the flight log from your phone to see if the RC registered different movements.

Was it windy outside?

And why when someone tells a story of how the drone messed up and flew away or crashed, that I prefer reading the flight logs, to corroborate the story.
And thanks from all of us for doing so. Want to help but information voids and "confusion" Doesn't help.

Thread is confusing because 'took off' to me (here in the UK) means, from landed, it started its motors and started flying.
But in America 'took off' means, in this case, 'flew away'.

Thread is confusing because 'took off' to me (here in the UK) means, from landed, it started its motors and started flying.
But in America 'took off' means, in this case, 'flew away'.

Your girlfriend took off with another man. I even saw the plane when it took off.

American English is context sensitive. Just like British English.

"The United States and England are two great countries separated by a common language."
-George Bernard Shaw (or Churchill or ...)

Here is some details of what happened.

I turned on my remote, mounted the iPad to the remote, started the DJI Go app, forgot to tether the iPad to the remote, turned on the Mavic, waited until the GPS kicked in, started the motors, raised the Mavic to about 4 feet and hovered, then without touching the sticks on the remote the Mavic took off in a crazy flight path. The only thing that I did on the remote when the Mavic was flying crazy, was tried the emergency CSC shutdown. It did not shut down. The Mavic stopped only after flying into a snow bank.

Here is the DAT File Dropbox - DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-03-14_19-33-59.DAT
I had to pull the DAT file from the Mavic, because the iPad was not connected at the time of flight.

Any ideas would be helpful.
I don't believe you can do a CSC while the bird is flying for obvious reasons.

I don't believe you can do a CSC while the bird is flying for obvious reasons.
A CSC should work mid-flight as long as the "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "Stop Motor Method" setting is not set to "For use in emergencies only".

Several months ago my Mavic veered swiftly and madly off to the side from a hover, not far in front of me. Pushing pause got it to eventually hover after the arc saw it off the wharf and over water and towards a tree and bush.
It was magnetic interference. This was on the flight log. It happened so quickly that there was no time to see anything on the screen, if there even was any mention of it when it happened.
I had flown my Mavic further back along the wharf with no issues. Where I had taken it off from this new position there was lots of close metal struts used to repair the concrete side rails. They were hard to see and I lcoated them only on closer inspection after the event.

Your girlfriend took off with another man. I even saw the plane when it took off.

American English is context sensitive. Just like British English.

"The United States and England are two great countries separated by a common language."
-George Bernard Shaw (or Churchill or ...)
When the woman "took off" her hat and sunglasses, he realized that it was his ex-wife

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4