DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Zoom Capability

Gray_seagull

Reactions
To all drone pilots:

For the next generation of drones, say Mavic 2 or Phantom 5

Do you think it is a good idea to have good zoom capability in drones’ cameras?

And why?

Optical zoom would be good in a way, you could fly further away from people, less noise on the ground, less noticeable flying, etc.
Probably though, most 4k video and just shooting overview landscape etc, you just don't need it, and, if (when) Joe Public finds out these 'spy drones' have better camera capabilities, you can bet more paranoid people will make life harder for drone operators.

Dont see the need. It'll add weight and bulk to the camera (as well as a lot of cost) and most likely require a stronger gimbal.
The more zoomed in you are the more tiny variations in stability you'll see from the gimbal so the image wont be as steady.
Then you have potential privacy and security concerns to add to the technical problems.

Can't see it happening as there isnt really any benefit at all for a consumer drone.

Better a bigger sensor than a zoom -- it would accomplish the same thing in this scenario.

Reactions: Bunny Too
The Walkera Voyager 4 has a 18x zoom, as well as the ability to use a cellular control signal for around $3000-$3500, depending on the seller. Perfect for inspection or security work, but someone could get into REAL trouble with one of these bad boys.

People don't act grown up when flying a wide angled mavic around people. I can only imagine how much worse it'd be if these idiots get a zoom lens.

It is obvious that what concerns most of us is the misuse by idiots and the privacy issue. I believe that people who think that way should feel the same about other gadgets such as ultra zoom cameras and scopes. As a drone owner, I would love to have much better camera specs including the zoom feature. How many times I wanted to take photos of things and places but I couldn't. I just didn't have enough juice in my batteries to take me there. Having the zoom feature can help in exploring further distances while maintaining VLOS and utilize the battery more efficiently.
If you consider your drone a flying camera then why not have it full fledged.

You get enough dirty looks off people wandering round with a DSLR with a big white lens on. I can't even begin to imagine the total paranoia if a drone had a zoom.

You get enough dirty looks off people wandering round with a DSLR with a big white lens on. I can't even begin to imagine the total paranoia if a drone had a zoom.
The good thing about zooming is that no one can see or hear your drone. Just like using the Nikon P900

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackhour